ADVERTISEMENT

Otto Black commits to Iowa

Says the biggest troll of all……
And longest-winded.

Welcome to Iowa, Otto and family! Iowa City is a great place, Iowa is a great university, and we have the most loyal, most exuberant, and biggest fan base in college wrestling. More than a team, it's a legacy and a regional culture. On my office wall is a poster with a b&w photo of an Iowa wrestling meet from 1911.

As for this board, sometimes it's the wild west around here, with no sheriff in sight. Just disregard the jerks. We all wish your son luck, but great wrestlers make their own luck, and your son will too.

Thank you brother…

Not entirely sure how everything is going to play out…

This was never the plan, so, we are kinda playing it by ear right now…

as it stands now, Otto will move to Iowa after worlds in September (counting chickens and all that but that’s how we do things) and train while taking online classes at kirkwood (grades were never a thing… only medals) and train while adjusting and officially enroll in fall of 25…

he is still just 18… if he was in PA with their cracked rules he would still be a sophomore in HS…
that age may qualify him for the 9th grade in the Parochial school wrestling world in Pennsylvania. God works in mysterious ways !

A true troll is only here to troll and would never admit it. I am here for Iowa info, but I OPENLY admit I do my best to troll PSU guys as much as possible.

When it comes to actual Iowa fans, especially you, I am never trolling. I simply think you are bat shit crazy! :)
It’s not me living in an alternative reality where up is down and sedition isn’t frowned upon.

And longest-winded.

Welcome to Iowa, Otto and family! Iowa City is a great place, Iowa is a great university, and we have the most loyal, most exuberant, and biggest fan base in college wrestling. More than a team, it's a legacy and a regional culture. On my office wall is a poster with a b&w photo of an Iowa wrestling meet from 1911.

As for this board, sometimes it's the wild west around here, with no sheriff in sight. Just disregard the jerks. We all wish your son luck, but great wrestlers make their own luck, and your son will too.
Come on, now! Have you not read any of IronBird's posts? I am actually rather "short" winded in comparison! :)

• Haha
Reactions: anon_4lz6x5o7izepf
We understand what he is walking into…

He has spent the last several years in obscurity because of how this country is scared of Greco…

No media coverage because no one understands it and if they tried to talk about it they would show how little they actually know…

been training with senior level athletes who struggle just to live because of no support…

Wins a state title in front of 13K fans…

He wants to wrestle home duals in front of 17K fans…

Get the support of Hawkeye nation and change the narrative…

That’s the goal…

It’s not me living in an alternative reality where up is down and sedition isn’t frowned upon.
WIth the amount of drugs you have done, are you sure you are the one to tell anyone which way is up or down? ;)

• Wow
Reactions: vhsalum
Come on, now! Have you not read any of IronBird's posts? I am actually rather "short" winded in comparison! :)
Unfair comparison:
1. That's may be the shortest post that you've ever had.
2. Comparisons to I-bird are like comparing my bank account to Elon Musk's. I-bird is in a different category, and I'm certain that you don't want to be in that category.
3. I-birds seeming lack of self-awareness can't begin to compare to any other human on this board.

Unfair comparison:
2. Comparisons to I-bird are like comparing my bank account to Elon Musk's. I-bird is in a different category, and I'm certain that you don't want to be in that category.
3. I-birds seeming lack of self-awareness can't begin to compare to any other human on this board.
1. Not true, but I definitely agree that some can be rather "in-depth" :)
2. I was simply pointing out that I, in fact, was far from being the longest-winded on here.
3. I think part of it is a "schtick" mixed in with how rabid of an Iowa fan he is. If you watch closely, he will sometimes break character and post something completely coherent and meaningful...

We understand what he is walking into…

He has spent the last several years in obscurity because of how this country is scared of Greco…

No media coverage because no one understands it and if they tried to talk about it they would show how little they actually know…

been training with senior level athletes who struggle just to live because of no support…

Wins a state title in front of 13K fans…

He wants to wrestle home duals in front of 17K fans…

Get the support of Hawkeye nation and change the narrative…

That’s the goal…

The lack of leadership in Greco is absolutely appalling. The support of the leadership that was in place is even worse. I definitely have my issues with Gutches in particular, but eh.

Still can't believe we lost Ivanov after promising him what he asked for.

Reactions: eb05 and LJB1973
The lack of leadership in Greco is absolutely appalling. The support of the leadership that was in place is even worse. I definitely have my issues with Gutches in particular, but eh.

Still can't believe we lost Ivanov after promising him what he asked for.
Don’t even get me started…

It is embarrassing how this country treats the most popular world wide, toughest, most competitive style of wrestling on this planet..

Thank you brother…

he is still just 18… if he was in PA with their cracked rules he would still be a sophomore in HS…
Look, if you think you think you can walk in here and win us over by making a few backhanded comments about PA and PSU...well, that's where you're right!

Welcome aboard! I'm curious to see how this unique situation works out.

Reactions: cjr1310 and LJB1973
Ha…

I don’t hate PSU…

One of my favorite families in this country has a kid who is going hurt a lot of feelings in their singlet…

But…

Our people are in Iowa…

This gonna be lots of fun…

best thread ever, hope this kid likes to wrestle because if he indeed is really good.he's gonna be doing alot of it.

Reactions: LJB1973
If memory serves me right we had Warner and Moody do very well on the Greco scene and A few other team members were also pretty solid in Greco so He may have some good Greco guys to work with ...although they are all bigger than him but as far as technique and getting some solid tips and information from experience these guys should be helpful.

Unfair comparison:
I-bird is easily the worst. And an idiot.

If memory serves me right we had Warner and Moody do very well on the Greco scene and A few other team members were also pretty solid in Greco so He may have some good Greco guys to work with ...although they are all bigger than him but as far as technique and getting some solid tips and information from experience these guys should be helpful.
In all honesty, I would like to see some of our guys who are a little bit down on the freestyle ladder give greco a go. I know it may take some time to adapt but Warner and Cass could be competitive in Greco and really have a chance at a world team or making the national team. I always thought Sammy Brooks could have been good at Greco. Maybe Otto will start a new trend! I loved Greco. Was on team Iowa's national dual team and fargo team all through HS.

I have always thought they should have the Greco world team trials after freestyle to try and get some of those guys to compete in Greco.

In all honesty, I would like to see some of our guys who are a little bit down on the freestyle ladder give greco a go. I know it may take some time to adapt but Warner and Cass could be competitive in Greco and really have a chance at a world team or making the national team. I always thought Sammy Brooks could have been good at Greco. Maybe Otto will start a new trend! I loved Greco. Was on team Iowa's national dual team and fargo team all through HS.

I have always thought they should have the Greco world team trials after freestyle to try and get some of those guys to compete in Greco.
Greco needs greco guys.

We won a world title in 2007 for shitz sake. The key really is NMU. We don't need FS just "switching over." We need better coaching and leadership - period. We have the athletes and we have the feeder system.

There are A LOT of kids like Otto - that just love greco and have committed to doing it from a young age and get international experience. It will never be as much as FS simply because RTCs/college education will always veer that direction.

But we've done it before. And I'll keep banging this drum until i die - but the power struggle the OTC and NMU had with Ivan was the stupidest thing I've seen a sports organization do. Egos that literally destroyed a championship program.

I did not think Otto would wrestle college folkstyle, wasn't even on my radar. I know the dad, and they all LOVE greco. This totally caught me off guard. Happily shocked, I should say.
how well does greco translate to folkstyle? I don't know. Seems like any greco guy would be learning a somewhat new way to wrestle but again i don't know.

As far as guys dipping their toes into Greco…

There is not one free guy who could just stroll in and make a senior world team in this country…

Heavies not withstanding…

It would take them a considerable amount of time to even be competitive in this country much less internationally…

Greco needs greco guys.

We won a world title in 2007 for shitz sake. The key really is NMU. We don't need FS just "switching over." We need better coaching and leadership - period. We have the athletes and we have the feeder system.

There are A LOT of kids like Otto - that just love greco and have committed to doing it from a young age and get international experience. It will never be as much as FS simply because RTCs/college education will always veer that direction.

But we've done it before. And I'll keep banging this drum until i die - but the power struggle the OTC and NMU had with Ivan was the stupidest thing I've seen a sports organization do. Egos that literally destroyed a championship program.
Otto’s older brother wrestles for NMU…

Otto would have had to beat me up if he wanted to go there…

It has been great for max for reasons other than wrestling and he is improving every year…

But…

They just have no funding…

They don’t help financially at all…

They don’t even have medical for their athletes…

Max has not had his coach in his corner for the last 2 world championships…

And if I’m being totally honest, I am not a fan of how they train…

As far as the Ivanov situation…

I like what the dude shows when he actually shows something, but, he used the OTC as a commercial for his business…

none of the athletes were happy with his tenure…

His camps were pretty much worthless and athletes were leaving right and left in the middle of them…

WCAP straight up pulled their guys the first camp and would not come back…

And I was super excited when he was given the reigns…

But it was a disaster from day one…

Otto and LB4 use their Greco to great effect in folk…

Most every leg grabber in this country is terrified of upper body positions…

Have no clue how to deal with a real underhook…

Hooks are the most under utilized position in this country…

Think Iran free… they push everyone all over the mat…

Plus…

Non-Greco guys have a hard time dealing with the pace…

None of this trying to be cute bouncing around the outside trying to be John smith…

High level Greco is brutal…

Plus…

The amount of space available to work technique in high level Greco is millimeters…

in folk that space is measured in feet…

Edited to add-

have no clue what is up with this bbs, but, 99% of time I can not post…

Insufficient privilege error…

Had it for a month… all day today… and just now as well…

Able to edit…

So, if anyone has a clue what the hell is going on with that please don’t hold your tongue…

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkFan1986
If I ever talk about a wife again I give every poster here permission to kick me square in the groin…

I tried it once with satan…

Never again my friend…
I'm sorry to hear that, but allow me to explain further.

If there is no wife and you so happen to mention a girlfriend or a friend of your girlfriend's or even your sister, then pics are still required.

I didn't make these rules! But I am obligated to enforce them. We're civilized irrational fans, so we still have requirements to meet, of course.

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT