ADVERTISEMENT

Over 230 economists warn Manchin's spending bill will perpetuate inflation

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007

Over 230 economists warn Manchin's spending bill will perpetuate inflation​

Economic experts claim that Manchin's Inflation Reduction Act will actually make inflation worse​

A few of the notable signers include Nobel laureate Vernon Smith, former Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers Kevin Hassett, former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Jim Miller and Robert Heller, former president of the Federal Reserve Board 1986-1989.

In addition, professors from the University of Chicago, Princeton University, Duke University, the University of Virginia, Columbia University and the University of Notre Dame, among others, were listed on the letter dated Aug. 3.

The experts conclude that although they agree with an "urgent" need to address inflation, Manchin's bill is a "misleading label" applied to legislation that would achieve the "opposite effect."

Economic experts claim that Manchin's Inflation Reduction Act will actually make inflation worse​

A few of the notable signers include Nobel laureate Vernon Smith, former Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers Kevin Hassett, former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Jim Miller and Robert Heller, former president of the Federal Reserve Board 1986-1989.

In addition, professors from the University of Chicago, Princeton University, Duke University, the University of Virginia, Columbia University and the University of Notre Dame, among others, were listed on the letter dated Aug. 3.

The experts conclude that although they agree with an "urgent" need to address inflation, Manchin's bill is a "misleading label" applied to legislation that would achieve the "opposite effect."

Why is this being called manchins bill?

I always love these. 230 Economists?

That would be 1.48% of the estimated 15,640 economists in the US.

That doesn't mean others don't agree.

That is true.

It just is always funny to me when any side of any position goes and gets a tiny percentage of "experts" to sign a letter and then the news acts like it means everything.

I'm certainly not qualified enough in economics to just call 230 economists wrong, but I do find it convenient that the two things the Republicans hate most with this bill, the corporate tax hike and being able to negotiate drug prices, are the two things they select out to "raise inflation". The article didn't really explain why this would happen beyond "supply chain strain". Guess I'll wait for more information to come out on this and even then I'm not sure I will care much given everything else this bill does.

Reactions: billanole
I don't want to hear one of you f***ers who were attacking Dick Cheney for everything under the sun for eight straight years saying one good word about him on this.

I don't want to hear one of you f***ers who were attacking Dick Cheney for everything under the sun for eight straight years saying one good word about him on this.

Darth Cheney one the founders of PNAC is not a good person. What do you call it when a bully (Trump) gets his ass kicked by a 200 year old frail man? I call it funny.

Reactions: franklinman
Darth Cheney one the founders of PNAC is not a good person. What do you call it when a bully (Trump) gets his ass kicked by a 200 year old frail man? I call it funny.

Trump was a freshman when Joe was a sophomore.

Not a big age diff, there.

no problem on that front
Bro, you know that is right. The only positive thing I’ll say about him is he votes with Dems 90% of the time and is a Democrat elected in West Virginia.

That’s about as good as the Dems can get from that Senate seat. Ultimately it’s up to the people, so people like Manchin aren’t the deciding vote and hold so much power.

You seem emotional…interesting

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT