ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma High School Students Doing Oklahoma Things to Ruin Their Short Term Futures

NoleATL

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
My thoughts:
1) I imagine they frequently hear this word at home
2) Its good their faces are now plastered across the forever internet, we need a picture of their parents as well
3) They clearly thought their society would support this action
4) I'm guessing a good Christian university like Liberty will be offering them a scholarship

OK High School Students Form Sign Spelling N-Word​

September 22, 2024

The Oklahoman reports:
The Tishomingo Public Schools superintendent issued an apology Thursday and canceled Friday’s homecoming activities and football game after a photo of six high school students displaying a racial slur went viral on social media.
The image depicts six Tishomingo High School boys wearing Scrabble tiles spelling out a racial slur, an action that the school district’s superintendent, Brandon Moreland, called an, “extremely poor decision” in a statement.
Some community members on social media said the students depicted are football players for Tishomingo High School and that the photo was taken as part of spirit week for the school. On Monday, students were encouraged to wear a black shirt to receive a random Scrabble tile to attach to themselves.
Sports Illustrated reports:
“Racism and discrimination, in any form, will never be tolerated or accepted on our campus and is not reflective of the values of our students, school, or community,” said superintendent Brandon Moreland. “Our student body and staff include community members from all backgrounds, races, and religions, which is one of many aspects that makes our campus exceptional.”
The announcement came late Thursday afternoon. In addition to the game, the homecoming parade was also canceled due to “safety and security” concerns.
“While it is unfortunate that the actions of a few are impacting a longstanding tradition enjoyed by many in our community, discussions with our local law enforcement partners reinforce the district’s decision to cancel, prioritizing the safety of Tishomingo and Antlers students, fans, and participants,” read a notice announcing the cancellations.

My thoughts:
2) Its good their faces are now plastered across the forever internet, we need a picture of their parents as well
4) I'm guessing a good Christian university like Liberty will be offering them a scholarship

September 22, 2024

The Oklahoman reports:

Awkward The Office GIF

My thoughts:

September 22, 2024

The Oklahoman reports:

Their state head of education approves of it. Pretty sure.

I honestly thought that when I googled this I would find that this was photoshopped, or there was a context to this that would make some kind of sense. But, unfortunately, these kids just thought it was a funny idea. Small rural town in America. The people in town claim it’s not representative of the town, but it’s hard to imagine it does t represent a significant portion of the town.

I honestly thought that when I googled this I would find that this was photoshopped, or there was a context to this that would make some kind of sense. But, unfortunately, these kids just thought it was a funny idea. Small rural town in America. The people in town claim it’s not representative of the town, but it’s hard to imagine it does t represent a significant portion of the town.
I was thinking the same thing about it being photoshopped…apparently not….

100%

Reactions: noleclone2
To say it boggles the mind would just not be sufficient.
The entire state should be embarrassed.

You may not know it but this is a state with a high number of residents who have Native American heritage. If you have a certain percentage you get enrolled in a tribe and you can get free college tuition. How can they be like this?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
My thoughts:

September 22, 2024

The Oklahoman reports:

Why do you want pictures of their parents?

Why while condemning bigotry you in turn engage in bigotry towards a religion?

Same

Blaming the “Others”, has been around a long long time i’m afraid
Oh it has for sure but growing up in the 80s/90s for middle school to college years and in the deep south you did not see stuff like this in the open. The few obviously racist rednecks would never do stuff like this at school and take pictures to share. Maybe I am biased as a GenX’r, the first generation where white people, myself included, grew up enjoying and even embracing black culture and having black heroes (athletes, musicians, actors, comedians) but it feels like now race relations between black and white are worse. They peaked around 2008, for some reason I can’t seem to put my finger on, and have been receding last 16 years.

I mean this isn’t great at all but let’s give the kids credit for spelling correctly. It’s a public school after all.

We are regressing as a country. Literally going backwards.
Not really. Feel we’re more connected to dumbass behavior. I remember going to an Iowa High School BB game in the 90’s. One of the refs was black. The game was in Knoxville. So a bunch of the students whore giant K t-shirts. Always made sure to have a blank space after every 3 K’s

• Wow
Not really. Feel we’re more connected to dumbass behavior. I remember going to an Iowa High School BB game in the 90’s. One of the refs was black. The game was in Knoxville. So a bunch of the students whore giant K t-shirts. Always made sure to have a blank space after every 3 K’s
Interesting. Maybe I am off since I grew up and was raised in and area where black people are 20-30% or more of population and that stuff would have been gigantic chit storm in the 90s. Might be different in a place where they are 1-2% population. Little easier to get away with it no consequences to health or academic career.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
Interesting. Maybe I am off since I grew up and was raised in and area where black people are 20-30% or more of population and that stuff would have been gigantic chit storm in the 90s. Might be different in a place where they are 1-2% population. Little easier to get away with it no consequences to health or academic career.
If I remember correctly the ref stopped the game and made the vice principal resolve the situation. They had the shirts covered until tip off. Think they had to put them back on.

My thoughts:

September 22, 2024

The Oklahoman reports:

Learned it in Bible class, I’m sure.

Reactions: hawksense and Torg
Oh it has for sure but growing up in the 80s/90s for middle school to college years and in the deep south you did not see stuff like this in the open. The few obviously racist rednecks would never do stuff like this at school and take pictures to share. Maybe I am biased as a GenX’r, the first generation where white people, myself included, grew up enjoying and even embracing black culture and having black heroes (athletes, musicians, actors, comedians) but it feels like now race relations between black and white are worse. They peaked around 2008, for some reason I can’t seem to put my finger on, and have been receding last 16 years.
I do agree things have been getting worse in last 16 years. I had hope that things were about to change for the better. I had the same feelings though in 1964 with the passage of the Cival Rights act, and in many ways things did change for the better, not for everyone by any means but a baby step I’d hoped . Hope and change is a thing many of us strive for, just like trying to form a more perfect Union but not everyone cares for those high ideals. Best we can hope for I think is people treat each other as they’d themselves like to be treated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT