ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion How Pat Robertson created today’s Christian nationalist GOP

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Pat Robertson, who died on Thursday at age 93, was one of the pivotal reasons the Christian right became central to the GOP coalition. Because of this, the political world we live in today is in no small part his creation.

Robertson, who mounted a failed run for the GOP presidential nomination in 1988, was founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network. His televangelism mobilized untold numbers of conservative Christians to become more active in politics, initiating a transformation that is still unfolding all around us.

To understand Robertson’s impact, I reached out to historian Rick Perlstein, author of several books that chronicle the history of the American right and its seamy cultural undercurrents over the last half century. An edited and condensed version of our exchange follows:

In “Reaganland,” you chronicle the emergence of the religious right and its fusion with the modern GOP. Crucial to this is Robertson’s role in transforming the Christian right into the most powerful group in the GOP coalition, shaped around abortion and homosexuality. Was that a key moment where the right embraced a new politics of enemy-creation?
In “Reaganland,” I talk about how the people who basically become partners in the Christian right — then known as the “New Right” — came up with a model in which they “organized discontent.” They would find pockets of anger and turn them into voting issues.

The backlash to gay rights became a way to mobilize a set of voters who weren’t particularly mobilized before. Robertson was one of the partners in this. He was kind of the transmission belt with his TV network.
Robertson was also central to Newt Gingrich’s rise and the GOP House takeover in 1994. That’s when the GOP fully embraced national scorched-earth political warfare. What’s the relationship between this type of Christian politics and that transformation?
Robertson’s contribution to the scorched-earth style of Gingrich is signaled by his absolutely bonkers turn toward conspiratorial thinking. In 1991, he published “The New World Order,” an argument that liberal elites make up a “tightly knit cabal whose goal is nothing less than a new order for the human race under the domination of Lucifer and his followers.”

Once you go down that road, you’re not exactly committed to consensus and compromise.
Robertson relentlessly demonized gay people. Between that and him making abortion central to GOP politics, his influence on the party is felt today in the end of abortion rights, in extreme anti-choice laws on the state level and in the right’s attacks on LGBTQ people.
Yes, yes, yes. Every time a riot breaks out at a school board meeting because the board wants to recognize that gay people exist, that’s Pat Robertson’s shadow. Every time a crusade against teaching the history of race in America leads to a school limiting access to Amanda Gorman’s inaugural poem, that’s Pat Robertson’s shadow.

If you want to talk about the overturning of Roe v. Wade and women who are dying because of it, look at his response to 9/11, when he and Jerry Falwell go on camera and say that God has given us what we deserve. The villains they cite are the ACLU, the “paganists,” the “gays and lesbians” and the “abortionists.”

There’s a conviction among many evangelicals today that Donald Trump was — and is — their savior leader and that the insurrection was a kind of last stand to save our Christian nation from secular ruin. Can you trace Robertson’s influence straight to the insurrectionist wing of today’s GOP? Many of those Republicans are also self-described Christian nationalists. Is that partly Robertson’s doing?
Yes, absolutely. It’s their mission to redeem the world by redeeming America — and that means defeating any influence or trace of liberalism.

You can make the argument most directly by pointing to Robertson as the vector who brought the kind of ideas that used to be limited to people communicating by shortwave radio straight into the mainstream of the Republican base.
Once you need to rescue the Christian nation from secular ruin, it doesn’t matter if the secularists legitimately won an election or not. That’s Robertson, right?
The idea that God’s law trumps man’s law absolutely saturates his world. Along with Falwell, he’s most responsible for turning Christianity into Christian nationalism and Christian nationalism into insurrectionism.

• Angry
Reactions: Torg
Hard to believe, but when he started out, he actually advocated for the poor. Don't what caused him to become a false prophet, but money is the root of evil.

Reactions: Torg
Happy Friday!
Today, June 9, is National Sex Day. It’s a day when we’re supposed to celebrate sex, love, connection, fun, pleasure — all the good things in life.

We should live in a society in which we can have open and frank discussions about sex, sexuality, gender expression and connection. But our discourse is dominated by right-wing efforts to limit discussions of sex and sexuality in schools, attack drag queens, and create dangerous panic about trans kids and their place in schools and sports. America has long been a puritanical country — influenced by conservative Christian views about gender roles and abstinence from sex outside the context of marriage and procreation — so none of these struggles are new.

At the same time, perhaps National Sex Day is a reminder that free love has had its movement leaders, too, long before the 1960s hippie era. I read this week about Victoria Woodhull, who in the 1870s was the first woman to run for president and was an activist who believed the government should stay out of people’s romantic and sexual lives. She married three times and challenged the idea that men could carry on affairs and basically do whatever the heck they wanted while women could not.

In 1871, Woodhull delivered a famous address, “And the Truth Shall Make You Free: A Speech on the Principles of Social Freedom.” Here’s a quote worth meditating on:

“Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but, as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing less!”

I love that, for isn’t this what true social freedom means? This leads me to another man who, for many of us, represented the opposite of love and freedom.

Remembering Pat Robertson’s hatreds​

I know we’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead. But how else are we to speak of the deeds of powerful people who used their enormous platforms to spread hatred and condemnation every night, for money?

I’ve written about how I grew up immersed in evangelical culture in Texas in the 1990s. Part of that culture was watching our parents watch televangelists on TV pretty much every day and night. The cast of prosperity-gospel characters I recall being on frequently were Kenneth Copeland, John Hagee and Benny Hinn. But probably the most influential of them all was Pat Robertson of “The 700 Club,” who died Thursday at the age of 93.

He regularly attacked feminism and gay people:

And he did so much more harm than that.
It was in the early 2000s that I became aware enough to start processing the disasters happening in and around America. At the time, televangelists and preachers had outsize influence in explaining that horrible events were God’s way of punishing us. Robertson’s specialty was painting God as a punitive being who would smack us in the face anytime the United States started looking a little too Sodom-and-Gomorrah-y.

He and Jerry Falwell said at the time that God let 9/11 happen because the United States was getting too free for its own good.
“I really believe,” Falwell said, “that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say, ‘You helped this happen.’”

Robertson agreed: “I totally concur, and the problem is we have adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government.”
Greg Sargent: How Pat Robertson created today’s Christian nationalist GOP
In 2005, after New Orleans was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, Robertson suggested the disaster was connected to abortion: “I was reading … a book that was very interesting about what God has to say in the Old Testament about those who shed innocent blood. … Have we found we are unable somehow to defend ourselves against some of the attacks that are coming against us, either by terrorists or now by natural disaster? Could they be connected?”

And in 2010, when Haiti was devastated by an earthquake, Robertson said that Haitians — whose ancestors had defeated the French in 1804, creating the first Black nation to declare independence from its colonizers — were to blame because their ancestors had “swore a pact to the devil” for their freedom.

Programs like “The 700 Club” have had immense sway over our culture and information ecosystem — something mainstream journalists often don’t seem to acknowledge or understand. “The 700 Club,” which airs every weekday, is one of the longest-running shows in broadcast history; the Christian Broadcasting Network, which produces the show, says it can be seen in 96 percent of U.S. homes. Robertson and the show’s other guests and hosts provided spiritual commentary on news events, and viewers could call the prayer hotline, offer testimonies and, of course, send pledges and donations to support the network.
Is it really such a surprise that after decades of evangelicals blaming abortion for America’s natural disasters, antiabortion efforts prevailed last year with the overturn of Roe v. Wade? Or that now, we are seeing such a fervor against trans and LGBTQ rights? This is part of the dark legacy of Robertson, whom it’s fair to call out for helping to stoke the climate of hatred we see now. To intentionally blame people for their own suffering? I can’t think of anything crueller or more devilish than that.

Happy Friday!
Today, June 9, is National Sex Day. It’s a day when we’re supposed to celebrate sex, love, connection, fun, pleasure — all the good things in life.

We should live in a society in which we can have open and frank discussions about sex, sexuality, gender expression and connection. But our discourse is dominated by right-wing efforts to limit discussions of sex and sexuality in schools, attack drag queens, and create dangerous panic about trans kids and their place in schools and sports. America has long been a puritanical country — influenced by conservative Christian views about gender roles and abstinence from sex outside the context of marriage and procreation — so none of these struggles are new.

At the same time, perhaps National Sex Day is a reminder that free love has had its movement leaders, too, long before the 1960s hippie era. I read this week about Victoria Woodhull, who in the 1870s was the first woman to run for president and was an activist who believed the government should stay out of people’s romantic and sexual lives. She married three times and challenged the idea that men could carry on affairs and basically do whatever the heck they wanted while women could not.

In 1871, Woodhull delivered a famous address, “And the Truth Shall Make You Free: A Speech on the Principles of Social Freedom.” Here’s a quote worth meditating on:

“Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but, as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing less!”

I love that, for isn’t this what true social freedom means? This leads me to another man who, for many of us, represented the opposite of love and freedom.

Remembering Pat Robertson’s hatreds​

I know we’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead. But how else are we to speak of the deeds of powerful people who used their enormous platforms to spread hatred and condemnation every night, for money?

I’ve written about how I grew up immersed in evangelical culture in Texas in the 1990s. Part of that culture was watching our parents watch televangelists on TV pretty much every day and night. The cast of prosperity-gospel characters I recall being on frequently were Kenneth Copeland, John Hagee and Benny Hinn. But probably the most influential of them all was Pat Robertson of “The 700 Club,” who died Thursday at the age of 93.

He regularly attacked feminism and gay people:

And he did so much more harm than that.
It was in the early 2000s that I became aware enough to start processing the disasters happening in and around America. At the time, televangelists and preachers had outsize influence in explaining that horrible events were God’s way of punishing us. Robertson’s specialty was painting God as a punitive being who would smack us in the face anytime the United States started looking a little too Sodom-and-Gomorrah-y.

He and Jerry Falwell said at the time that God let 9/11 happen because the United States was getting too free for its own good.
“I really believe,” Falwell said, “that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say, ‘You helped this happen.’”

Robertson agreed: “I totally concur, and the problem is we have adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government.”
Greg Sargent: How Pat Robertson created today’s Christian nationalist GOP
In 2005, after New Orleans was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, Robertson suggested the disaster was connected to abortion: “I was reading … a book that was very interesting about what God has to say in the Old Testament about those who shed innocent blood. … Have we found we are unable somehow to defend ourselves against some of the attacks that are coming against us, either by terrorists or now by natural disaster? Could they be connected?”

And in 2010, when Haiti was devastated by an earthquake, Robertson said that Haitians — whose ancestors had defeated the French in 1804, creating the first Black nation to declare independence from its colonizers — were to blame because their ancestors had “swore a pact to the devil” for their freedom.

Programs like “The 700 Club” have had immense sway over our culture and information ecosystem — something mainstream journalists often don’t seem to acknowledge or understand. “The 700 Club,” which airs every weekday, is one of the longest-running shows in broadcast history; the Christian Broadcasting Network, which produces the show, says it can be seen in 96 percent of U.S. homes. Robertson and the show’s other guests and hosts provided spiritual commentary on news events, and viewers could call the prayer hotline, offer testimonies and, of course, send pledges and donations to support the network.
Is it really such a surprise that after decades of evangelicals blaming abortion for America’s natural disasters, antiabortion efforts prevailed last year with the overturn of Roe v. Wade? Or that now, we are seeing such a fervor against trans and LGBTQ rights? This is part of the dark legacy of Robertson, whom it’s fair to call out for helping to stoke the climate of hatred we see now. To intentionally blame people for their own suffering? I can’t think of anything crueller or more devilish than that.
Dangit. Missed it again this year.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT