ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: Ron DeSantis, ‘Don’t say gay,’ and the new GOP ‘snitch culture’

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Greg Sargent
Columnist
Today at 10:57 a.m. EST

The GOP proposals sweeping the country that restrict the teaching of race have an obvious purpose: to make teachers feel perpetually on thin ice, so they shy away from difficult discussions about our national past rather than risk breaking laws in ways they cannot themselves anticipate.
Opinions to start the day, in your inbox. Sign up.
But there’s another, more pernicious goal driving these bills that might well succeed politically precisely because it remains largely unstated. The darker underlying premise here is that these bills are needed in the first place, because subversive elements lurk around every corner in schools, looking to pervert, indoctrinate or psychologically torture your kids.
Firmly establishing this premise as true — as the basis for moral panic — is itself the key to this broader campaign. Two developments in the school wars drive this home.

ADVERTISING

First, a new battle has erupted between the White House and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), now that DeSantis has signaled support for what critics are calling the “Don’t say gay” bill advancing in the Florida legislature. The bill would restrict classroom discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity, and President Biden just slammed it as “hateful.”
Second, a new GOP proposal in West Virginia would establish a tip line for parents to report teachers caught proselytizing about critical race theory. After a similar tip line was instituted in Virginia, this suggests the mania for mechanisms to rat out offending teachers may be spreading.
The Florida “Don’t say gay” bill prohibits school districts from encouraging “discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity” that is not “age appropriate” or “developmentally appropriate.”

In response to critics who argue this would stigmatize LGBTQ people, supporters insist it wouldn’t prohibit such discussions if they arise. But the bill doesn’t define what is “age-appropriate” or “developmentally appropriate.”

This is likely to leave teachers fearing that if they do engage such a discussion, parents might decide it’s not age-appropriate and object. DeSantis underscored the absurdity here, declaring it’s “entirely inappropriate” for teachers to have such conversations, which seems to give away the bill’s goal of making teachers feel on thin ice when such discussions do come up.
In that regard, it’s important to note that the bill also would allow parents to bring legal action against school districts, in which courts could “award damages.” As a PEN America report documents, many proposals across the country require punitive action against teachers and give parents such a right of action.

They also suffer from vague drafting. Some would prohibit teaching materials that merely “include” various “concepts,” such as the notions that the United States was “founded” as a “racist” nation and is “irredeemably” racist, or concepts that might cause “discomfort,” or even “anti-American” ideologies. It’s reasonable to think certain civil rights and abolitionist tracts might run afoul of such directives.
Which brings us to the new West Virginia bill, which would require the state to set up a tip line for parents to report sightings of teachers who smuggle critical race theory (the idea that racial disparities are baked into law and institutions) into discussions.
The chief sponsor of the bill, state Sen. Michael Azinger (R), gave away the game in an exchange with a local news outlet. Azinger suggested that “negative” teachings of U.S. history must be monitored, whatever that’s supposed to mean. Then this happened:

REPORTER: You don’t think that racism played a part in U.S. history?
AZINGER: If you want [to ask] a loaded question, you can do that.
It’s a “loaded question” to ask how far teachers can go in discussing our racial past in the face of state restrictions on these discussions? The vagueness is the whole point.
Here’s the rub: It’s the combination of this vagueness and punitive mechanisms such as rights of action and tip lines that is the problem. And proposals for tip lines are proliferating.
It goes without saying that there’s nothing wrong with parents being kept apprised of what’s happening in classrooms, and having input into it. But that’s not what’s going on here. Instead, precisely because teachers might fear that they can’t anticipate how they might run afoul of the law — while also fearing punishment for such transgressions — they might skirt difficult subjects altogether.

The deeper idea here is to advance the underlying premise that parents should fear a shadowy, hard-to-define, menacingly all-pervasive subversive element within. A bill in New Hampshire puts this into writing, barring advocacy of “subversive doctrines,” which is supposed to make you fear your child is at risk of being exposed to them.

Florida-based strategist Rick Wilson, who has broken with the GOP and knows from within how Republicans prosecute such culture wars, calls this a new “snitch culture” that’s taking hold of his former party.
“They want teachers to be scared in the classroom,” Wilson says. “We’re going to see test cases … all over this country.” As Wilson notes, the entire point is to put the base on high alert for “apostasy.”

The roots of this run deep. As a great episode of the “Know Your Enemy” podcast details, calls for maximal parental choice and control in schools have been used by the right for decades as a smoke screen to sow fears and doubts about public education at its ideological foundations. The move from restricting race discourse to more “snitch” lines is perfectly in sync with that history.
If you pay close attention not just to the language of these bills but also to the unstated premises they are trying to advance, you can see this happening all over again.

I send my 14 to school to learn math, reading, science, history. Kind of like we did when we went to school. Why would a teacher need to be afraid if they are teaching multiplication?

this is about reigning in the bat poop crazy ideology of the left and making sure parents can complain when their 8 year old comes home and says they learned how to eat little Tommy’s Ass in social studies

Reactions: abby97 and goldmom
I send my 14 to school to learn math, reading, science, history. Kind of like we did when we went to school. Why would a teacher need to be afraid if they are teaching multiplication?

this is about reigning in the bat poop crazy ideology of the left and making sure parents can complain when their 8 year old comes home and says they learned how to eat little Tommy’s Ass in social studies
Lgbtq isn't a political discussion. We are people. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that we exist.

Multiplication is what the Jews use to calculate interest. Addition is what the Left uses to count their fraudulent votes. Reading is what the MSM relies on to spread their lies. Science is what lead to Fauci, as well as the Global Warming and Covid myths. History? That's called CRT.

Don't let your guard down. Be vigilant. Or the Leftists will win. If you see something, say something.

WWG1WGA! MAGA!

Lgbtq isn't a political discussion. We are people. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that we exist.
Good news is that it's such a stupid bill that if it were to become law it would go the way of the Scopes trial very fast. It's just as stupid as that law was.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Good news is that it's such a stupid bill that if it were to become law it would go the way of the Scopes trial very fast. It's just as stupid as that law was.
It's beyond infuriating that DeSantis thinks that gay people are a threat to kids. He is homophobic and trash. We are just regular people trying to live our lives. Attempting to put us back in the closet is wrong wrong wrong.

It's beyond infuriating that DeSantis thinks that gay people are a threat to kids. He is homophobic and trash. We are just regular people trying to live our lives. Attempting to put us back in the closet is wrong wrong wrong.
I don't think this is as much about him thinking they're a threat as he does an inconvenience to deal with, when idiot parents get all riled up with the "Why is my 9 year old son being told about LGBTQ people?" The latest poutrage is getting the grease. No one talks about their problems with one another anymore. They just run to Facebook/ Twitter and shout past the person they think are ruining their lives at that moment.

Either way, it's an incredibly stupid law.

I think this law is unnecessary - but learning about sexual identity in grade school is not necessary either. And no one should be marginalized in any way. What can and should be expected and encouraged is respect for every fellow human regardless of who or what they are.
You sit in a classroom and you learn to read, write, add and subtract and how to dissect a frog while not swooning from the odor of formaldehyde. All the while working alongside other human beings who may or may not look like you, think like you, or have different opinions than you. Learn to deal with that. It’s called life.

I think this law is unnecessary - but learning about sexual identity in grade school is not necessary either. And no one should be marginalized in any way. What can and should be expected and encouraged is respect for every fellow human regardless of who or what they are.
You sit in a classroom and you learn to read, write, add and subtract and how to dissect a frog while not swooning from the odor of formaldehyde. All the while working alongside other human beings who may or may not look like you, think like you, or have different opinions than you. Learn to deal with that. It’s called life.
From the proposal's sponsor:

“Some discussions are for with your parents. And I think when you start opening sexual-type discussions with children, you’re entering a very dangerous zone,”

Make no mistake, Goldy, this is a full on attack against the lgtbq. He literally calls us dangerous to kids.

“Some discussions are for with your parents. And I think when you start opening sexual-type discussions with children, you’re entering a very dangerous zone,”

Make no mistake, Goldy, this is a full on attack against the lgtbq. He literally calls us dangerous to kids.
Not to mention those sinister teachers!

Reactions: gohawks50
Not to mention those sinister teachers!
Under this law any mention of boys or girls or moms or dads or marriage should likewise be banned. These are all gender and sexuality related. But I suspect Ron will have no problem with these examples staying in place.

Reactions: Rudolph
Weird how conservative posters assured me that the Rs wouldn't come after people like me.
What are people like you? Whose going after you? Seems to me most Americans just want to be left to live their own lives and not be told what they can and can't think, who they can and can't hire, what they can and can't say. I think liberals would enjoy life much better if they just didn't try and push their crazy ideas on the rest of us. Live and let live.

Reactions: goldmom
I see that you're also ok with a law pushing us back in the closet. Why?
Now you’re being hysterical. I’m pushing NO ONE in the closet. If you persist in this overreaction you’ll just look silly.
Read my post above. Seriously I hope you don’t really think I’m a homophobic hater.

Reactions: TennNole17
There are things to be taught in school and things to be taught at home. No one is saying LQBTQ people don't exist, it just isn't what public school should be focused on. Many of us believe God exists but the left won't allow us to teach about him in school. Somethings are to be taught at home.

Reactions: Warrior Poet31

I have no idea what experience you’ve had in your life as a gay person so I won’t put you down and discount your feelings. But to me “dangerous zone” is much more about how a parent’s right and obligations to teach their kids how to respect other human beings is being squashed.
Take a deep breath here. 😤

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT