ADVERTISEMENT

One of Beathard's biggest plays was avoiding safety

Win5002

HB MVP
Jan 3, 2006
ISU was up 17-10 and I believe had just scored. If they get the safety and the ball back and manage to get a TD it completely changes the game situation. Huge play by Beathard to get out of the end zone.

Reactions: Auger
True. Also 3rd and 22 and he flipped the field position in the 4th qtr. huge!

People may disagree with me but I don't think we wine if JR was QB today. Sunshine can make things happen with his athleticism. Think he had maybe 75 yards rushing and over 200 passing, 3 TD and no turnovers. I'll take that any day.

Reactions: Im4Iowa
I was impressed with his savvy today. He was struggling through the air early but he hung tough and made plays. Impressive.

People may disagree with me but I don't think we wine if JR was QB today. Sunshine can make things happen with his athleticism. Think he had maybe 75 yards rushing and over 200 passing, 3 TD and no turnovers. I'll take that any day.
I imagine about 3 people will disagree with you. The other 3 million won't. Beathard did something Jake could rarely ever do. Make big plays when it counted. Think of the BIG plays from Iowa today that were a direct result of CJ's arm or legs. Do you think Jake Rudock supplies anything remotely similar? Not a chance. (and no offense to Jake, but this is why he's at Michigan now)

Reactions: WORTHYWISH

I appreciate your comments about CJ. I thought he had a helluva game.

JR, however, is not a member of this team, thus your comment is a non sequitur.

People now realize how horrible KF is at evaluating QBs. Either you believe KF that CJB grew "five years in five months" ...LOL ... or the wrong guy was playing QB for Iowa the last two years. Rudock is no better at Michigan than he was at Iowa. Now if Beathard had a head coach and an offensive coordinator who had a clue, he wouldn't have to be quite so heroic. But this Hawkeye team has enough character and guts to rise above the handcuffs placed on it by the coaching staff. It's pretty incredible really. Beathard is a terrific QB, and the OP has done well to point out the brilliant effort to escape the safety. I can't prove it, but my firm opinion is that JR would have curled into a ball, taken the sack and the safety, and that would have been the ball game. Having a real QB is SO cool. :)

That was just one of the big plays that showed how this team flipped the script from the 1st half. It was honestly the exact opposite of last year's game. Iowa dominated the 1st half and stalled out in the 2nd half while ISU stormed back.

This year, Iowa struggled in the 1st half and FINALLY.....they won a 2nd half against Iowa State, and won it going away.

The very next play, CJ rumbles for 44 yards.

The next play after that, he adeptly avoids the rush and a last second flick to Canzeri goes for 19.

CJ culminated the drive with the frozen rope to Smith in the corner of the end zone.

If there's a better series by an individual Hawk this year I can't wait to see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT