ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, reverting back to the men’s program….

curtisj157

HR All-State
Aug 26, 2021
IMG-9985.gif

This sums it up for about 3 decades.

There really are no rules for paying players anymore. Use some of that TV money that Iowa will get when the Big 10 expands. I'll never give my money to pay college kids to play ball. To many things I'd rather do with my money.
I'm pretty sure that the one actual rule is that colleges can't pay athletes beyond educational experiences. The NIL collectives have no restrictions.

I think eventually there will be revenue sharing, which could help balance the playing field a bit.

Donated to Swarm monthly since inception, but we need some big money to step up. Don’t we have like a billion dollars of salaries in the NFL?!!? Why aren’t these guys providing some NIL??
Yeah, and there's this Iowa fan named Ashton Kutcher that's supposedly worth $250M. And I would think Tom Arnold has some money as well. Not sure if those guys contribute anything or not.

Passing around the collection plate and asking message board geeks like us to carry the NIL probably is not realistic. Checking my couch cushions.. Nope, didn't find hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just a few potato chip crumbs.

Yeah, and there's this Iowa fan named Ashton Kutcher that's supposedly worth $250M. And I would think Tom Arnold has some money as well. Not sure if those guys contribute anything or not.

Passing around the collection plate and asking message board geeks like us to carry the NIL probably is not realistic. Checking my couch cushions.. Nope, didn't find hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just a few potato chip crumbs.

Moneybags over here subtlety bragging that he can afford chips.

The NIL money isn't that much...it is very doable for Iowa fans to move the needle on NIL. The figure I saw for I-club annual donations is around $15 million/yr......that money is being donated to the athletic department would be program changing if it went to NIL instead of being given to a bloated iowa Athletic Department.

.The existing donation money just needs to be redirected and you need leadership at the very top...School president, AD, Big boosters, the head coaches. We just lack leadership and/Or the mega money that on their own can make a differece.....like Tyson family money at Arkansas.

This board is full of people that loudly say they'd never give to NIL or they have better causes. Hopefully they're really giving to other causes instead of not giving anything.

If you are paying for Live sports like Youtube TV, you are already donating to the existing NCAA bureaucracy, fat cat coaches, and the employees that oversee sports in NCAA, Big10, etc. The Iowa AD is at $150 million/year business and lot of money being made by non-athletes. I don't think Tony Perkins pulling in $250K is that outrageous compared to Fran's $3.2 million.

This board is full of people that loudly say they'd never give to NIL or they have better causes. Hopefully they're really giving to other causes instead of not giving anything.
Well, I don't give to NIL and have no plans to - not because I can't afford it or have other causes I believe in, I just don't like NIL. I don't give to the NRA either (not trying to compare the two, just pointing out that NOT giving to something is a personal choice, just as giving is).

So a response to this might be, If you don't give to NIL you can't complain about the lousy results." Well, I think I can LEGALLY still bitch about the results ;) , but I generally don't anyway.

NIL is in the process of ruining college football and basketball. I'm not going to assist in that effort.

The NIL money isn't that much...it is very doable for Iowa fans to move the needle on NIL. The figure I saw for I-club annual donations is around $15 million/yr......that money is being donated to the athletic department would be program changing if it went to NIL instead of being given to a bloated iowa Athletic Department.

.The existing donation money just needs to be redirected and you need leadership at the very top...School president, AD, Big boosters, the head coaches. We just lack leadership and/Or the mega money that on their own can make a differece.....like Tyson family money at Arkansas.

If you are paying for Live sports like Youtube TV, you are already donating to the existing NCAA bureaucracy, fat cat coaches, and the employees that oversee sports in NCAA, Big10, etc. The Iowa AD is at $150 million/year business and lot of money being made by non-athletes. I don't think Tony Perkins pulling in $250K is that outrageous compared to Fran's $3.2 million.
I hope the big donors come through with the over $1000 donations and designate them all to the non revenue sports. What portion of name/image/likeness is a donation to a conglomerate utilizing? The whole thing is a joke and so are the people who try to talk down to fans who have other uses for their money. Donate if you want but don't tell people they're the big bad for watching on a streaming service. Also don't attend games, all of that money is "donated" to everyone but the athletes.

I hope the big donors come through with the over $1000 donations and designate them all to the non revenue sports. What portion of name/image/likeness is a donation to a conglomerate utilizing? The whole thing is a joke and so are the people who try to talk down to fans who have other uses for their money. Donate if you want but don't tell people they're the big bad for watching on a streaming service. Also don't attend games, all of that money is "donated" to everyone but the athletes.
Perkins should command about 10 dollars an hour

Its more like a $200 million business (already at $167 million in 23 FY, and in 2025 and beyond, the B1G revenue is set to explode by $40 million per year to a total in the low $100+). I agree completely what we are seeing is the leadership component at Iowa is not serious about competing at the highest level as a whole. I think this is an epidemic in the B1G that stems from the league being run by academics since its earliest days and state legislatures who wanted athletics expenditures off of the books and then when revenue took off with TV, finally wanted some of it directly to the university at large.

If you look at UConn, that university doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Endowment shy of $600 million and athletics generates revenues slightly less than $50 million, expenses totalling almost $100 million, the shortfall charged to the university general fund, but that university has 6 nattys in MBB and 11 in WBB, nearly all in the 21st century.

How the heck are they the superior program in those sports? Boils down to the attitudes and leadership. They invested while our admins collected and live high on the hog. Its a political thing at its core. We settle for Fran, they fire Kevin Ollie 2 years removed from winning a natty because he doesn't meet their standards. Now with NIL, guarantee you they've found new ways to funnel cash to recruits while the university sits on its hands and makes it the alumni's problem, and they even have the audacity to charge the collective to advertise and refuse to give donor lists to the collective. Its absurdity,

Its more like a $200 million business (already at $167 million in 23 FY, and in 2025 and beyond, the B1G revenue is set to explode by $40 million per year to a total in the low $100+). I agree completely what we are seeing is the leadership component at Iowa is not serious about competing at the highest level as a whole. I think this is an epidemic in the B1G that stems from the league being run by academics since its earliest days and state legislatures who wanted athletics expenditures off of the books and then when revenue took off with TV, finally wanted some of it directly to the university at large.

If you look at UConn, that university doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Endowment shy of $600 million and athletics generates revenues slightly less than $50 million, expenses totalling almost $100 million, the shortfall charged to the university general fund, but that university has 6 nattys in MBB and 11 in WBB, nearly all in the 21st century.

How the heck are they the superior program in those sports? Boils down to the attitudes and leadership. They invested while our admins collected and live high on the hog. Its a political thing at its core. We settle for Fran, they fire Kevin Ollie 2 years removed from winning a natty because he doesn't meet their standards. Now with NIL, guarantee you they've found new ways to funnel cash to recruits while the university sits on its hands and makes it the alumni's problem, and they even have the audacity to charge the collective to advertise and refuse to give donor lists to the collective. Its absurdity,
The powers that be at Iowa just don't care about athletics or winning. I am 100% convinced of that.

They are not seeing the big picture. Athletic success is actually beneficial to the University as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT