ADVERTISEMENT

On ESPN...

If Iowa is 7-0, a large segment of message board posters will be critical of Kirks' in-game coaching, that some game was closer than it should have been, etc.

As it stands now, this is a weak line-up of opponents. That could certainly change if one of the many teams on the schedule that looks like a dog now has a much better than expected season that will make a significant difference.
With only 12 games in football we're talking about a small number making a significant difference.
Even with the weak line-up this year( if the opponents hold to form) 10-2 would be a solid season and get them a January bowl. Even assuming losses to the only quality teams on the schedule (nebby and wisky).
While 8-4 wouldn't be bad, it would be without any quality wins(again assuming form holds).
It's only a 2 game difference, but I just see 10 wins(no top 25 wins) as a significantly better season than 8 wins(no top 25 wins).

No, no they won't admit they were wrong. They will just scream for NCs, and then when Iowa stumbles they will pounce, oh will they pounce.

You may not remember but there were people calling for National Championships prior to last season, people calling in to the radio with that nonsense.

I agree that there are some posters on here would actively want Iowa to lose right now, and that is sad.
If Iowa piss-pounded all of these lackluster foes on the way to MIRACULOUSLY being 7-0, that's one thing. Quite another to beat the Sisters of the Poor in a series of "screamers" and shout from the rooftops "We're 7-0"!

Let's just say I'm a bit skeptical that either of those things are going to take place.

Reactions: BuckRussel
Iowa plays Wisconsin, NU and annual pain in the a$$ on the road....and the media darling goofers that are deemed a preseason quality win for every other team....and the other annual pain in the a$$ that periodically challenge(and that beat the cheese heads last year). The schedule argument is old, tired, and lacks real understanding.

Exactly. People talk about how great Boise st has been last 10 years with their record. Yet you see who they play and no wonder why. Granted I'll give them credit they beat the one power 5 team On their schedule earlier usually. But unless a team is one of the 4 playoff teams who cares what SOS was at the end of the season. Minus ISU fans using it to justify their lackluster record.

Yeah, but Boise St. destroyed the weaker teams on their schedule like you would expect a top team would. They weren't inching out wins vs teams like Ball St. and UNI.

With this schedule, going 7-5 this season would in reality be a 4 or 5 win season if we had a strength of schedule even in the middle of the pack among the Power 5 schools.
But then you said "You are what your record says you are". Which is it?

It w
But then you said "You are what your record says you are". Which is it?

It was a 7 win team that played a very crappy schedule with the teams on it and had it been a more difficult schedule, likely a 4 or 5 win team. Tough time comprehending?

It w

It was a 7 win team that played a very crappy schedule with the teams on it and had it been a more difficult schedule, likely a 4 or 5 win team. Tough time comprehending?
That's all you got? You're the one who made the contradictory statements. I comprehend just fine.

Based on assumptions ISU's schedule is brutal.

If Iowa scheduled Toledo and Northern Iowa would you say they scheduled tough out of conference opponents? Im guessing not.

5 of ISU's 9 game conference schedules were against .500 or below teams last year. So again, that tough schedule is being based off of assumptions that the below teams will be better.

Texas TEch 4-8
Kansas 3-9
Oklahoma State 6-6
Texas 6-6
W Virginia 6-6

Oklahoma was 7-5.

Fortunate to get 4 wins? If iowa got 4 wins against that schedule would you be happy?
Not brain surgery here. Iowa would be lucky to get 4 wins against ISU's schedule. Iowa State is not very good. Iowa State beat Iowa last year and will beat Iowa again this year. So what's your point? With ISU's schedule, Iowa is a 4-win team ... Did I make that clear enough for you?

It w

You are spot on. Iowa was a 4 or 5-win team least year with any sort of a tougher schedule. The koolaid drinkers will try to continue to spit shine the lump of coal that is Iowa football.

Reactions: frydaze
I am guessing that because of that "cupcake" schedule we should at least notch 6 or 7 wins. That being said, I do not think this is a 7-win team. If we had ISU's schedule we would be fortunate to get 4 wins. No joke. ISU's schedule is brutal ... And we would struggle with it almost as much as they will struggle ...

No, isu schedule is not brutal. They play three non-conference games with Iowa being the 'best' of the three (and we already are aware from you, Des Moines Hawki, that Iowa is terrible) then go to big xii that features a three win team (Kansas), a four win team (Tech) and a six win team (Texas) along with Okie State that also won six regular season games. Throw in 7-6 West Virginia and you have the makings of eight teams on the schedule that are anything but daunting.

Give up the comparisons if you truly want to be perceived as a Hawk fan. The tired lament of 'if we only played in the Big Ten' and/or 'if we only played Iowa's schedule' is meaningless as witnessed by over 100 years of football futility in Ames, Iowa.

It w

So then Iowa will not be as good as their record indicates unless they win 4 or 5 games (or less) this season. Got it. Thanks.

Is a 10-win Iowa team really a 7-win team then or still a 4 or 5 win team that lucked out in 5 or 6 more games? I guess we need a graph then to map out what Iowa's win totals would hypothetically/"actually" be with a tougher schedule in comparison to the number of games they end up winning in 2015.

That is unless of course it's a fixed number of 4 or 5 wins, meaning we could hypothetically win 12 games and actually only be a 4 or 5 win team that just got lucky with an easy schedule and got some breaks against the good teams we played at the end of the season whoever and wherever that may have been......hypothetically speaking.

Which is why I'm asking.

P.S. don't worry too much with the thought of us winning 10-12 games etc. I know it bothers you when you have to argue against that. Besides we're only winning 5 games this year after all....

Iowa has the easiest schedule of any team in the Power 5 conferences...

So, should we feel accomplished if we go 10-2 or should we feel like it is a 8-4 season...

This is the problem I have with cupcake schedules... You can brag about a 10-2 record, but if Iowa goes 10-2 with losses being Wisconsin and Pittsburgh/Nebraska how proud can we be? Notable wins would be Maryland and Pitt/Nebraska... After that it would be Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, or Iowa State?
You really believe that ESPN knows that much about strength of schedule? . I think it is arrogant for fans to go around belittling the teams on our schedule. Illinois State is one of the top FCS teams in the country and would give most of the Power 5 teams a run for their money. Iowa State is a Big 12 team that always plays tough against us. Pittsburgh is a team that always recruits well and now they have Pat Narduzzi as their coach. They will be plenty tough. I'm sure McCarney will have North Texas fired up for a shot at the Hawks. Wisconsin and Nebraska are teams that have been winning 9 or 10 games per season for quite awhile. Minnesota was a Top 25-30 team last year and they say they will be tougher this year. Fitz has been recruiting pretty well at Northwestern and they believe they will bounce back this year. Indiana has a damm good offense and Maryland is another team that recruits well and has a good coach. Illinois and Purdue are improving programs as well. So I for one think it is arrogant to go around complaining about how "easy " the schedule is.

The weak Iowa schedule this year might be one of the Reason that Stanley Jackson picked Iowa as his "Dark Horse" for 2015 in the BIG10 last night on BTN.

No different than Kirk Herbsteit put Iowa on that list in 2014. In 2014, Iowa had to replace 3 very good LBs and a slew on special teams. It was a disappointing season in 2014. It will be interesting to see how hungry the 2015 team becomes ...

You really believe that ESPN knows that much about strength of schedule? . I think it is arrogant for fans to go around belittling the teams on our schedule. Illinois State is one of the top FCS teams in the country and would give most of the Power 5 teams a run for their money. Iowa State is a Big 12 team that always plays tough against us. Pittsburgh is a team that always recruits well and now they have Pat Narduzzi as their coach. They will be plenty tough. I'm sure McCarney will have North Texas fired up for a shot at the Hawks. Wisconsin and Nebraska are teams that have been winning 9 or 10 games per season for quite awhile. Minnesota was a Top 25-30 team last year and they say they will be tougher this year. Fitz has been recruiting pretty well at Northwestern and they believe they will bounce back this year. Indiana has a damm good offense and Maryland is another team that recruits well and has a good coach. Illinois and Purdue are improving programs as well. So I for one think it is arrogant to go around complaining about how "easy " the schedule is.
Which is why most people are predicting a 4-6 win season at best.....they're just putting all the blame on Iowa and the coaching staff for that happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT