ADVERTISEMENT

One short week from today

Feth will be a starter. He's a mauler. If he doesn't start at center it will be at right guard.
Yeah ... I'm inclined to believe that Feth will ultimately win the starting C spot ... he's been seeing starts at OG for as early as 2019 ... and has 2 straight years of starting at C (over the prior 2 years).

He has size and experience ... and he was recruited to Iowa because he was perceived as a "fit" for the program.

Reactions: Torg and Bishop1971
I do wonder if they will continue the experiment of trying Colby at RT ... or if they're giving up on that and just going to leave him at LG.

If Colby can actually have some success in the transition ... I think that opens things up for us in terms of personnel on the interior.

However, I wonder if the trauma from having him developmentally "devolve" at the front-end of last season is enough to keep him from giving it another go. Crisis of confidence can be a strange thing.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Yeah ... I'm inclined to believe that Feth will ultimately win the starting C spot ... he's been seeing starts at OG for as early as 2019 ... and has 2 straight years of starting at C (over the prior 2 years).

He has size and experience ... and he was recruited to Iowa because he was perceived as a "fit" for the program.
Again, spot on the center. Only Jones friends and family could think he played well last season. Too small and no instincts. One of the rare times I would like to ask the coaches what they saw in Logan? It does not appear to have translated to the field. His play at center was terrible.

Again, spot on the center. Only Jones friends and family could think he played well last season. Too small and no instincts. One of the rare times I would like to ask the coaches what they saw in Logan? It does not appear to have translated to the field. His play at center was terrible.
Many folks on the OL spoke very positively about how Jones was able to move people in drills. I don't think that size was really any issue of his. The Hawks have had many fine centers who weren't huge ... Bruggeman, James Ferentz, Blythe, and Linderbaum all come to mind.

How involved are the two michigan transfers in spring? That's probably the story line, I'm thinking they're both cleared medically, but how much work do they actually see? How quickly does Cade pick-up our complicated offense?
Isn’t our offense so complicated that it takes gifted freshman 3 years to learn it? 😂😂😂 PS coaching staff- recruit a PWO to be scout team QB and let our freshmen learn it first year!!!

Many folks on the OL spoke very positively about how Jones was able to move people in drills. I don't think that size was really any issue of his. The Hawks have had many fine centers who weren't huge ... Bruggeman, James Ferentz, Blythe, and Linderbaum all come to mind.
I have heard the same. Maybe a good practice player but it did not translate on the field.

I have heard the same. Maybe a good practice player but it did not translate on the field.
As I indicated in an earlier post ... playing C is about a lot more than just blocking. You're also the quarterback of the OL ... so you have to read the DL and make the line call, you have to snap the ball, AND you also have to be ready for a DT to be charging right at ya.

Given all of what is going on for a center, if you're just a little delayed in what you're doing ... the DT can already be up in your chest with the advantage both in terms of leverage and positioning. Couple to that, the fact that many big-bodied DTs are 320+ lbs ... then it can make things even harder when you're raw, out of position, and potentially over 40 lbs smaller.

As I indicated in an earlier post ... playing C is about a lot more than just blocking. You're also the quarterback of the OL ... so you have to read the DL and make the line call, you have to snap the ball, AND you also have to be ready for a DT to be charging right at ya.

Given all of what is going on for a center, if you're just a little delayed in what you're doing ... the DT can already be up in your chest with the advantage both in terms of leverage and positioning. Couple to that, the fact that many big-bodied DTs are 320+ lbs ... then it can make things even harder when you're raw, out of position, and potentially over 40 lbs smaller.
The coaches kind of like that smaller wrestler type at center. I think, and hope, that they saw exactly what you described as happening far too often with Logan. Hence the need for a bigger and more experienced player like Feth or a renewed Myslinki-that kid has surely filled out by now.

Stop Motion Football GIF by PES

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT