ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: Ron DeSantis’s repulsive war on Disney will soon face a reckoning

By Greg Sargent
Columnist
Today at 11:37 a.m. EDT
Listen to article

The stench of presidential ambition around Ron DeSantis has grown so thick that it resembles Charlie Brown pal Pigpen’s visible cloud of filth, and key to the Florida governor’s hopes is finding a way to capture the political energies unleashed by Donald Trump.
DeSantis must accomplish this while carving out a distinct path from that of the former president, who might run again himself. DeSantis’s new war with Disney appears to fit the bill perfectly.
As a good report from NBC News chronicles, DeSantis’s fellow Republicans see this battle as key to burnishing his national anti-“woke” brand. DeSantis escalated his attacks on Disney amid its criticism of the law he signed limiting classroom discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity.
But DeSantis’s war on Disney will soon face a reckoning. A big question is whether DeSantis will seek to revoke Disney’s state tax incentives as a weapon in the war over that measure, which opponents call the “Don’t Say Gay” law.
ADVERTISING
If so, that could alienate Republicans who are fine with a bit of performative culture-warring but want to keep corporations happy where it really counts, i.e., on their bottom line. If not, that could disappoint right-wingers who actively want Republicans to wield state power wherever possible to bring “woke” corporations to their knees.
Disney came out against the “Don’t Say Gay” bill after facing intense internal pressure from employees. Disney argued that it “could be used to unfairly target” LGBT kids and families.
That’s a perfectly reasonable fear. The law outlaws “instruction” in “sexual orientation or gender identity” that is not “age-appropriate.” Legal experts note that such vague wording could allow conservative parents to claim violations in many typical situations, such as a teacher mentioning gay families, or a kid discussing her gay parents, or helping a transgender student seek counseling.
Regardless, DeSantis has gone on the attack. He’s raising money off Disney’s opposition, labeling it “radical.” And he recently suggested that he might target Disney’s “special privileges” in the state.
That’s repulsive stuff. Even some Republicans have noted that Disney is simply exercising its right to weigh in on a public issue, one that matters deeply to many customers and employees, and shouldn’t face the threat of state retaliation for doing so.
Regardless, under questioning from reporters, DeSantis then clarified he is not targeting Disney’s enormously lucrative tax breaks, one of which totals in the hundreds of millions of dollars to encourage Disney to move more than 2,000 employees to Florida from California. DeSantis justified this by claiming all companies are treated equally by such tax incentives.
But as Florida state Rep. Anna Eskamani (D) points out, Disney benefits from a tax incentive program only available to very large corporations. Eskamani says DeSantis should repeal Disney’s tax breaks in order to actually treat businesses equally, as a matter of good policy, rather than allowing that status quo to remain while going after Disney in a merely “performative" way.
“Nothing about Disney’s business model has changed whatsoever,” Eskamani told me.
James Clark, a history professor at the University of Central Florida, points to a subtle game at work here. Disney has poured enormous sums into the campaign coffers of DeSantis and GOP state legislatures, according to the Orlando Sentinel, though some Democrats have benefited as well.
DeSantis’s rhetorical attacks on Disney might not be enough to imperil future Disney donations to Republicans. Meanwhile, if Republicans keep its corporate interests largely protected, it could help sustain that arrangement.
“Disney has been very helpful to the Republican Party,” Clark told me. “I don’t think Republicans want to do anything to jeopardize that flow of money.” Disney has said it’s reassessing its political donations in response to the new law, but that will likely blow over.
Yet here’s the thing: Some on the right, particularly the new nationalists seeking to build a post-Trump Trumpism, actually do believe the state should be weaponized to fight the culture wars as aggressively as possible. Fox News’s Laura Ingraham is urging Republicans to use every tool of government possible to break corporations economically — as a weapon of retaliation against excessive wokeness.
This is sometimes described as a sign that Republicans are turning against large corporations in a fundamental shift of economic ideology. But that’s mostly nonsense. Republicans have mainly threatened retaliation for corporate transgressions like standing up for African Americans’ voting rights, trying to protect customers and workers with vaccine mandates, cooperating with a congressional investigation into Trump’s insurrection, and now, speaking up for LGBT people.
Indeed, one prominent right-wing activist explicitly told Michelle Goldberg that attacks on Disney are all about teaching it “the lesson” that “they should stay out of politics.” The goal is to wield state power to dissuade corporations from empowering the enemy known as social liberalism.
Yet at some point you’d think some on the right will want to see actual corporate blood on the floor. As a Know Your Enemy podcast powerfully details, the use of state government power to punish trans kids is multiplying ferociously across the country. How long until the right wants real results in the war against corporate wokeness?
If so, keeping old cozy relationship between Disney and Florida Republicans like DeSantis largely intact just won’t cut it anymore.

It’s a shame what has become of the Washington Post.

Why target sexual orientation and gender identity and not just ban any sex talk? A lot of spin with this bill. "It doesn't say gay!".
They had an opportunity to change the wording of the law to make it more general, but the Republicans voted against it.

The amendment proposed by Sen. Jeff Brandes, a Republican representing St. Petersburg, would've replaced the words "sexual orientation or gender identity" with "human sexuality or sexual activity."

This would mean that instruction about sexual activity, in general, would be banned for certain grade levels. Supporters of the amendment, including Equality Florida, said it was a step in the right direction, as debate over the bill has often conflated sexual orientation and sexual activity.

"If the intent of this bill isn’t to marginalize anyone, let’s make sure we aren’t," Brandes said during Monday's Senate Appropriations Committee.

The amendment failed on a party-line vote, with Brandes being the lone Republican to vote in support

PDF of amendment:

They had an opportunity to change the wording of the law to make it more general, but the Republicans voted against it.

The amendment proposed by Sen. Jeff Brandes, a Republican representing St. Petersburg, would've replaced the words "sexual orientation or gender identity" with "human sexuality or sexual activity."

This would mean that instruction about sexual activity, in general, would be banned for certain grade levels. Supporters of the amendment, including Equality Florida, said it was a step in the right direction, as debate over the bill has often conflated sexual orientation and sexual activity.

"If the intent of this bill isn’t to marginalize anyone, let’s make sure we aren’t," Brandes said during Monday's Senate Appropriations Committee.

The amendment failed on a party-line vote, with Brandes being the lone Republican to vote in support

PDF of amendment:

Yeah I saw that. They know exactly what they are doing but like to act innocent. It doesn't say gay though. They got us there.

No he doesn't. Your grandson would love me. I guess it's time to give your dumbass a reminder since you constantly dismiss how you had your ass handed to you previously...I knew it was smart to save this -

"Hey Goldmom, just wanted to say hello. I'm Tom and I happen to be the publisher of this site. I usually don't venture over here much other than to clean up messes. There was a mess in this thread and well, I had to clean it up and saw this post, so I thought I might provide you with a little insight and well, education, since it appears you are in need of one based on this judgemental post. And let me be very clear, Tom has no idea I am making this post and didn't request me to come here and defend him. I'm doing this on my own as a parent who was fortunate enough to him educate my kids and I could probably bring a couple hundred other parents with me who would back up every word I will write about him as a educator.

My wife and I have two kids. We also happen to be very blessed to live in the school district where @Tom Paris teaches. He was involved in their day to day education for several years. Both kids would tell you that he was one of the best teachers they had during their time at the school and they learned a lot from him and all of it was positive. He's patient, kind, caring, and loves the kids he teaches. While you sit and pass judgement on the education someone received, without having seen him as a teacher, I can speak from experience as a parent that you are incorrect. We were fortunate to have him teach our kids. Perhaps in the future instead of making awful and untrue statement about someone's professional career, you will instead back away from the keyboard and not hit send or engage on what they actually said instead of making a cheap ad hominem attack."

So keep my job out of these threads. You want to attack me some other way? Politically? Fine. Keep how I am with kids out of it. Because I'm really good at working with and coaching kids. The majority of people on this site don't share their jobs...I did. So again...let it be. Please.
That’s pretty cool. When was this written?

Maybe call it the actual name of the bill if you want to be taken seriously.

LOL ok. They did attempt to discuss the specific content that targets gay.. I mean sexual orientation.. but it was decided to keep the specific language in place. I wonder why? Funny how the defenders seem to use language like "sex talk doesn't belong in K-3 class" but the bill doesn't say anything about banning sex talk.

Please highlight my use of the term in that post.
Thanks!

You mentioned (again) that the word gay is not in the bill. The words "sexual orientation" are in the bill. What does sexual orientation refer to?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida was a different world in 1967 - Dems firmly in control of the Legislature and every local government. They were thrilled beyond belief that Walt Disney wanted to build a park literally in the middle of nowhere (at the time).
I do wonder if that deal could get through now. The Reedy Creek District created an ability to be a self governing body for Disney. It granted them unprecedented rights - airport? No problem. A nuclear power plant? Sure!
Disney has suspended all political contributions by the way. It’s their right.

The pushback is hysteria created largely by a group of mostly California park employees by the way. We’re still waiting for researchers to look at the tiniest fine print to find the word gay in the bill, which the Governor didn’t write OR request to be written. But since he’s such a fearsome prospect for ‘24 he must be destroyed!!!
Facts and truth be damned! Ignorance must continue! Kindergarten kids must be taught all about sexuality!

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman
No they’re limiting ALL conversations about sex, period. Are you not comprehending that?

What part of the bill restricts all conversations about sex? I see where they restrict discussion on sexual orientation and gender identity and that they rejected a proposal to broaden the language to any sexual topics.

Bulleted synopsis of the bill is shown below. Somebody please correct any details I get wrong. I want to make sure we understand the facts/truth to this as there seems to be a lot of disinformation and confusion out there. I added the common interpretations to the bolded sections in parentheses.

The proponents seem to focus on everything except the bolded parts. "This just gives parents more control and keeps them informed". They seem to interpret the no discussion on sexual orientation or gender identity as banning "sex talk" for grades K-3, which is clearly not the wording. Opponents say the bill focuses on gay/trans and the wording is left purposely vague.

• Notify parents if there is a change in student's services or monitoring related to student's mental, emotional, or physical health
  • School district personnel are required to discuss student well being issues with parent (out gay/trans student to parents)
  • Schools may not use forms or other processes to circumvent the above or otherwise discourage the student from notifying parents unless in cases of abuse, abandonment, or neglect
  • Parents may not be restricted from accessing any school records for their children
  • Don't discuss sexual orientation or gender identity in grades K-3 or in a manner that is not age or developmentally appropriate (don't say gay or trans in K-3)
  • Student support services must follow guidelines/standards established by DOE
  • Schools must notify parents at beginning of school year on all healthcare services offered at their schools with option to withhold consent or decline any specific service
  • Health questionnaires must be provided to parent and parents need to approve before the questionnaire is given to student
  • School districts to adopt procedures for parent to notify principal or designee regarding concerns and a process for addressing concerns

Bulleted synopsis of the bill is shown below. Somebody please correct any details I get wrong. I want to make sure we understand the facts/truth to this as there seems to be a lot of disinformation and confusion out there. I added the common interpretations to the bolded sections in parentheses.

The proponents seem to focus on everything except the bolded parts. "This just gives parents more control and keeps them informed". They seem to interpret the no discussion on sexual orientation or gender identity as banning "sex talk" for grades K-3, which is clearly not the wording. Opponents say the bill focuses on gay/trans and the wording is left purposely vague.

• Notify parents if there is a change in student's services or monitoring related to student's mental, emotional, or physical health
  • School district personnel are required to discuss student well being issues with parent (out gay/trans student to parents)
  • Schools may not use forms or other processes to circumvent the above or otherwise discourage the student from notifying parents unless in cases of abuse, abandonment, or neglect
  • Parents may not be restricted from accessing any school records for their children
  • Don't discuss sexual orientation or gender identity in grades K-3 or in a manner that is not age or developmentally appropriate (don't say gay or trans in K-3)
  • Student support services must follow guidelines/standards established by DOE
  • Schools must notify parents at beginning of school year on all healthcare services offered at their schools with option to withhold consent or decline any specific service
  • Health questionnaires must be provided to parent and parents need to approve before the questionnaire is given to student
  • School districts to adopt procedures for parent to notify principal or designee regarding concerns and a process for addressing concerns
I thought the outing students part of the bill was withdrawn. I think the language says that the school can not prohibit an educator from sharing a student's orientation/gender idenity, but I don't believe they are required to report it to the parents. I may be wrong though.

I underlined the part that was added in amendment 1 which I see as giving schools the right to withhold the information if it could be harmful to the child.

2. A school district may not adopt procedures or student support forms that prohibit school district personnel from notifying a parent about his or her student's mental, emotional, or physical health or well-being, or a change in related services or monitoring, or that encourage or have the effect of encouraging a student to withhold from a parent such information. School district personnel may not discourage or prohibit parental notification of and involvement in critical decisions affecting a student's mental, emotional, or physical 16 health or well-being. This subparagraph does not prohibit a school district from adopting procedures that permit school personnel to withhold such information from a parent if a reasonably prudent person would believe that disclosure would result in abuse, abandonment, or neglect, as those terms are defined in s. 39.01

Either way I agree with you this law has one purpose that is to target the LGBTQ community and fire up the base about something that isn't a problem.

I know disney won’t pack up and leave but i wish this would backfire on the political grandstanding by desantis.

unfortunately it won’t

Disney getting their own special self governing charter seems like something Dems would be against and Repubs would be for. Because usually Dems don't want a businesses to operate where they have that much power to make their own rules and regulations. Whereas Repubs are generally for it thinking the Private sector is better at it than the government.

But seems they have reversed roles because of politics. Petty Petty Petty!

Reactions: Hawkman34
Disney should stop donating to the GOP and fund the Democrats to get these Fascist delusional cultists out of office as well.
The Florida Democratic Party are among the most incompetent in the nation. A fact made even harder by the years of gerrymandering in the state. But if they suddenly got an influx of millions of dollars from Disney? That might change some things. But it would take a lot.

Disney getting their own special self governing charter seems like something Dems would be against and Repubs would be for. Because usually Dems don't want a businesses to operate where they have that much power to make their own rules and regulations. Whereas Repubs are generally for it thinking the Private sector is better at it than the government.

But seems they have reversed roles because of politics. Petty Petty Petty!

When Walt Disney asked the State to create the Reedy Creek District the Legislature was completely controlled by Democrats. The first Republican Governor since Reconstruction had just recently been elected.
When Walt asked for control of hundreds of thousands of acres of scrub pine, palmettos and swamp land those guys thought it was just sitting there so why not?

The Florida Democratic Party are among the most incompetent in the nation. A fact made even harder by the years of gerrymandering in the state. But if they suddenly got an influx of millions of dollars from Disney? That might change some things. But it would take a lot.

Gerrymandering the State of Florida? Say it ain’t so! The 5th District was gerrymandered just so a minority candidate could stay in office. Al Lawson, from Tallahassee, now represents minority areas on Jacksonville’s west side - 170 miles east. Lawson is a good man but he’s a long time Tallahasseean and there have been complaints that he isn’t always responsive to his constituents in Jax. So the two new districts are now just over 50% lean Republican. I think Lawson’s favorability ratings give him a good shot at retaining his seat. I personally like the man. I’m not in either of the new districts or I might vote for him.

Gerrymandering the State of Florida? Say it ain’t so! The 5th District was gerrymandered just so a minority candidate could stay in office. Al Lawson, from Tallahassee, now represents minority areas on Jacksonville’s west side - 170 miles east. Lawson is a good man but he’s a long time Tallahasseean and there have been complaints that he isn’t always responsive to his constituents in Jax. So the two new districts are now just over 50% lean Republican. I think Lawson’s favorability ratings give him a good shot at retaining his seat. I personally like the man. I’m not in either of the new districts or I might vote for him.
Yup. This after the people of Florida voted for an amendment to the constitution (if I am remembering that correctly) to prevent exactly that. From what I can tell, the legislature just decided to ignore that vote, pretend it doesn't exist, and then carry on business as usual. And, of course there have been no repercussions for this.

When Walt Disney asked the State to create the Reedy Creek District the Legislature was completely controlled by Democrats. The first Republican Governor since Reconstruction had just recently been elected.
When Walt asked for control of hundreds of thousands of acres of scrub pine, palmettos and swamp land those guys thought it was just sitting there so why not?
I am talking in generalities as it exists in the current parties philosophies. I don't think Desantis would be pushing for this if it wasn't for Disney taking public stances in the political arena against bills he signed and against other policies he was for.

By the same token, if it wasn't DeSantis pushing for this and Disney leaned more right, Dems would be all for it.

Reactions: globalhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT