ADVERTISEMENT

OT baseball

Hawkeye2222

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2014
IA sweeps Cincinnati to go to 7-1 on the season, since this counts toward the Directors cup, the play of the Baseball team, the Men and women BB will go along way to take IA away from the bottom.

Still a long ways to go, always want to have a solid non-conference record when you are in a conference like the B1G. Although Maryland has improved our perception.

Iowa heads to face a tough veteran Middle Tennessee State team next weekend who is 7-2. It will be a challenge, if they can find a way to win 2/3 I will be satisfied. Things get a lot tougher from here as Iowa has MTSU, Houston Baptist, and Kansas. Those three are not world beaters, but they do play in conferences that are known for better baseball compared to northern conferences.

I know nothing about which teams are good but I like what Heller is doing last year was ac start with 30 wins and a trip to the BT Tourney since 2010, I do know that Indiana was in the Baseball top 25 last season, this is something to pass the time till FB season and after last fall any news is good news,

Heller has completely changed the makeup of this program for the most part. He has went out and gotten a lot of juco guys that have contributed right away and really upgraded the overall talent on the team. In addition we still have guys that were Dahm recruits that have progressed well since Heller took over.

They have some special kids on this team. For instance Tyler Peyton, he is there Friday night pitcher and leads the team in batting.. Is the starting 1st baseman. They also have the best recruiting class in the big ten for 2015. It's hellar ball baby!

It's too bad that Heller didn't get hired in 2003 like he should have been.

50ish....played at upper Iowa '82-'86.

This post was edited on 3/3 9:20 AM by cg8284

Originally posted by cg8284:
It's too bad that Heller didn't get hired in 2003 like he should have been.
You're not wrong but Iowa needed a fundraiser in 2003 and Dahm did exactly that. Heller's makes recruiting the state of Iowa a priority, something Dahm rarely did; it would be interesting to see Heller's classes had he been hired in 2003.

As someone who has known Rick a long time, things are just getting started. He had absolutely zero budget and support at UNI. Rick Hartzell tried to aid as much as he could when he was AD but UNI had no money and Heller was forced to do most of the fundraising himself.

He instantly turned Indiana State into a power. Now that Iowa is the only D1 program in the state and he has good facilities and deeper pockets, the sky is the limit. He is a talent DEVELOPER above all else. Iowa should have hired him a decade ago instead of Dahm but that's another story.

update. IA sweeps dbl header from Middle Tennessee ST. to improve to 9-1, they have won 9 in a row after losing their 1st game to KSU.

with baseball I don't know who is good and who is not, but considering the history of IA baseball that is a good start.

Middle Tennessee St wins the 3rd game to stop IA's 9 game wining streak, 9-8 next game is in IA on the 11th of March against AIB,

Ultimately if you win 2/3 every weekend you will be in good shape. This one sucks because the sweep was there for the taking and Iowa gave it away with free bases and an error. Games like this happen a lot in college baseball and I've seen Iowa on both sides of it.

Hopefully they get the AIB game and then on to Houston Baptist. Iowa just needs to keep winning the weekend series, like I said 2/3 is the number you go for.

When B1G play comes we will find out how improved this team is when we take on Indiana and Maryland in 2 of our first 3 series.

Heller has done a remarkable job bringing in the juco talent the past two years which has really improved the team.

beautiful day in IC and IA wins its 1st home game 7-1 next home game will be against vs Bradley March 25th, for now its off to face Houston Babtist for a 4 game stretch

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

update. IA sweeps dbl header from Middle Tennessee ST. to improve to 9-1, they have won 9 in a row after losing their 1st game to KSU.

with baseball I don't know who is good and who is not, but considering the history of IA baseball that is a good start.
I don't believe we have the worst athletic director in the world, but I do have some problems with our athletic department. One of my problems is the lack of any serious statewide effort to publicize and promote many of our athletic teams. I live in Des Moines and read the sports pages every day. I had no clue that the Iowa baseball team had begun playing games this season. I see that the Grinnell and Simpson teams have been playing games, because I see their scores in the paper every day. But, there is no mention of Iowa baseball.

Similarly, there is little coverage of the Iowa track program in the Register, although I have no problem finding the results of meets at which ISU, UNI, Central, or Wartburg have competed.

I understand that this is a two way street, and the Register could be more aggressive in covering Iowa sports other than football and basketball, but the good people in our athletic department seem to think that either the entire universe extends no further than 30 miles from Iowa City, or else they are so arrogant (or clueless) that they think just because something happens in Iowa City, that everyone else in the state should automatically know about it, without their having to lift a finger to promote and publicize what is happening.

We have serious deficiencies in the promotion of our athletic program. I think our baseball team could be really special in a year or two, but who outside of the Iowa City area would ever know that?

Originally posted by Hawk12345:

I don't believe we have the worst athletic director in the world, but I do have some problems with our athletic department. One of my problems is the lack of any serious statewide effort to publicize and promote many of our athletic teams. I live in Des Moines and read the sports pages every day. I had no clue that the Iowa baseball team had begun playing games this season. I see that the Grinnell and Simpson teams have been playing games, because I see their scores in the paper every day. But, there is no mention of Iowa baseball.

Similarly, there is little coverage of the Iowa track program in the Register, although I have no problem finding the results of meets at which ISU, UNI, Central, or Wartburg have competed.

I understand that this is a two way street, and the Register could be more aggressive in covering Iowa sports other than football and basketball, but the good people in our athletic department seem to think that either the entire universe extends no further than 30 miles from Iowa City, or else they are so arrogant (or clueless) that they think just because something happens in Iowa City, that everyone else in the state should automatically know about it, without their having to lift a finger to promote and publicize what is happening.

We have serious deficiencies in the promotion of our athletic program. I think our baseball team could be really special in a year or two, but who outside of the Iowa City area would ever know that?
i'm not saying you're entirely wrong, but i grew up in eastern iowa and i think the general feeling on that side of the state is that the DR kind of shuns all things east of des moines. so IU baseball becomes an easy thing to drop from their news. that might be on the UI athletic department, but just wondered if that could be factor....

That is more of a case of the register blindly supporting ISU athletics 110% and throwing Iowa under the bus than it is our lackluster athletic dept

actually it is the PR department that needs to be addressed, as it is their job to promote IA not the AD department. after the Lick hire Barta has hired Fran and Heller and both programs are on the upswing.

also IA under Heller did sweep Nebraska last year and they are supposed to have a very good Baseball program.
This post was edited on 3/13 9:24 AM by Hawkeye2222

actually it is the PR department that needs to be addressed, as it is their job to promote IA not the AD department. after the Lick hire Barta has hired Fran and Heller and both programs are on the upswing.

also IA under Heller did sweep Nebraska last year and they are supposed to have a very good Baseball program.
Took 2/3 from Nebraska last season, always a great challenge when facing them in baseball as Erstad has upped their talent from Anderson IMO. Not quite an "elite" level like they think though and have such an urge for.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

Took 2/3 from Nebraska last season, always a great challenge when facing them in baseball as Erstad has upped their talent from Anderson IMO. Not quite an "elite" level like they think though and have such an urge for.

I really like seeing the B1G make strides in baseball. The later start date seems to have evened the field some. Is Iowa gonna start playing a better non conference slate in the future?

Originally posted by whatsup12579er:

That is more of a case of the register blindly supporting ISU athletics 110% and throwing Iowa under the bus than it is our lackluster athletic dept
I don't for one minute believe that the Register chooses to print the scores for Loras, Luther, and Coe, but then deliberately omits the scores of the Iowa team. My guess is that Iowa's athletic department doesn't provide that information to the Register in a timely manner.

Reporters are lazy like anyone else. If you make their job easy by providing them with story ideas, they will use them. My daughters played non-football/basketball sports in the Des Moines area. I once asked a Register reporter why they never covered any of these "other" sports. I was told that they would write about these sports if they had the information. So, after that, before the two or three biggest meets/games of the year, I would send a note to the Register explaining what they should cover and why. Every single time that I did this, the Register wrote a story. I can't believe that if the athletic department at Iowa is providing the Register with story ideas about the baseball team, that the Register is going to blow off every single one of these story ideas month after month. My guess is that the athletic department is not doing anything to promote the baseball team and other non-revenue sports on a statewide basis.

Middle Tennessee St wins the 3rd game to stop IA's 9 game wining streak, 9-8 next game is in IA on the 11th of March against AIB,
If you would have said before the MTSU series that Iowa would go in there & win the series, taking the first two games easily, I would have been satisfied with that. But they should have swept & kept the streak alive. In the finale, they had an 8-3 lead going into the bottom of the ninth, but allowed MTSU to score five unearned runs (four on a grand slam HR when the hitter was clueless and down 0-2 in the count). Up to that point, they hadn't beaten themselves. But they sure did there.

this is baseball not FB, The power 5 schools do not dominate teams like Middle Tennessee State.

IA lost the opening game to Houston Baptist, some need to do what I am doing by learning which teams dominate in Baseball before spouting off about who IA should or should not sweep. IA Baseball is just getting started on the upswing there is a way's to go before declaring this program is a College World Series contender year in and year out.

Yes, anything can happen in college baseball. And MTSU was a quality opponent. Nobody was predicting before the series started that Iowa would sweep. Even Heller would have been happy just winning the series, which Iowa did. So in the broad scheme of things, it was a successful trip. My point was that you don't lose a game where you're up by five in the bottom of the ninth. It doesn't matter if the opponent is AIB or South Carolina.

I have seen it in the pro's, teams get on a roll scoring and it just not stop. I have seen Professional team score 10+ points in one inning, so what if IA had it happen to them, IA does not have the talent of the NY Yankees.

oh by the way IA just lost their 3rd in a row, are you ready to fire Heller now, cruhawk? shit happens deal with it.

Iowa is 10-4 with two games left against HBU, three games vs Kansas, and one vs Bradley before B1G play. At this point, if Iowa can go 3-3 in those I would be ok with a 13-7 record headed to B1G play. Not thrilled, but OK. Ideally I'd like Iowa to go 4-2 in that stretch. However, our offensive woes come as a surprise due to the way we hit last year.

I'd like to see Schenck-Joblinske get into the lineup full time somewhere for a series either at DH or LF if we continue to play Day at SS and Goodman at 3rd. I don't think Sean Moore is the answer as a full time hitter in the lineup.

slight correction IA has lost 3straight to D1 schools as the win against AIB was a D11 school, where can I look up info on each player or even a site that covers Baseball recruiting. already looked for and have not found any, hoping that somebody that follows Baseball more than I do, can help.

Perfect game is a good baseball website and I think you will see D1Baseball on the upswing as well. Also warren nolan is a good website for up to date records, rpi, sos, scores, etc...

Originally posted by Hawk12345:

Originally posted by whatsup12579er:

I don't for one minute believe that the Register chooses to print the scores for Loras, Luther, and Coe, but then deliberately omits the scores of the Iowa team. My guess is that Iowa's athletic department doesn't provide that information to the Register in a timely manner.

Reporters are lazy like anyone else. If you make their job easy by providing them with story ideas, they will use them. My daughters played non-football/basketball sports in the Des Moines area. I once asked a Register reporter why they never covered any of these "other" sports. I was told that they would write about these sports if they had the information. So, after that, before the two or three biggest meets/games of the year, I would send a note to the Register explaining what they should cover and why. Every single time that I did this, the Register wrote a story. I can't believe that if the athletic department at Iowa is providing the Register with story ideas about the baseball team, that the Register is going to blow off every single one of these story ideas month after month. My guess is that the athletic department is not doing anything to promote the baseball team and other non-revenue sports on a statewide basis.
This. Spot on. It is up to the sports information dept. to get the boxscore to the DMR after every game. If someone from the sports info office is not traveling with the team, the office needs to make arrangements to get the information timely after the game, either from the other school or from one of the coaches.

IA won today giving them a 2-2 split, and making them 12-4 on the season, 1-0 at home, 4-3 on the road and 7-1 on a neutral field, next up is @ Kansas for a 3 game series,

If Iowa makes the tournament this year and makes it to Omaha, I might have to switch an entire week of schedules with people to get to watch the tournament.

IA made it to the BT tourney last year and as I was told it was the 1st time since the 2010 season as Heller in his 1st season guided the Hawks to 30 wins,

Originally posted by Cougar63:
If Iowa makes the tournament this year and makes it to Omaha, I might have to switch an entire week of schedules with people to get to watch the tournament. 

B1G Tournament or CWS? The conference tournament is on Minneapolis this year. I think next year it's back in Omaha.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I have seen it in the pro's, teams get on a roll scoring and it just not stop. I have seen Professional team score 10+ points in one inning, so what if IA had it happen to them, IA does not have the talent of the NY Yankees.

oh by the way IA just lost their 3rd in a row, are you ready to fire Heller now, cruhawk? shit happens deal with it.
Geez calm down dude. You continue to make up comments that other posters never even said then basically argue against the voices in your head.

He said they should have swept because they were up 5 in the 9th and 0-2 on a guy that hit a grand slam. He didn't state that they should bulldoze the field because they didn't sweep them.

If you're going to try to argue baseball, don't use the word points. They score runs not points. You sound like an idiot saying the MLB teams score 10 pts in an inning.

Iowa has not made NCAA postseason play since 1990. Baby steps. Reaching the CWS is not a realistic goal right now.

Originally posted by KcRoyals13:

Iowa has not made NCAA postseason play since 1990. Baby steps. Reaching the CWS is not a realistic goal right now.
But, dammit, I'm tired of being an LSU fan in baseball.

TD Ameritrade is no Rosenblatt, but I enjoy the atmosphere down town differently. Blatt's fries suck though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT