ADVERTISEMENT

Ott's Injury On Ferentz?

iowalaw

All-Conference
Jan 20, 2015
Scottsdale
I'm a little surprised that it hasn't been discussed on this board even at all. Isn't there a single hawk fan out there objective enough to wonder if it made any sense at all to have our all American defensive end...and perhaps our most important defensive player, on the field on special teams punt team, where he ultimately tore his ACL? I mean seriously. Ott's career and the remainder of our season is in jeopardy in part because coach Ferentz didn't think through the pros and cons of putting our star player out there on plays where it made absolutely no difference if it was Ott on the field or Steve Ferentz on the field. There was no purpose for him being out there. There was no QB to sack. While we're at it, why don't we but CJB on the extra point block team?

Personally, I find the personnel move a boneheaded decision that cost our team dearly.

You must not have played football growing up. You put the best people on the field. My HS team lost 3 games my SR year due to special teams, yes I know HS and college is different. The coach didn't want to risk any starter getting injured on special teams so put back ups in on that and it directly lost us 3 games.

Reactions: Hawknado
You're right, absolutely no reason for it. Moron.
adrian_clayborn_2009_09_26.jpg

I'm a little surprised that it hasn't been discussed on this board even at all. Isn't there a single hawk fan out there objective enough to wonder if it made any sense at all to have our all American defensive end...and perhaps our most important defensive player, on the field on special teams punt team, where he ultimately tore his ACL? I mean seriously. Ott's career and the remainder of our season is in jeopardy in part because coach Ferentz didn't think through the pros and cons of putting our star player out there on plays where it made absolutely no difference if it was Ott on the field or Steve Ferentz on the field. There was no purpose for him being out there. There was no QB to sack. While we're at it, why don't we but CJB on the extra point block team?

Personally, I find the personnel move a boneheaded decision that cost our team dearly.
Obvious troll ... trolls obviously!

You're right, absolutely no reason for it. Moron.
adrian_clayborn_2009_09_26.jpg

Yep KF has always had his best DE's in the game on punt coverage. Sadly isn't that what hurt Clayborn against Wisky?? I think it was a FG attempt and he got clipped by the wisky OL.

You could see it lately that he subbed a lot on special teams and that's what caused us to mess up and lose that battle of the game.

Yep KF has always had his best DE's in the game on punt coverage. Sadly isn't that what hurt Clayborn against Wisky?? I think it was a FG attempt and he got clipped by the wisky OL.

You could see it lately that he subbed a lot on special teams and that's what caused us to mess up and lose that battle of the game.

He didn't just get clipped by the Wisky player - that guy dived at his knees on purpose if I am recalling the play correctly.

Almost every team leaves in the bulk of their starting defense for punt return. Not only is it safer to not have to deal with all the subs, but what if a team comes out in punt formation, we put in a bunch of back-ups, and then that team audibles into a regular formation to try and run the ball at a bunch of backup TE's.

Reactions: milehighhawkeye24
I got no problem with our best players playing special teams. Too many people whined last year because we did not try returning punts with our stud players, and people whined when we were burned on special teams because we did not have our best players in there, so its a no win situation with some Iowa fans.............Agreed, moronic post.

Reactions: milehighhawkeye24

You are reaching for anything to pin on KF....so stupid

Shhh...! don't cross the street, you may get hit by a car

I want my best players and playmakers in the field ALL the time..! Period A player can get hurt at anytime on any play without any contact what so ever

So your name - your post sounds like it's from an ambulance chaser

Richard Sherman makes 20 million a year and he plays special teams. Maybe you should tell Carroll how stupid he is.

You just want to bitch AGAIN because your Cyclones suck AGAIN.

There isn't one team in America that doesn't play starters on special teams.

Didn't Ott block a punt for a touchdown last year? Were you bitching then? 6-0 and you are pissed. WHAT A SHOCKER!

Reactions: the24fan
Can't blame that one on the coach. He could have hurt himself the same way in non-contact drills in August. Now an instance you could blame a coach for an injury was last night in the Stanford-UCLA game. David Shaw still had starters in, up 56-28 in the 4th quarter. For me, that is crazy. Luckily, nobody got hurt.

Richard Sherman makes 20 million a year and he plays special teams. Maybe you should tell Carroll how stupid he is.

You just want to bitch AGAIN because your Cyclones suck AGAIN.

There isn't one team in America that doesn't play starters on special teams.

Didn't Ott block a punt for a touchdown last year? Were you bitching then? 6-0 and you are pissed. WHAT A SHOCKER!
No kidding. I'm trying to remember if people were complaining about Tim Dwight and Bob Sanders as gunners on punt coverage. Or when Greenway lobbied to play any Special Team he could get on. Our best teams have always had great special teams, with starters on them. Last years special teams sucked and literally cost us games. This years special teams are vastly improved, with starters on them. And we are 6-0. Rocket science, I know.

And you would be on here trolling and trying to stir the pot if Illinois had scored on special teams because KF was not playing his best players. We've all seen enough of your posts to know what kind of "hawk fan" you are. Please spend more time on the Clone boards.

You need a new hobby.

Reactions: the24fan and nu2u
Thank God Tim Dwight only lined up at WR.....
So glad Bob Sanders wasn't a gunner on punts...
Micah Hyde was spared a career ending injury by only playing corner...

Our special teams sucked for a while. Ferentz got ripped for it, he decided enough is enough and left alot of starters out there. Just like he did we Greenway, Clayborn ,etc

Are you equally upset Hayden Fry had Tim Dwight return kickoffs?

Now go sit in the corner with the dunce cap on.

Better not play Canzeri at all tomorrow. Just in case.

He is the starter and pretty important part of the offense, after all.:D

Better bench him, just in case.

I remember a 2010 Arizona game where they took the kickoff 100 yards for a TD against our 2nd/3rd stringers. I wish we had our studs in on that play, we lost by a TD.

The ignorance of many hawk fans who cannot bare to question a coach is mind boggling. No one is comparing playing a star defensive end on the punt and punt return teams with having a speedster playmaker return punts. Bafoons. Of course you want your speedsters like Dwight or King returning punts...they actually make a play and aren't out there just to block and be in the scrum, a feat anyone could do. Ott was not in there to block any kicks.

The ignorance of many hawk fans who cannot bare to question a coach is mind boggling. No one is comparing playing a star defensive end on the punt and punt return teams with having a speedster playmaker return punts. Bafoons. Of course you want your speedsters like Dwight or King returning punts...they actually make a play and aren't out there just to block and be in the scrum, a feat anyone could do. Ott was not in there to block any kicks.
Soooooooooooo even after being proven wrong countless times you decide it is a good idea to continue to play the I'm a complete idiot card.......

The ignorance of many hawk fans who cannot bare to question a coach is mind boggling

In the case of Kirk Ferentz, that has never been a problem around here.

As has already been pointed out, Ott's ACL injury was non-contact - it could have happened during a normal scrimmage play or even pre-game warm-ups. There is no relation whatsoever in the manner in which his injury occurred and the play where it occurred.

Ferentz's best teams have had good/great special teams
Those teams usually had starters on special teams
Our special teams is better this year than the last few because we have starters in there

Absolutely no problem with having him in there.

agree completely with you.

obviously, the original poster is desperately trying to stir things up

here we are 6-0 and KF still gets attacked? crazy....

The OP is clearly clueless about football. Ignore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT