ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Why do so many head coaches hold up a "#1" sign with their hands when it's time for the PAT?

MeetTheFerentz

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2006
I mean, 99% of the time it's obvious that the situation calls for a kick of the PAT. Does the entire team really look at the head coach to confirm this. And in the situations when it calls for a 2-Pt conversion, you'd think that the right people on the sidelines would know this already and be planning it well before the TD score.

I don't know. I just see guys like Brian Kelly tonight holding up a #1 after they score a TD and I just think he looks like a dumbass, especially since his team is losing.

I mean, 99% of the time it's obvious that the situation calls for a kick of the PAT. Does the entire team really look at the head coach to confirm this. And in the situations when it calls for a 2-Pt conversion, you'd think that the right people on the sidelines would know this already and be planning it well before the TD score.

I don't know. I just see guys like Brian Kelly tonight holding up a #1 after they score a TD and I just think he looks like a dumbass, especially since his team is losing.
Well the numbers say go for 2 when your down 14.

LOL. He must have held up a #2 during that punt return attempt to signal to Nabers to muff his second one of the night. Sun must have been in his eyes during this indoor night game.

• Haha
Reactions: IAGuy

All coaches do this. Either HC or special teams coach. No time to waste. All players on field must know immediately if they need to stay on for 2 or some go off for 1 and players groups on sideline must know also before any movement.

All coaches do this. Either HC or special teams coach. No time to waste. All players on field must know immediately if they need to stay on for 2 or some go off for 1 and players groups on sideline must know also before any movement.
I guess I've never noticed an entire team snapping their heads trying to find the coach holding up fingers after every score. They must do something different in the NFL because I swore I've never seen a coach do it there. Even if what you say is true, then it must be the "look at me" HC's who choose to do it (making some post-score gesture while all the cameras are on him) and the more reserved ones who assign it to the ST coach.

Reactions: fivec61
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT