ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NBA coaches using '4 point line' to teach on court spacing

paladinhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25559428/the-4-point-line-just-beginning-nba-latest-trend

Interesting article.

Much of the "game-ification" process has centered on the 3-point line, which has been a central driver in the NBA's offensive revolution. With the rise of analytics over the past decade, teams have scrutinized their shot location and encouraged players to take 3-pointers and layups while de-emphasizing contested midrange jump shots.

I don't watch the NBA, but like sports analytics. I guess the "contested" midrange jump shot needs a little better definition, as I think midrange shots are under utilized in college

The analytics show that a jump shot from (in the NBA) 16-20 feet is the worst shot you can take. Make % isn't that much higher than "at the line" 3 pt'ers, but isn't worth as many points. Its getting to the point that even a 26' shot isn't much worse than a 23' shot.

Heck, you're even starting to see it trickle down to HS. I know a lot of coaches now, including really successful ones, that tell their players to shoot 3s or inside the lane. Anything else is to only be taken if wide open. Heck, my son gets yelled at if he passes up open 3s unless it's to drive and get to the basket.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT