ADVERTISEMENT

On my way home from work today.

SpyderHawk

HR All-American
Gold Member
Feb 29, 2020
I noticed several Trump/Pence signs in yards and along the highway. Not one Biden/Harris sign. My drive is an hour and covers a few communities as well as farm country. From what I've been reading on HROT I found that interesting.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
ano8ZbM.gif

I noticed several Trump/Pence signs in yards and along the highway. Not one Biden/Harris sign. My drive is an hour and covers a few communities as well as farm country. From what I've been reading on HROT I found that interesting.

Spyder I am sorry your commute takes you past so many trailer parks and barns. Are you sure those weren’t just Beck Hybrid seed company signs?

For me HROT reads that most people can't stand Trump and the tide will turn in a blow out. I'm not heavy into politics anymore and was just making an observation.
I think this has a lot to do with populist candidates. I noticed way more Bernie signs than any other Democratic nominee by a mile. Trump supporters are YUGE supporters and will do everything they can to make sure people know it.

We went up to Lake Wisconsin this last weekend and noticed a house in a rural area that had a huge Trump flag and a large banner on the porch that read "Keep America Great". They are very loud and proud. Ironically, they weren't flying an American flag though.

I'm just pumped you still have a job. I had heard the unions been on strike. Figured you might be down on your luck. Its tough....
Get the reference. Good one! As far as work load we are working mandatory OT. That's a good thing when we get paid. On the flip side it sucks getting up in the middle of the night on your day off.

Spyder I am sorry your commute takes you past so many trailer parks and barns. Are you sure those weren’t just Beck Hybrid seed company signs?
No, and I knew someone would say that. More like a blend. Rich farmers and Country club types mixed in with the rest of us. I knew this would come up. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: rivalhawks
I think this has a lot to do with populist candidates. I noticed way more Bernie signs than any other Democratic nominee by a mile. Trump supporters are YUGE supporters and will do everything they can to make sure people know it.

We went up to Lake Wisconsin this last weekend and noticed a house in a rural area that had a huge Trump flag and a large banner on the porch that read "Keep America Great". They are very loud and proud. Ironically, they weren't flying an American flag though.
They are a very vocal minority, for sure.

I see quite a few Trump shrines in my travels across Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. Granted, they are all out in rural areas.

For me HROT reads that most people can't stand Trump and the tide will turn in a blow out. I'm not heavy into politics anymore and was just making an observation.

Actually, I think you might be onto something. I have a similar sense; that while the Democrats are making far more noise, Trump is quietly picking up support as voters begin to consider the options seriously.

The people who live right around us seem to be mostly Trump supporters and most of those we meet while out and about seem to be wondering why they are supposed to "hate" our president. When we are talking to strangers, they quickly work the conversation around to politics by asking us who we will be voting for. (I think we must give off some "older well-informed white couple" vibe. I think they are looking for confirmation of what they are thinking amidst an onslaught of information from the other side that they either do not understand or do not care about. They are mostly horrified at the thought of a coming police state and find AOC and her "Squad" deserving of mockery. No one has any interest in the "Green New Deal," or in paying higher taxes. They all think Joe Biden is lame and both a reincarnation of Mrs. Clinton and a Trojan Horse for Bernie. On the other hand, no one is talking about "draining the swamp" or energy independence. They like that we are lowering our presence in the Middle East, but ISIS is out-of-sight-out-of-mind. They have forgotten the Iraq war and the Afghan war. They view Trump as a war stopper and not as a war starter; screw that whole nation-building thing. They do not care that tyrants are creeping back into power around the globe. People seem to blame Covid on our government, but not on any particular politician. Most seem to regard it as Much-Ado over something; they are just not quite sure what that something is.

I did have a nice older black lady remark to me that "we" just have to get rid of Trump ... assuming that I felt the same, but that is about the only recent incident that comports with the HROT worldview.

This just does not appear to be an issues-based election. My overall sense is that this is going to come down to an election day coin flip and will depend on the state of events during the week leading up to the election. ... and perhaps even the debates.

Last edited:
A lot of $60k pickups on I-35 in Iowa/MN and I-90 in WI/IL with those Trump window flags. There are Trump flags and signs all over the rural upper midwest, including Wisconsin. I was surprised at the number of Trump flags flying in the Iron Range and outside of Duluth. That's staunch DFL territory but with the slow death of the mining industry up there, hardly a surprise.

My neighbor, a doctor of Indian (subcontinent) extraction at Mayo flies one. I'm not one to fly political flags or allow signs in my yard. I find those to be somewhat tacky and it's no one's business whom I'm supporting politically. I'm guessing the Biden/Harris stuff will be out soon. I saw a Biden sticker on the back of a Subaru in uptown Mpls today.

They are a very vocal minority, for sure.

I see quite a few Trump shrines in my travels across Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. Granted, they are all out in rural areas.

I don't understand why they use the Nixon "silent majority" moniker. Do they own a dictionary?

Reactions: TheCainer
A lot of $60k pickups on I-35 in Iowa/MN and I-90 in WI/IL with those Trump window flags. There are Trump flags and signs all over the rural upper midwest, including Wisconsin. I was surprised at the number of Trump flags flying in the Iron Range and outside of Duluth. That's staunch DFL territory but with the slow death of the mining industry up there, hardly a surprise.

My neighbor, a doctor of Indian (subcontinent) extraction at Mayo flies one. I'm not one to fly political flags or allow signs in my yard. I find those to be somewhat tacky and it's no one's business whom I'm supporting politically. I'm guessing the Biden/Harris stuff will be out soon. I saw a Biden sticker on the back of a Subaru in uptown Mpls today.

I'll trade the Iron Range for Arizona to continue to trend the way of New Mexico, Nevada and Colorado ten ways to Sunday.

The independents who are voting for him are the silent ones. As with any politicos, there's a vocal number of people who are not shy about showing their allegiances. You won't see this phenomenon as often in the cities or suburbs, especially amongst white people. Being a known conservative is a good way to become a pariah in some circles. That fear doesn't exist in the rural areas.

The independents who are voting for him are the silent ones. As with any politicos, there's a vocal number of people who are not shy about showing their allegiances. You won't see this phenomenon as often in the cities or suburbs, especially amongst white people. Being a known conservative is a good way to become a pariah in some circles. That fear doesn't exist in the rural areas.

What circles are those?

I see the same thing. Maybe the Derecho cleanup has delayed the placing of political yard signs in Eastern Iowa. See some Andy McKean for Iowa House signs in Jones County. That's about it.

Actually, I think you might be onto something. I have a similar sense; that while the Democrats are making far more noise, Trump is quietly picking up support as voters begin to consider the options seriously.

The people who live right around us seem to be mostly Trump supporters and most of those we meet while out and about seem to be wondering why they are supposed to "hate" our president. When we are talking to strangers, they quickly work the conversation around to politics by asking us who we will be voting for. (I think we must give off some "older well-informed white couple" vibe. I think they are looking for confirmation of what they are thinking amidst an onslaught of information from the other side that they either do not understand or do not care about. They are mostly horrified at the thought of a coming police state and find AOC and her "Squad" deserving of mockery. No one has any interest in the "Green New Deal," or in paying higher taxes. They all think Joe Biden is lame and both a reincarnation of Mrs. Clinton and a Trojan Horse for Bernie. On the other hand, no one is talking about "draining the swamp" or energy independence. They like that we are lowering our presence in the Middle East, but ISIS is out-of-sight-out-of-mind. They have forgotten the Iraq war and the Afghan war. They view Trump as a war stopper and not as a war starter; screw that whole nation-building thing. They do not care that tyrants are creeping back into power around the globe. People seem to blame Covid on our government, but not on any particular politician. Most seem to regard it as Much-Ado over something; they are just not quite sure what that something is.

I did have a nice older black lady remark to me that "we" just have to get rid of Trump ... assuming that I felt the same, but that is about the only recent incident that comports with the HROT worldview.

This just does not appear to be an issues-based election. My overall sense is that this is going to come down to an election day coin flip and will depend on the state of events during the week leading up to the election. ... and perhaps even the debates.
Sounds legit, lol.

So the general thesis is: Most people are conservative, but no one wants to admit it because despite the fact they are the majority, they will be “pariahs” in society by admitting that they are like the majority of other people?

🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂

I've seen stories about it over the last few years, but most campaigns figured out 10 or 20 years ago that yard signs, bumper stickers, etc. had no tangible effect on votes. It's a 20th century model in the 21st century world. Now it's all about social media. During the Iowa caucuses this year, there was almost zero signs or anything like that around, and mostly for loser candidates like Tulsi Gabbard, which proves the point. Being that many Trump supporters dream of a long ago world, it's not surprising they gobble that swag up.

You'd make a good fiction writer.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I view it this way: if 20% of yards have a trump sign in them, he’s going to get about 20% of the votes.

Either you jerk off into your morning coffee thinking about him and then drink it...or you vote somebody else. There isn’t really any in between with this guy.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT