ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Drake’s C Liam Robbins Transferring

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Likely would have been first team MVC next year.

I only bring it up because he’s a) from Davenport and b) a few posts on the Drake message board (yes there is one) indicates a few Iowa writers started following him on twitter.

Not trying to start a rumor. But interesting possibility. I’m a drake fan too and he’d fit in to Iowa’s system quite well IMO.

Likely would have been first team MVC next year.

I only bring it up because he’s a) from Davenport and b) a few posts on the Drake message board (yes there is one) indicates a few Iowa writers started following him on twitter.

Not trying to start a rumor. But interesting possibility. I’m a drake fan too and he’d fit in to Iowa’s system quite well IMO.

See the mods have an article on him. 14ppg last year. With Pemsl gone and frans boys being walk one could have a scholly for him and he would be a good transfer fit for a position of need after next year. Fill in for Garza at C with 2 years of eligibility left. Also i wonder if Pemsl would consider drake. Seem like it would be a good fit.

Reactions: skydog0784
I assume he would have to sit out a year? If so, that could make a lot of sense to sit for a year and work on his jumper and adding more strength, then take over for Garza in 2021.

I assume he would have to sit out a year? If so, that could make a lot of sense.
Yeah he would. And he already went to prep school so he’d be like 23 when he he’d be eligible.

While I’m disappointed for Drake, I’d be pretty giddy if he landed at Iowa. He really developed into a force this year. MVC but still.

Reactions: NI hawk
I haven't seen Robbins play, but sounds like he would be at least a great insurance policy. Can anyone, who has seen him play, describe his game some?

That's interesting. He could be very effective in the B1G based on the few games I watched him play last year. Legit 7'0 footer, good footwork and shot.

Would need to get stronger in his red shirt season and he'd improve so much going against Garza, Nunge, and Josh O. in practice.

This would be a great thing if this materializes IMO.

I haven't seen Robbins play, but sounds like he would be at least a great insurance policy. Can anyone, who has seen him play, describe his game some?
I’ll put it this way. He made about as big of a talent leap as Garza did this year but started way way behind where Garza’s natural talent was. Not a great 3 point shot but he does shoot it. Has really good footwork around the basket. Averaged 3 blocks per game.

He needs to keep working on his body and strength to bang in the B1G but an off year training against Garza would help that.

I’ll put it this way. He made about as big of a talent leap as Garza did this year but started way way behind where Garza’s natural talent was. Not a great 3 point shot but he does shoot it. Has really good footwork around the basket. Averaged 3 blocks per game.

He needs to keep working on his body and strength to bang in the B1G but an off year training against Garza would help that.

To add to this response. He's not a physical player down low but more of a finese player. Some nice footwork and nifty moves down low. He can step out pretty effectively and make the mid-range shot easily. Capable of drilling the 3 ball but needs more consistency.

There are a couple of brief clips on You Tube if you search on "Liam Robbins Drake Basketball" for those interested.

Stormhawk is spot on. Weighed over 300 lbs when Drake recruited him. And he’s right about his improvement. Obviously not a lot of bigs in the Valley, but offensively he’s got a lot of moves.

A couple of more tidbits...

1. Robbins, as well as his entire family, are Iowa Hawk fans (per article by an Iowa beat writer) and a poster on another site with ties to Davenport.

2. That same Iowa beat writer mentions he "wouldn't be surprised in the least" if he transfers to Iowa.

3. Drake message board poster noted that 5 different Iowa beat writers followed / re-tweeted Robbins' tweet within a very short period of it initially being posted.

This may very well have some legs to it...

Last edited:
I did see him play several games this season past.

The kid's a perfect fit for an Iowa offense geared to a Garzilla like low post scorer that adds a good jumper.

Practicing and scrimmaging with Iowa's existing big boys would produce a kind of Luka Light by the start of his first eligible season at Iowa. Not saying as talented as Luka but the offense wouldn't have to change much so there'd be a smaller adjustment to life without Luka, the monster from the Midwest.

This would be an exciting recruit.

Usually when something makes this much sense it ends up happening. We need another center on the roster. He has a decent amount of eligibility left. We just lost a post player.

Nunge is probably a more natural stretch 4. I think Nunge is more skilled too. What a front court that could be together. This would be a huge get, in my humble but also right opinion.

Reactions: skydog0784

I hadn't thought through the red shirt complications when I posted that statement.

My thinking was they both play the same position and need the same floor space. I don't see Nunge as a stretch 4, or really anything other than a true center that can hit some outside shots. Assuming Jack can really come back at full strength I see him as basically Luka's primary reserve.

The team took off after Jack's injury. I'm sure that wasn't lost on the coaches. So, Jack plays next season as Luka's reserve and then Liam arrives and starts, leaving Jack a reserve again. So Jack graduates at the end of next season and takes a grad transfer, since he doesn't have redshirt to burn. Liam is a much better player.

Reactions: IAHawk2011
I hadn't thought through the red shirt complications when I posted that statement.

My thinking was they both play the same position and need the same floor space. I don't see Nunge as a stretch 4, or really anything other than a true center that can hit some outside shots. Assuming Jack can really come back at full strength I see him as basically Luka's primary reserve.

The team took off after Jack's injury. I'm sure that wasn't lost on the coaches. So, Jack plays next season as Luka's reserve and then Liam arrives and starts, leaving Jack a reserve again. So Jack graduates at the end of next season and takes a grad transfer, since he doesn't have redshirt to burn. Liam is a much better player.

“Took off after Jack’s injury”=fake news

I fall in the camp that Nunge hasn’t had a real chance to show his game yet.

I think he’s going to flourish in the role that Kriener played this last year and be a contender to win the starting 5 or 4 spots the following year.

He wasn’t starting as a Frosh & Soph because he’s a nice guy.

The people undervaluing Nunge are going to look a lot like those who said Kriener should transfer to UNI a couple years ago, except in this case, Nunge is much better than Kriener.

Been saying the exact same thing. There were MANY that thought Kreiner was mid major talent. Nunge has more talent than Kreiner (and I loved what Kreiner brought)

Fran had Nunge starting on this year’s team. He hasn’t gotten comfortable playing big minutes yet, but the guy is gonna be good. He should be bulking up so he can play the 5 though. That’s his bet bet at playing pro ball IMO. If he develops, his skill set and measurables have him best projecting as a 5 in the league

If Liam signs with Iowa I could see Jack Nunge transferring.

He's already redshirted, so he would lose a year of eligibility.
According to the Drake posters, Liam’s uncle coaches for the Gophers.

How does Richard Pitino still have that job??? He has been at Minnesota for 7 seasons and has had a winning record in the Big Ten ONCE. His career record in the Big Ten is 48-82, despite coaching in a state that churns out high-level talent year after year.

Liam is going to Minnesota. His uncle is gophers assistant head coach who was promoted today & gophers got crystal ball as they are now the heavy favorite

Fran had Nunge starting on this year’s team. He hasn’t gotten comfortable playing big minutes yet, but the guy is gonna be good. He should be bulking up so he can play the 5 though. That’s his bet bet at playing pro ball IMO. If he develops, his skill set and measurables have him best projecting as a 5 in the league

This

He looked out of sorts at the very beginning of the year but looked pretty good the two games prior to his injury. He was just starting to settle in and figure out his role.

I fall in the camp that Nunge hasn’t had a real chance to show his game yet.

I think he’s going to flourish in the role that Kriener played this last year and be a contender to win the starting 5 or 4 spots the following year.

He wasn’t starting as a Frosh & Soph because he’s a nice guy.
Agree with this, except if healthy for the rest of his career, I believe he will almost certainly be a starter and a key player for Iowa after next year. He still has 2 or even 3 years left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT