Jan 29, 2002
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2019/index.html

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams, "Vice"
Marina de Tavira, "Roma"
Regina King, "If Beale Street Could Talk"
Emma Stone, "The Favourite"
Rachel Weisz, "The Favourite"

That is #6 for Amy Adams but she will be an underdog to Regina King based on awards so far.

BEST PICTURE
"Black Panther"
"BlacKkKlansman"
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"The Favourite"
"Green Book"
"Roma"
"A Star Is Born"
"Vice"

Good field this year.
Films I've actually watched out of personal interest rather than simply doing it bc they were nominated.

Only seen Black Panther and BlackKlansman in Best Picture category. Started Roma but it wasn't for me.

3 Identical Strangers and Wont You Be My Neighbor were both left out of the Best Documentary category which disappoints me. Both were fantastic

Reactions: Nole Lou
Only seen Black Panther and BlackKlansman in Best Picture category. Started Roma but it wasn't for me.

3 Identical Strangers and Wont You Be My Neighbor were both left out of the Best Documentary category which disappoints me. Both were fantastic

I've seen Black Panther, BlacKKKlansman, and Bohemian Rhapsody. I won't be seeing A Star is Born or Vice out of lack of interest I think. Will probably watch the others as they become available, although Roma seems like a slog.

Of the three I've seen, BlacKKKlansman was by far the best film. I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, and Black Panther for that matter, but would never think of them in "great film" terms. To me, both are maybe 10-15% above their genre standard, which is fine, but doesn't make them a special movie.

I haven't seen Neighbor yet. I did watch 3 Identical Strangers...I thought it was good, but I don't know if I thought it was cinematic enough to be Oscar level, it was a little "television-y", but it might be worthy.

I did see Minding the Gap. Not my favorite doc by far, I lean toward documentaries that are a little more narratively propulsive, but it was quite well done.

Reactions: Dorrman

What did you think of Black Klansman? I haven’t seen it yet.

And what is 3 Identical Strangers about?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2019/index.html

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams, "Vice"
Marina de Tavira, "Roma"
Regina King, "If Beale Street Could Talk"
Emma Stone, "The Favourite"
Rachel Weisz, "The Favourite"

That is #6 for Amy Adams but she will be an underdog to Regina King based on awards so far.

BEST PICTURE
"Black Panther"
"BlacKkKlansman"
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"The Favourite"
"Green Book"
"Roma"
"A Star Is Born"
"Vice"
The Favourite was good, but you have to like period drama, feminism and lesbians.

I've seen Black Panther, BlacKKKlansman, and Bohemian Rhapsody. I won't be seeing A Star is Born or Vice out of lack of interest I think. Will probably watch the others as they become available, although Roma seems like a slog.

Of the three I've seen, BlacKKKlansman was by far the best film. I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, and Black Panther for that matter, but would never think of them in "great film" terms. To me, both are maybe 10-15% above their genre standard, which is fine, but doesn't make them a special movie.
I can add A Star is Born and Green Book and still say BlacKKKlansman is the better movie.

Reactions: Nole Lou
I think the first part depends on the time of the month for the third part
Best movie Rachael Weisz has made since she won her Oscar.
Emma Stone is great, as always.
If you've even seen "The Night Manager", there is no doubt Olivia Colman could pull off a crazy, sick Queen Anne.

I just have a hard time taking a movie seriously that is set in late 17th century England where a sick, nutty Queen, her best-friend confidant and her young maid are allowed to make any decisions about taxes and wars in this male-dominated period of time in Europe.

Hence, if you view the movie as a comedy versus a historically accurate drama, it is quite good.

Best movie Rachael Weisz has made since she won her Oscar.
Emma Stone is great, as always.
If you've even seen "The Night Manager", there is no doubt Olivia Colman could pull off a crazy, sick Queen Anne.

I just have a hard time taking a movie seriously that is set in late 17th century England where a sick, nutty Queen, her best-friend confidant and her young maid are allowed to make any decisions about taxes and wars in this male-dominated period of time in Europe.

Hence, if you view the movie as a comedy versus a historically accurate drama, it is quite good.

Swing and a miss

The Favourite was good, but you have to like period drama, feminism and lesbians.

Cute-prairie-dog-eats-broccoli.gif

What did you think of Black Klansman? I haven’t seen it yet.

And what is 3 Identical Strangers about?

I liked BlackKlansman, it was pretty funny for a serious topic.

3 Identical Strangers is Story about triplets that were separated at birth only to find each other later in life. The story takes bizarre turn with the adoption agency. It will be aired on CNN on Sunday

Vice is worth seeing just for Christian Bales portrayal.

Reactions: mstp1992
The films for children each year are always filled with
block-busters from Disney

The films for adults this past year were notable for their
absence of any blockbuster. Hollywood is enduring a
slump for good scripts/stories for an excellent film.

I'll throw my testicles on the table as i say this, but A Star is Born was fantastic. My girlfriend (no pics and already put testicles on the table) and I watched the first 3, yes 3 before it (1930's, 1950's, and of course 1970's) and Cooper did a really good job of keeping parts of all of them, but creating a great story of his own. It's extremely emotional and anyone who has ever dealt with alcoholism and/or suicide will be torn apart by this movie. The music really is very good and the acting is fantastic.

Green Book is very much worth the price of admission. Very good movie and highly recommend. You won't be disappointed.

3 Identical Strangers was good...not great, but good. It's very interesting and a crazy story. It kind of drug out in the fourth quarter.

Didn't see the others, but gonna try to see Vice this weekend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT