ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: Ron DeSantis, ‘Don’t say gay,’ and the new GOP ‘snitch culture’

You only continue to prove my point that you are part of the problem by quadrupling down on your painfully wrong claim that this is ok.
Okay...thanks for playing and not answering and just expecting me to understand and then labeling me something when you refuse to answer what I originally asked.

Here's the first paragraph of the proposed law...

An act relating to parental rights in education; amending s. 1001.42, F.S.; requiring district school boards to adopt procedures that comport with certain provisions of law for notifying a student's parent of specified information; requiring such procedures to reinforce the fundamental right of parents to make decisions regarding the upbringing and control of their children in a specified manner; prohibiting the procedures from prohibiting a parent from accessing certain records;

It seems to be a law about parental rights in public schools and an open door to any information about their children's education that parents want.

I'm assuming this is the part you feel is threatening you.

A school district may not encourage classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in primary grade levels or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students.

So basically it rules out discussing sexual orientation or gender identity in K though 6th. What class in K-6 would it be appropriate to discuss sexual orientation or gender identify? I don't see how this is forcing you back in the closet.

I do know because I watch people like you do it every day on this site. I watch Republican leaders do it all the time and people like you eat it up....because no common sense or logic.
Nothing better than a liberal talking common sense and logic. The definition of irony.

There are things to be taught in school and things to be taught at home. No one is saying LQBTQ people don't exist, it just isn't what public school should be focused on. Many of us believe God exists but the left won't allow us to teach about him in school. Somethings are to be taught at home.
Bullshit. Religion is taught in school constantly. It's presented factually and accurately, all religions not just yours. You're talking about promoting a certain religion which is not what public education is for.

Bullshit. Religion is taught in school constantly. It's presented factually and accurately, all religions not just yours. You're talking about promoting a certain religion which is not what public education is for.
I agree

If you mean historical facts such as why the Pilgrims came over on the Mayflower or why the Huguenots fled France for the Carolina Coast or that early colonies were founded for certain faiths or how early explorers were often French priests I absolutely agree but should those be avoided?
Now if we began to expand and talk about their sexuality what would it add to the curriculum? Heterosexual or homosexual would it change anything? No. Who cares what someone’s sleeping arrangements are ? That might inevitably lead to judging someone and it’s neither right nor relevant.

If you mean historical facts such as why the Pilgrims came over on the Mayflower or why the Huguenots fled France for the Carolina Coast or that early colonies were founded for certain faiths or how early explorers were often French priests I absolutely agree but should those be avoided?
Now if we began to expand and talk about their sexuality what would it add to the curriculum? Heterosexual or homosexual would it change anything? No. Who cares what someone’s sleeping arrangements are ? That might inevitably lead to judging someone and it’s neither right nor relevant.
Homosexuality has played a very important role in history. Cultural views on sex, the pilgrims you cited for example, have shaped history. I see no reason it can't be discussed in an academic way in the classroom.

Okay...thanks for playing and not answering and just expecting me to understand and then labeling me something when you refuse to answer what I originally asked.

An act relating to parental rights in education; amending s. 1001.42, F.S.; requiring district school boards to adopt procedures that comport with certain provisions of law for notifying a student's parent of specified information; requiring such procedures to reinforce the fundamental right of parents to make decisions regarding the upbringing and control of their children in a specified manner; prohibiting the procedures from prohibiting a parent from accessing certain records;

It seems to be a law about parental rights in public schools and an open door to any information about their children's education that parents want.

A school district may not encourage classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in primary grade levels or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students.

So basically it rules out discussing sexual orientation or gender identity in K though 6th. What class in K-6 would it be appropriate to discuss sexual orientation or gender identify? I don't see how this is forcing you back in the closet.
You don't think kids in K-6th ever bring up subjects about sexual orientation or gender identity in general conversations. What if a child mentions his two moms or two dads and other children question the student's claim, can the teacher explain that some families have 2 moms or dads? How about a 6th grader that shares their feelings about their possible sexual orientation with their teacher who doesn't feel safe talking to their parents about it, doesn't the law require the teacher to report the conversation to the parents even though it might put the child in danger?

Reactions: Rudolph
Homosexuality has played a very important role in history. Cultural views on sex, the pilgrims you cited for example, have shaped history. I see no reason it can't be discussed in an academic way in the classroom.
What are you talking about. Sexuality has nothing to do with how history should be taught. Were their homosexuals in the past sure, so what. Were there blonds, redheads, tall folk short people, gay or straight of course, so what. What is meaningful in history is what was discovered, accomplished, learned, exploited what events changed or shaped history and thus the present. Not what color someones hair was or their stature or sexuality. What the left wants to do is to indoctrinate and shape the belief systems of young people. It has nothing to do with education and you know it. Keep politics and sex out of the schools. Again, some things need to be taught at home.

Reactions: goldmom

See my earlier post. If we actually followed this law no discussions that included gender would be acceptable. A teacher couldn't call girls girls, boys boys, a teacher couldn't talk about sons and daughters, moms, and dads, grandmothers and grandfathers. All of this would be off the table because these all are gender descriptions. It's ok for you to say that this proposal is stupid. There is no reason to keep defending a proposed law so transparently designed to attack the lgtbq while leaving the straights unscathed.

I send my 14 to school to learn math, reading, science, history. Kind of like we did when we went to school. Why would a teacher need to be afraid if they are teaching multiplication?

this is about reigning in the bat poop crazy ideology of the left and making sure parents can complain when their 8 year old comes home and says they learned how to eat little Tommy’s Ass in social studies
Ill ask my 14 yr old how often his teachers have taught about eating ass in any of his schools.

What are you talking about. Sexuality has nothing to do with how history should be taught. Were their homosexuals in the past sure, so what. Were there blonds, redheads, tall folk short people, gay or straight of course, so what. What is meaningful in history is what was discovered, accomplished, learned, exploited what events changed or shaped history and thus the present. Not what color someones hair was or their stature or sexuality. What the left wants to do is to indoctrinate and shape the belief systems of young people. It has nothing to do with education and you know it. Keep politics and sex out of the schools. Again, some things need to be taught at home.
Lets pick apart your argument here. Should any of these descriptors you've just listed be off limits? Napoleon is always portrayed as short. Should that be off limits? Red heads make up a substantially small segment of the population and are red heads from genetic causes. Should that be off limits? What about presidents and their first ladies? These are straight relationships. Should that be off limits? Please explain why this law in any way makes sense based on your reasoning here?

Laws shape history, have there ever been laws that persecuted homosexuals? Alan Turing comes to mind as someone who made a historical impact and part of his story is being forcibly sterilized for being a homosexual (he later killed himself). Attitudes toward sex absolutely shape events and add context to what has happened. Should the Iliad be banned because Helen was having sex with more than one man?

Stop being a prude.

Lets pick apart your argument here. Should any of these descriptors you've just listed be off limits? Napoleon is always portrayed as short. Should that be off limits? Red heads make up a substantially small segment of the population and are red heads from genetic causes. Should that be off limits? What about presidents and their first ladies? These are straight relationships. Should that be off limits? Please explain why this law in any way makes sense based on your reasoning here?
The point I was making is it doesn't matter so why would it be taught? When you learned about George Washington we know his wife's name was Martha and other ancillary things about her but it didn't affect why he is an important historical person. Same for Napoleon's height, he was short so what? Interesting but trivial. Learning about someone's sexuality has nothing to do with history, nothing. Did Alexander the Great have a mistress? Was he gay? Who cares? Why do you and other libs think children need to learn about someone's sexual lives? Those are not school subjects.

Laws shape history, have there ever been laws that persecuted homosexuals? Alan Turing comes to mind as someone who made a historical impact and part of his story is being forcibly sterilized for being a homosexual (he later killed himself). Attitudes toward sex absolutely shape events and add context to what has happened. Should the Iliad be banned because Helen was having sex with more than one man?

Stop being a prude.
It has nothing to do with being a prude, it has to do with context. There are things that should be taught at home because a parent has the right to decide what their children learn and when and in what context it is being taught. They know their children best and know better than some 20 something or radical leftist what is important and what is not.

Should schools be allowed to teach that God created the earth in 6 days and the first people were Adam and Eve? Or do think THAT should be taught at home?

The point I was making is it doesn't matter so why would it be taught? When you learned about George Washington we know his wife's name was Martha and other ancillary things about her but it didn't affect why he is an important historical person. Same for Napoleon's height, he was short so what? Interesting but trivial. Learning about someone's sexuality has nothing to do with history, nothing. Did Alexander the Great have a mistress? Was he gay? Who cares? Why do you and other libs think children need to learn about someone's sexual lives? Those are not school subjects.
But DeSantis wants to make any talk of Washington being married illegal (And I know that he doesn't, but he does want to make any talk of gay people being married illegal). Do you see the double standard here? Why will it still be ok to talk about Washington being married but not the relationships of any gay people throughout history?

It has nothing to do with being a prude, it has to do with context. There are things that should be taught at home because a parent has the right to decide what their children learn and when and in what context it is being taught. They know their children best and know better than some 20 something or radical leftist what is important and what is not.

Should schools be allowed to teach that God created the earth in 6 days and the first people were Adam and Eve? Or do think THAT should be taught at home?
But why will straight relationships still be ok after this law but not gay relationships? Explain this to me.

Reactions: Rudolph
Hmm, liberals hate details around both their vote harvesting and indoctrination teachings from becoming public, that surprises no one.
Whatever fanciful shit you need to make up in your weak little brain, you do that.

Good grief.

You don't think kids in K-6th ever bring up subjects about sexual orientation or gender identity in general conversations. What if a child mentions his two moms or two dads and other children question the student's claim, can the teacher explain that some families have 2 moms or dads? How about a 6th grader that shares their feelings about their possible sexual orientation with their teacher who doesn't feel safe talking to their parents about it, doesn't the law require the teacher to report the conversation to the parents even though it might put the child in danger?

See my earlier post. If we actually followed this law no discussions that included gender would be acceptable. A teacher couldn't call girls girls, boys boys, a teacher couldn't talk about sons and daughters, moms, and dads, grandmothers and grandfathers. All of this would be off the table because these all are gender descriptions. It's ok for you to say that this proposal is stupid. There is no reason to keep defending a proposed law so transparently designed to attack the lgtbq while leaving the straights unscathed.
Okay, thank you both for answering my question. I see why you think this bill is offensive.

But why will straight relationships still be ok after this law but not gay relationships? Explain this to me.
I think you are making too much of this, Huey. I don’t care if a figure from history is gay just as I don’t care if you are gay. As a topic for a sex Ed class it is a different story.

What are people like you? Whose going after you? Seems to me most Americans just want to be left to live their own lives and not be told what they can and can't think, who they can and can't hire, what they can and can't say. I think liberals would enjoy life much better if they just didn't try and push their crazy ideas on the rest of us. Live and let live.
Now this is some ironic shit. Especially in this thread.

I think you are making too much of this, Huey. I don’t care if a figure from history is gay just as I don’t care if you are gay. As a topic for a sex Ed class it is a different story.
So talking about Lincoln being married is ok, but not any gay relationships? How does this work? This isn't a sex ed topic.

More irony.

Is the school discussion going to cover the LGBTQ communities propensity to drum up false claims of victimhood and have the MSM rave about it for weeks on end?

So talking about Lincoln being married is ok, but not any gay relationships? How does this work? This isn't a sex ed topic.
Mary Todd was also a figure in history. Additionally, it’s not like there were tons of out of the closet gays until recent history. Excluding the Romans/Greeks.

Mary Todd was also a figure in history. Additionally, it’s not like there were tons of out of the closet gays until recent history. Excluding the Romans/Greeks.
What about people like Pete Buttigieg or the Governor of Colorado, Jared Polis? We can't dare bring up them being gay? This is getting ridiculous.

Teachers know most kids better than their parents do.

Schools do teach Christian doctrine, and Buddhist and Islamic and Mormon et al....Not sure what point you're trying to make with that?

Oscar Wilde was a famous homosexual, much of his work revolves around themes that are derived from his sexuality. Should his work be banned? Or should students be able to understand those themes through his particular lens?

Face it, you just don't want kids exposed to different ideas.

Make no mistake, if this is passed as is it will lead to a rise in teen suicides in Florida. Ron DeSantis doesn't care one bit how many gay kids die in Florida if it helps him become POTUS in 2024. Dead gay kids. Floridians who died because of Covid that could have lived with the help of a vaccination or social distancing... It doesn't matter. DeSantis is never going to miss an opportunity to swing to the right to win 2024 primary voters hearts and minds.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I blame Will and Grace. It used to be okay to make fun of the gays. You used to be able to openly discriminate against them. Part of this is the predictable backlash from a large portion of the GOP's core that is angry that they have to accept others as their equals, and they have to see gays in TV commercials applying for loans, or having a meal together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT