ADVERTISEMENT

Outflanked by liberals, Oregon conservatives aim to become part of Idaho

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Good luck with that!:

The Snake River has formed the border of Oregon and Idaho for more than a century and a half, slicing through fields of onions, sugar beets and wheat that roll out for miles through Treasure Valley.
Here on the Oregon side, where Bob Wheatley has lived his entire life, are a collection of high-end cannabis shops, a new Planned Parenthood clinic, and gas prices a dollar higher than those just over the river.

Across the river in the town of Fruitland, in western Idaho, new housing subdivisions stretch out for miles from the main streets. Agriculture, bottling and construction businesses that just months ago were based in Oregon are thriving. One of Fruitland’s new problems is building enough schools to accommodate the out-of-state arrivals, many of them from Oregon.
“Things have changed,” said Wheatley, who retired recently after five decades as a local pharmacist. “And it’s the politics that have changed fastest.”

Bob Wheatley, a supporter of the Greater Idaho Movement, at his home office in Ontario, Ore. (Joseph Haeberle for The Washington Post)
These twin towns across an old border straddle a seam in the nation’s deepening political polarization, neighboring opposites living under starkly different laws. The river separates states that, perhaps more than in any other part of the nation, embrace the two parties’ most extreme positions on gun control, abortion rights, environmental regulation, drug legalization and other issues at the center of the American political debate.
The result in eastern Oregon, from the volcanic Cascade Range to this border town, is a sense of profound political alienation. The disaffection among conservatives has spawned a movement to change the state’s political dynamic in a novel if quixotic way — rather than relocate or change the politics, which seems impossible to many here, why not move the border and become residents who live under the rules of Idaho?
This is no small task.
Both the Oregon and Idaho state legislatures, which are controlled by Democrats and Republicans respectively, would have to approve a border shift, which in this case would be the most significant geographically since western states began forming in the mid-19th century. The issue would then go to the U.S. Congress.
But, as more than two dozen interviews across the state made clear, there is momentum behind the cause among a lightly populated region of ranch land, swift rivers, and vast pine forests. It is known formally as the Greater Idaho movement.

So far 12 counties in central and eastern Oregon have voted in favor of local ballot measures that compel county leaders to study the idea of moving the border about 270 miles west. The movement envisions 14 full counties joining Idaho, along with parts of others.
A 13th county is scheduled to take up the question on the May 2024 ballot. The region accounts for less than 10 percent of Oregon’s population, but most of its territory.
The push to change the border is rooted in policy differences and a sense that, in Oregon, there will be no way for conservatives to influence the laws and regulations made by the elected representatives of the far more numerous Democratic voters who live on the western side of the Cascades.
Idaho offers a much more comfortable political home for eastern Oregon’s conservatives, who live in many of the most racially homogenous counties in the state. In nearly every county that has voted to explore joining Idaho, White residents account for more than 80 percent of the population.
The political contrast between the states is stark.
Oregon Democrats have a more than 30 percent edge in voter registration over Republicans, and Joe Biden won the state by 16 percentage points in 2020. Idaho offers a mirror image: Republican voters outnumber Democrats more than 5 to 1, and Donald Trump defeated Biden by 30 percentage points. Both states have sent two senators from the same party to Washington — Democrats in Oregon, Republicans in Idaho.
At 74, Wheatley has been considering a move across the river for years, returning his wife, Chrystine, a retired nurse, to the state where she grew up. But he could not sell his home for enough money to buy something comparable in Fruitland, where prices are rising because of the Oregon arrivals.
So, in late 2020, Wheatley, never before a political activist, volunteered to gather signatures to place a measure on the May 2021 ballot compelling Malheur County commissioners to study joining Idaho. It passed easily.
“I told Chrys, ‘I can’t move you, but maybe I can move the border,’” Wheatley said. “So that’s what we’re trying.”

A sense of alienation​

In many parts of the country, the divide between red and blue has prompted a re-sorting in which moving states has seemed simpler to tens of thousands of people than changing the party in charge.
The Greater Idaho movement may be among the most extreme versions of this trend. But deep-blue California is also experiencing pockets of red resistance to dominant Democratic rule.
El Dorado County, which bumps up against the southern tip of Lake Tahoe and the Nevada border, has been the venue recently for boisterous town hall meetings over whether to secede. Last year, San Bernardino County supervisors voted to study creating its own state. A movement to carve out a new “state of Jefferson” from parts of northeastern California has been simmering for more than a half century.
Here in Oregon the divide is geographic and political.

Nearly 9 in 10 Oregonians live west of the Cascades along the Interstate 5 corridor, namely in the cities of Portland, Eugene and Salem, the capital. But the western region accounts for a small fraction of the land, which unfolds east from the Cascades in expanses of sere high desert, lush pasture and thick forest.
Four state senators represent the east — less than a fifth of the chamber’s total — and earlier this year they were part of a six-week walkout to protest the terms of abortion rights and gun-control legislation. It was the longest such boycott in state history.
“There’s just a pervasive sense that the values that the western side of the state holds are being imposed, in a kind of oppression, on the east,” said Nicole Howard, a professor of history at Eastern Oregon University in the city of La Grande. “And the belief held out here is that either they don’t get us or they don’t care.”
Howard, who moved from California’s Bay Area more than a decade ago, said the term “rural” is often cited by eastern Oregon separatists as a way to contrast their beliefs with those who live in the western cities. Her school sought and received the designation as “Oregon’s rural university” to underscore its more conservative leanings.
“There’s a dog whistle in the term, too,” Howard said. “It is conservative versus liberal, but the issue of race is also baked into it. It gets to the idea of ‘rural’ as a stand-in for deep cultural touchstones.”

I wish them the best of luck. How would maps redraw with Electoral votes if this did somehow come to pass?

It’s not going to happen. Idaho would have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to oregon

Guess what not everyone gets to just join another state because the politics of their state don't match the politics of their particular locality.

For the most part I along with probably the majority of people in my county would probably like for St Joesph County to join Michigan. But guess what, that's not how this works.

It’s not going to happen. Idaho would have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to oregon
The Eastern side of Oregon is poor and is a drain on the state. It's the same in Washington. The east side of the state is poor. For what ever reason they think it's a good idea to redraw the borders into an equally poor state.

Reactions: Ree4
Guess what not everyone gets to just join another state because the politics of their state don't match the politics of their particular locality.

For the most part I along with probably the majority of people in my county would probably like for St Joesph County to join Michigan. But guess what, that's not how this works.
Outside of politics, there is definitely a disconnect once you cross the cascades. Outside of Bend and maybe Redmond, people in the valley don’t really go farther east than Mt Bachelor. The cultures are pretty different.

Outside of politics, there is definitely a disconnect once you cross the cascades. Outside of Bend and maybe Redmond, people in the valley don’t really go farther east than Mt Bachelor. The cultures are pretty different.

Our states are often as big as many countries, so that's not entirely uncommon.

People in my part of the state don't even speak with the same accent as people in southern parts of Indiana.

Reactions: goldmom
The problem is as Boises population balloons Idaho is becoming bluer.
Same with Montana as Bozeman, etc. expand. California is exporting its politics too lol

Napoleon Dynamite Reaction GIF

They don’t just get to take Oregon’s property. Any state land, buildings, and infrastructure will have to be paid for. The state of Oregon owns these things, not the snowflakes of eastern Oregon.
ok, state land/buildings, i get the point as to those, though i wonder a bit about whether interstate border issues are actually best thought of as simple real estate transactions.

ok, state land/buildings, i get the point as to those, though i wonder a bit about whether interstate border issues are actually best thought of as simple real estate transactions.
It’s not as simple as a real estate transaction there’s a whole hell of a mess to deal with but just figuring out how much Idaho would owe Oregon is going to be a massive hurdle in and of itself.

Reactions: cigaretteman
No one is talking about the west side. We're talking about eastern Oregon. Already funded by the taxpayers that reside there. They belong to the taxpayer.
That’s not how it works. The taxes go into a big pool and state pays for these things. Idaho would have to buy them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT