• Jim Leonhard

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Luke Fickell

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

BonzoFury

HB All-American
Feb 4, 2022
This one is worth some debate. I'll go with the 20 year window to avoid the obvious...Barry Alvarez. Vote for up to 2

This one is worth some debate. I'll go with the 20 year window to avoid the obvious...Barry Alvarez. Vote for up to 2
Chryst probably. Bert did a decent job. The last two weren't or haven't been HC long enough to grade.....

Alvarez was barely a .500 coach. His final couple were pedestrian
Might wanna check your numbers. Barry had a .621 winning % almost identical to Hayden and not far behind KFz. He also revived the Wisconsin program and won 3 Rose Bowls. Something that only one other B1G coach has done....Woody Hayes.

Might wanna check your numbers. Barry had a .621 winning % almost identical to Hayden and not far behind KFz. He also revived the Wisconsin program and won 3 Rose Bowls. Something that only one other B1G coach has done....Woody Hayes.
I lived it. You seem to be the researcher. Post his record and Big 10 record

It could be argued that during the time he was Wisconsin athletic director he was still, in part, the head coach. I don't think it is a coincidence that Wisconsin has slipped a notch since Alvarez retired.

Last edited:
I lived it. You seem to be the researcher. Post his record and Big 10 record
Your memory is a bit fuzzy. Bonzo is right - Barry's overall record is 119-72-4 - and his last two seasons went 9-3 and 10-3. The leaner seasons were 2001-2003. That said, your point about B1G record is important, because that is a mediocre 65-60-3.

Chryst probably. Bert did a decent job. The last two weren't or haven't been HC long enough to grade.....

A bunch of fat cheeseheads drunk … I can’t stand that team and I hope they lose all of their games this year and Iowa smashes them 64-0

Your memory is a bit fuzzy. Bonzo is right - Barry's overall record is 119-72-4 - and his last two seasons went 9-3 and 10-3. The leaner seasons were 2001-2003. That said, your point about B1G record is important, because that is a mediocre 65-60-3.
Yes, and the big record is the measure of consequence. More often than not he didn’t crack 3-4 wins in conf. Yes, he blew past that 4-5 times. He didn’t build a program by challenging himself in the non con. He’s a good guy, he was a good coach, he hired good coaches, he won some big rose bowls, it clouds much of reality. Likely those 10-3 and 9-3 season records you sited were 5-3 big ten records. I don’t know.

Firing Chryst is something Wisky will regret. Fickle is their Alford w/o being an asshole

Last edited:
Yes, and the big record is the measure of consequence. He didn’t build a program by challenging himself in the non con. He was a good coach, he hired good coaches, he won some big rose bowls, it clouds much of reality. Pretty likely those 10-3 and 9-3 season records you sited were 5-3 big ten records….those were upswings after some real clunkers
Two Rose Bowl wins aren't "clouding" reality....they're a reality a lot of teams (including Iowa) would love to be part of. Barry wasn't Nick Saban but he certainly boosted the Badger program.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Two Rose Bowl wins aren't "clouding" reality....they're a reality a lot of teams (including Iowa) would love to be part of. Barry wasn't Nick Saban but he certainly boosted the Badger program.
Of course he boosted them. They were decentuntil McClain died. Morton was the equivalent of Lautenberg and Cummings- maybe worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT