ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Womens BB

Drmac22

HR All-American
Nov 21, 2001
Swisher
How does OSU get away with Hiring the parent of two highly rated recruits as an assistant there. He was a boys basketball coach at a High School and then gets the assistants job at OSU.. hmmm lucky his two girls were good ballers.

Lucky for OSU

He is a big boy and his daughter is a heck of a player.

Watched her post game interview after the game and she seems like a very bright young lady. Very impressive.

More typical dirty OSU stuff. Win at all cost in every program. Winning trumps ethics, integrity and class in this state. Most Big Ten schools are for the good of the conference. OSU is for the good of OSU. Even worse, the majority of OSU fans, especially the obnoxious ones, didn't sniff a class room in Columbus and are cast offs of the state's many other universities.

Good for Gene Smith and OSU. Obviously they get the memo and realize their place in the BIG, and actually place emphasis on winning. Barta would do good to follow this model a little more.

I had to laugh when I saw that guy on the floor. Looked like some random parent came down from the stands and was giving advice to the OSU coach.

yeah, let's guess how long he will be around after his daughter is gone. Over under is .5 seasons!

Re: OSU Wve omens BB

I remember years ago Kansas got Danny Manning to commit. I don't remember if it was his dad, or coach, that they hired as an assistant coach. Then, 15 or 20 years ago Illinois hired McClain from Peoria Manual, I believe. He was the father of the point guard McClain who committed to Illinois. I'm sure there is a lot of this that goes on. I've always been proud of the Iowa program (other than the Alford fiasco!)

Didn't we hire Vivian Stringer's husband for some athletic administrative position at iowa? Not quite the same, but same ballpark. It's not right, but the game is what it is right now, and the NCAA will never crack down on this kind of stuff, so the only question we should ask is...why aren't we doing this too?

Originally posted by thewop:
Didn't we hire Vivian Stringer's husband for some athletic administrative position at iowa? Not quite the same, but same ballpark. It's not right, but the game is what it is right now, and the NCAA will never crack down on this kind of stuff, so the only question we should ask is...why aren't we doing this too?
That's common university practice, not just in athletics. When you hire someone important to the faculty, you usually arrange for his/her spouse to be hired in some capacity in the university as well.

This post was edited on 3/8 5:44 PM by UpstreamHawkeye

Originally posted by Drmac22:
How does OSU get away with Hiring the parent of two highly rated recruits as an assistant there.  He was a boys basketball coach at a High School and then gets the assistants job at OSU.. hmmm lucky his two girls were good ballers. 

Link: Lucky for OSU[/URL]
The sister isn't highly rated. She's just part of the package. She's injured but you can see her around the fringes of the huddle. She's a lot closer to Dad's size than her sister's.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Tom Davis hired Ray Thompson's high school coach.

Lisa Bluder hired Michael Morgan as an assistant....I'm sure it had nothing to do with Crystal Smith being his daughter.

This post was edited on 3/8 7:24 PM by Legend12

Originally posted by Legend12:

Lisa Bluder hired Michael Morgan as an assistant....I'm sure it had nothing to do with Crystal Smith being his daughter.

Yeah but we're bad-mouthing Ohio State so let's not try to ruin that....Thanks.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:

Yeah but we're bad-mouthing Ohio State so let's not try to ruin that....Thanks.
I'm not sure Morgan and his daughter Smith arrived together. I think Morgan was an assistant to Bluder at Drake. Could be wrong, but it seems right. I know Morgan was working in DM prior to coaching. I think I remember Thompson's coach was a graduate assistant. And older graduate assistant, though. I think he was planning on getting graduate degree to be eligible to be a superintendent or something.

Michael Morgan went way back with Lisa Bluder. "For five years, he helped Bluder and assistant coaches Jan Jensen and Jenni Fitzgerald teach fundamentals of post-play, shooting and defense to athletes at the Drake University Women's basketball camp." Yes, it had nothing to do with Crystal Smith.

Of all of the great girls HS coaches out there, you have to wonder why he hired a boys HS basketball coach. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the daughter(s). Yeah right!

Stringer's husband is no different than any other "trailing spouse" in academia.

Iowa football lost a big LB recruit to Indiana when they hired his dad. Kenney?

Sergio and Wayne McClain was the Iilinois duo.

He is on record of stating that whatever school hired him as an assistant, would get his daughter to play for them. This topic was discussed on Lisa blunder call in show and Lisa essentially confirmed this arrangement by indicating she did not want to get in to that discussion.

And then she didn't play Crystal much until her junior year.

For what it's worth, Dad Mitchell coached boys AAU. But what's to stop any OSU-like school from hiring a Wal-Mart greeter to be an assistant coach, as long as the person is a parent of a Top 10 recruit? Guessing assistant coaches make $60-$80K / year? What Wal-Mart greater wouldn't take that? Pay for play?!?

One thing is true, after Crystal Smith graduated, Morgan wasn't around much longer.

Originally posted by thewop:
No, it is certainly NOT the same ball park. It isn't even the same game.

There were never any Stringer kids recruited at Iowa; her son was recruited to play football at NC State...about5 years after she went to Rutgers.

Bill Stringer was a highly respected, well qualified physical therapist who was under consideration by the U of Iowa Med School BEFORE Vivian was offered by the WOMEN'S Athletic Director, Christine Clark---a Hall of Fame figure in American athletics, celebrated for her unequal prominent role in the adoption of Title IX.

Stringer at the time was coaching in a small, under-financed predominantly Black college outside Philadelphia, with Temple U's legendary coach John Chaney as the men's coach at the same time. Stringer & Chaney paired closely, educating each other, advising each other. He encouraged her to seek the job at Iowa, campaigning forcfully with Iowa AD Clark on her behalf.

When UIHC offered the position to Bill Stringer, it was a key factor in the recruitment process for Vivian, a highly-sought coach who had taken her poorly financed small program to the NCAA Final Four. The opportunity for her to coach a high major program in the prestigious Big Ten while Bill joined the staff of the highly-rated Physical Therapy program at UIHC was, in her words, dream of a lifetime. Her sister made successful job inquiries in Iowa City, and both families, accompanied by mom, moved to Iowa City. After Bill's death, when the sorrows of constant remimders were too much to endure, Vivian accepted a record-setting contract at Rutgers, which included medical care & nursing for a severely handicapped daughter (continuing to this day). Mother & daughter remained in Iowa, until Mom joined the family in New Brunswick to help with the burden of a daugther requiring 24-hour care.

It WAS VERY ''Right". You can rid yourself of any notions otherwise. If you actually believe Vivian and Bill Stringer would have come to Iowa on the condition that a job for one would have to mean a job for the other, you simply have no idea AT ALL of the quality and character of the Stringers. Indeed, if Bill had decided to go elsewhere (to Hanneman Hospital in Philly, which was a real possibility, and leave Vivian to seek a coaching position there locally, John Chaney doubtless would have realized his dream to have Vivian coaching the Temple women, sharing their enduring friendship in an office close by.

Please, for the sake of decency, delete your post.

That guy is a hoot. He has to be near 400 lbs. It is funny watching him try to jump up when he gets excited. His arms waving in the air. It is a shame that recruiting has come to this but it has. Whatever it takes I guess.

Up to your usual lies and distortions. Crystal was living in Louisiana, she spent almost her entire childhood there, making summer visits to stay with her birth-father in Des Moines. It was only a few years after Bluder left Drake U in Des Moines to take the Iowa job, and Bluder knew her from playing wherever she could find a game in her times in Des Moines---from the time Crystal was a less-than-pint-sized 80 pound 13 year old. The half-pint brought herself a lot of attention, including from the Drake staff.

If Bluder had remained the Drake coach, Crystal would have played her college ball at Drake. I know that from Crystal herself.
Crystal had committed to Lisa Bluder long, long before Bluder talked to Mike about joining her staff.

You know, you could troll without all the constant lying, distortions, misrepresntations, smears, libels....Or, if you find your psyche requires being a third-rate asswipe you should at least move somewhere closer than Idaho to engage in your libelous trolling. You would probably even be able to hide your Moo loyalties easier if you weren't 1200 miles away.

Just after New Years I joined my usual coffee group. I got there late, the conversation was about a HS freshman from Muscatine who had "blown up" in the game over the weekend in Iowa City. Since we all live on the West side of Iowa City, around Mormon Trek & Melrose Avenue, and half of them either went to West High or had kids there, and when the chatting turns to another topic than the Hawkeyes it is usually about the exceptional success of West High boys & girls athletic, especially hoops---or now much of it is about UNI & its trio of stars from West. I listened to the raves aboutyoung Nathan Funkhauser of Muscatine, the favorable comparisons of his high school performance to that of Connor McCaffery now and Lohaus & Morgan earlier. I ASSUMED, I would think understandably, but WRONGLY that Funkhauser had won this praise in a game against West High. No, it was against City High.

Nonetheless, a freshman playing against a center with 4 inches height advantage & two teammates as tall as Funkhauser & bigger, with your assignment being to feed passes to screaned, cutting teammates small & untalented, scoring 23 points against a major Class 5 program IS IMPRESSIVE. In the 4th quarter, in hopes of finally getting the ball up the court and decent shots, the coach moved Funkhauser to PG....and he singlehandedly outscored City High with 14 4th quarter points.
Since then, both of the leading gurus about Iowa HS hoops have expressed their opinions that he has more natural ability & figures to be a better college prospect than Connor McCaffery (they say the samething about Connor's younger brother, 8th grader Patrick as well).

A comparison of two or three highly promising HS kids is not the point. What is, is that I posted my remarks in a SINGLE, ONLY post in that thread about Connor McCaffery. I posted late in the evening; later I find that our not-so-legenday troll posted in one of his usual rude, intemperate, slanderous trollings that I had obviously intentionally lied, did so with malignant intent, etc etc. He did so within an hour of my post, demonstrating of course that he was in his usual trolling routine looking to find some kind of mistake by a Hawkeye fan. I didn't know of his response until several days later, when it---and the troll's followup were quoted in another threat on an entirely different subject.

I went back and looked at it---and his followup early the next day in which he claimed that a SECOND POST by me was absolute proof because it REPEATED the "lie" (about City High rather than West) even though I "knew" from his post that it was incorrect. Posts on Hawkeye Rivals always include date AND TIME---his second post is BEFORE i posted in the other thread. As this thread clearly shows I only posted that one error about West rather than City. I NEVER posted in the Connor McCaffery post again: I would haveliked to clarify my mistake, but by the time I brought the subject up at the next coffee session to get it factually straight, Dan53 had very graciously made the correction for me. Normally, I would have responded to the troll myself soon after. But I had to travel to Chicago for the first of a number of trips on a consulting contract: Retired, having used most of my IRA & TIAA retirement funds to help finance eleven college & university degrees for four daughters, not much was left beyond my social security. So I am grateful for every opportunity to make very decernt money in a short time---especially now that I have been retired for 17 years, and my "expertise" is less valued understandably.

I apologize, but this is really the first occasion when I have had time to bother with trolls & their usual absurdities...particularly since most of them follow from Moo U delusions. But this not-so-legendary troll is both one of the most addicted to slander and one of the least with any regard for truth or fair comment.

Originally posted by BondHawk:
My wife asked why Suge Knight was standing in the huddle during timeouts.

LOL...mine thought it was Cedric the Entertainer.

Tigger, Thanks for the insight. It is plain to see that they hired this guy to get to his daughter. I think it is the norm at OSU to do anything they need to win and they do it. even when they get caught they still just take the hit and keep on doing BAU. Its the same for many of the SEC schools. It seems that when schools are successful all the time, and are dominate, that ends up being the reason is because they are skirting the rules and basically cheating. I guess as a fan base you want the team to win and over look this stuff, I think I would rather be middle of the pack and try to do it right then cheat and win at all cost.

Tigger, Thanks for the insight. It is plain to see that they hired this guy to get to his daughter. I think it is the norm at OSU to do anything they need to win and they do it. even when they get caught they still just take the hit and keep on doing BAU. Its the same for many of the SEC schools. It seems that when schools are successful all the time, and are dominate, that ends up being the reason is because they are skirting the rules and basically cheating. I guess as a fan base you want the team to win and over look this stuff, I think I would rather be middle of the pack and try to do it right then cheat and win at all cost.
Yeah thanks Tigger. And this is pretty much how I feel about doing things the right way. I wouldn't trade our gals for any in the country, period.

Also Tigger, did you mean Christine Grant?

On another note, we were just talking about the coach Mitchell and would be interested to see his salary. I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me that he would be above the normal, especially based on his college experience. lol

Originally posted by Cerro Gordo Hawk:
Good for Gene Smith and OSU. Obviously they get the memo and realize their place in the BIG, and actually place emphasis on winning. Barta would do good to follow this model a little more.
Does that mean Iowa should be hiring assistant WBB coach Michael Porter (Sr.) [Iowa alumni Lisa Becker's husband] in the hopes that top 10 2017 MBB talent 6'9" Michael Porter Jr. ( and his younger brothers and sister) will play their college basketball years at Iowa?

There is the chance that Lisa Becker Porter's sister (Head Women's basketball coach Robin Becker Pingeton) may be on a hot seat next year as she has never gotten her Missouri women's team past the WNIT 1st round nor made the NCAA tournament. SEC is tough with South Carolina and Tennessee programs as top 10. 5 SEC teams are in the top 20 poll presently.

Lisa is native to Cedar Rapids area. Might the Iowa City Corridor look better than Columbia, MO?

No, what I meant was the entire Iowa athletic department as a whole. Barta has done a horrible job with the other sports, look at where we rank in the BIG each year, for all sports.

Originally posted by hawkfan55:

How does OSU get away with Hiring the parent of two highly rated recruits as an assistant there. He was a boys basketball coach at a High School and then gets the assistants job at OSU.. hmmm lucky his two girls were good ballers.Â

Link: Lucky for OSU
The sister isn't highly rated. She's just part of the package. She's injured but you can see her around the fringes of the huddle. She's a lot closer to Dad's size than her sister's.

Calling an 18 year old girl out on her weight? You make me proud to be a Hawkeye.

I also hear McCaffery is offering his own son a scholarship. His son! Geez, talk about nepotism.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by IACub:

Originally posted by hawkfan55:

How does OSU get away with Hiring the parent of two highly rated recruits as an assistant there. He was a boys basketball coach at a High School and then gets the assistants job at OSU.. hmmm lucky his two girls were good ballers.Â

Link: Lucky for OSU

Calling an 18 year old girl out on her weight? You make me proud to be a Hawkeye.
so let me get this straight, there are two obscene 'F' words now? good to know.

Talking about Ohio State's coach, he got a technical during the Big Ten Tournament final against Maryland, and Maryland made 1 of 2 free throws from it. At the end of the game OSU was down one with the ball but then turned it over and had to foul Maryland, ending up losing the game. When Ohio State played at Iowa, he got a technical and Iowa made two free throws. Iowa won the game by two. Although, in both games Ohio State made a big run after the technical, so I can't say if either of those were bad moves.

Originally posted by UpstreamHawkeye:
Talking about Ohio State's coach, he got a technical during the Big Ten Tournament final against Maryland, and Maryland made 1 of 2 free throws from it. At the end of the game OSU was down one with the ball but then turned it over and had to foul Maryland, ending up losing the game. When Ohio State played at Iowa, he got a technical and Iowa made two free throws. Iowa won the game by two. Although, in both games Ohio State made a big run after the technical, so I can't say if either of those were bad moves.

Pretty sure it was the head coach who got the technical. He was all the way out in the lane arguing a call.

Originally posted by LinusPF:
Originally posted by UpstreamHawkeye:

Pretty sure it was the head coach who got the technical. He was all the way out in the lane arguing a call.
Yes, sorry if I wasn't very clear in my post. I was talking about their head coach. He was mad about his players during the Iowa game and was mad about the refs yesterday.

This post was edited on 3/9 4:52 PM by UpstreamHawkeye

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT