ADVERTISEMENT

Party Potatoes

My Daughter in Law made them for Christmas dinner yesterday. Her family are North Dakota/Minnesota/Iowa peeps and so they’re a big deal for them. I must say they were totally awesome. Went well with my standing rib roast AND my glazed ham.
I’m now a fan.
Basically cheesy hash browns with some other stuff, right?

Reactions: goldmom
Basically cheesy hash browns with some other stuff, right?
Wait a second now, have I been worshiping a false idol? My in-laws make “party potatoes” but they are more like mashed potatoes with copious amounts of butter and sour cream mixed in. My in-laws have another dish called cheesy potatoes, which are equally delicious but distinct. Iowans clear this up for me. Thanks!

Wait a second now, have I been worshiping a false idol? My in-laws make “party potatoes” but they are more like mashed potatoes with copious amounts of butter and sour cream mixed in. My in-laws have another dish called cheesy potatoes, which are equally delicious but distinct. Iowans clear this up for me. Thanks!
I will clear up any confusion you may have.

Take any kind of potato. Add butter, cheese, and any other ingredient you like and call it whatever you like.

The Potato Police have limited resources.

This is what party potatoes look like in my world.

funeral-potatoes-cheesy-potato-casserole-squared-1.jpg

cheesy-potatoes-2.png

I was born in Omaha which is why I think I'm not totally sure which party potatoes are the party potatoes. My own mother prefers to work hard at feasts and opts for twice baked so we don't have a family party potatoes recipe

Reactions: Tenacious E
My Daughter in Law made them for Christmas dinner yesterday. Her family are North Dakota/Minnesota/Iowa peeps and so they’re a big deal for them. I must say they were totally awesome. Went well with my standing rib roast AND my glazed ham.
I’m now a fan.
I have some heavy whipping cream if your party potatoes get dry.

I
have heard both get called party potatoes. We call them cheesy hash browns or cheesy potatoes when clarification is needed. Loaded mash potatoes were called party potatoes at the local restaurant when they catered an event….

Reactions: Tenacious E
Da fuq is wrong with you? You broken?
I am not a native Iowan. My introduction to party potatoes was with my inlaws consisting of generations of native Iowans. Their party potatoes look like this, with just enough butter so that it looks like it wants to pool on the surface, but it does not:

Mashed-Potatoes-f4.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT