ADVERTISEMENT

Overheard something interesting from football players today

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Originally posted by theIowaHawk:
Great, so now our society is actually encouraging people to eavesdrop on others' conversations....and immediately post them publicly?

All in the name of sports?

This is pathetic.
Is it the immediately part that upsets you? Because the general theme of your rant is people eavesdropping on conversations and repeating them in public, which has been happening far longer than sports message boards. Go ahead and stop into your local gas station/fast food restaurant and sit next to the farmers drinking their morning coffee then get back to me.
No, allow me to clarify. It is the widespread, public nature of it all. What you are describing is/has been pervasive for a long time. One of the reasons many people cite for leaving small towns. Now it happens publicly on a scale never before seen.

And, really what you are describing is a friend telling a friend telling a friend telling a relative and so on, which is why it is pervasive in small communities, where everyone knows each other. Now it is happening to complete strangers, basically anyone who will listen.

It would be much more akin to one of those farmers leaving the diner (where he knows everyone), driving down to the nearest truck stop and spray painting it in large letters on the side of a barn.

Great, so now our society is actually encouraging people to eavesdrop on others' conversations....and immediately post them publicly?

This is pathetic.

You're posting on an Internet message board, home slice. That's exactly what sites like this are built on.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by 2bagger22:

This is pathetic.

You're posting on an Internet message board, home slice. That's exactly what sites like this are built on.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
But, really, it isn't. Kakert is a "journalist", he doesn't simply eavesdrop and spew information.

Even ignoring that, the vast, vast, vast majority of posts are not from eavesdropping or "overhearing" players/coaches whatever. I do agree that a lot of the rumors fall into this category, but not like what I am complaining about.

This, specifically, is covertly recording the conversations of student-athletes, all to glorify it to the public.

How about this, will the OP post his name so that the players could return the favor the next time he does something dumb in class?

Nice apples and oranges analogy there. First of all I don't see how it's technically eavesdropping when they are talking about it out loud within earshot in a public place, especially a classroom. Secondly, he never mentioned the players by name so your analogy is stupid.

Comparing Kakert to typical forum posters is also absurd. One is a journalist running a site while the latter are typical fans using a forum for casual sports conversation. Next thing you'll be demanding footnotes.

This post was edited on 1/29 7:48 PM by CP84 2.0

ROFLMAO
Originally posted by Eyeowahawks:

Originally posted by Rocket98:
Disliked Wadley? Started him in the Bowl game? Gave him plenty of opportunities for a freshman?? Pretty sure he doesn't dislike him. His comments have been very favorable about him other than his fumbling issues. JR is liked by most, but like all players I'm sure he's seen as otherwise. Some of it might have to do that JR is seen by some as a "goody to shoe". Captains at Iowa have had a history of being the most dedicated weight room guys. QB's don't always fit that mold. My 4 guys would be:

Ott and Blythe are locks. Duzey, Smith, Lomax, Meier, Perry, Canzeri, and JR are all in the mix. My wildcard would be Adam Cox.
Oh my lordy! That's one of the better ones I've seen on this site! Not as good as "want of bees" or "be on me," but still good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT