ADVERTISEMENT

Open it up!

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
Somebody explain this to me, cuz I feel like an idiot unable to comprehend why a six-figure OC thinks it’s a good idea to waste downs running the ball when we averaged:

6.8 yard average passing
AND
2.7 yard average rushing

The object is still to move the ball downfield, and score points, right?!

Normally I’m the guy in the 34th row screaming “Pound the rock!!”
But, goodness — if it’s broke, it’s broke find another way.

This team desperately needs to be "on schedule" with respect to picking up yards on 1st and 2nd. Kirk believes the best way to achieve that goal is running it up the gut with a below average OL.

Reactions: Hawk fan in MN
First downs aren't sexy.

OK, so on first down you run a 7 yard route — incomplete.
On second down you run a 7 yard route — complete.

Now you are on schedule, and you did it in space, which means you likely had an opportunity for YAC.

I’m not saying shut down Wadley. But, on first down they have to be guessing — are they running or passing? Are they going deep or short? Utilizing the TEs or RBs?

We’re basically set up to win or lose based on 3rd down conversion %. I’m sure Brian hates being in 3rd and 6 as much as I do, I just don’t understand why he doesn’t do anything about it. I’m sure the Patriots wouldn’t stand for such weak rushing production as their preferred mode of offense.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
OK, so on first down you run a 7 yard route — incomplete.
On second down you run a 7 yard route — complete.

Now you are on schedule, and you did it in space, which means you likely had an opportunity for YAC.

I’m not saying shut down Wadley. But, on first down they have to be guessing — are they running or passing? Are they going deep or short? Utilizing the TEs or RBs?

We’re basically set up to win or lose based on 3rd down conversion %. I’m sure Brian hates being in 3rd and 6 as much as I do, I just don’t understand why he doesn’t do anything about it. I’m sure the Patriots wouldn’t stand for such weak rushing production as their preferred mode of offense.

Bump, because somebody has to have an answer. I have no explanation.

It is similar but not as bad as 2004 when run game was Brownlee and 2.2 yard cloud of dust. I think KOK figured it out after 4th game that they couldn't run and turned the keys over to Tate.

Stanley is no Tate in terms of buying time with scrambling, so Iowa would need more quick routes and screens to combat the blitz. On other side of coin, we have Wadley that is fantastic in open space and he is being wasted now.

The funny thing is Iowa in NW game started out throwing a lot and moved the ball in 1st half and then in 2nd half we seemed compelled to run the ball into the wall instead of committing to passing game. I know Alaric Jackson got blown up and we took one big sack, but we should have came back throwing.

they don't have the TE/WR to open it up

We completed it to our receivers, TE and RB at a rate of 58% though. Yeah, we lack a gamebreaker, but have many serviceable options. Granted there's the chance of sack or interception, but there's also the likelihood of picking up four extra yards on each play. And our QB has been better, and improving on ball security.

Open it up! Throw the ball 40-45 times per game. Then come back to the running game in situations where we have the advantage -- 2nd and 4, 3rd and 2. And continue to throw as well. And when we run, pull a guard. If you don't have enough muscle at the point of attack, put more muscle there. But utilize the pass as the primary mode of attack and then surprise them with where we give Wadley the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT