ADVERTISEMENT

Party Potatoes

As an offering of peace and good will, I present you with a pic of a delicious delicacy:
tatertotcasseroleimage-5.jpg
Tater-tot hotdish.

Back up boys, I’m going in raw.

I am not a native Iowan. My introduction to party potatoes was with my inlaws consisting of generations of native Iowans. Their party potatoes look like this, with just enough butter so that it looks like it wants to pool on the surface, but it does not:

Mashed-Potatoes-f4.jpg
That is a bowl of mashed potatoes, looks like with chives added.

These are cheesy/party potatoes:

DSC_0828_thumb.jpg

Those are cheesy potatoes. If they were party potatoes then cheesy potatoes would be redundant.
Please do a Google Image Search of Midwest Party Potatoes.

Here is a screencap of mine:

Party-Potatoes.jpg

It is time for you to come to the realization your family has either been lying to you or is stupid. Probably both.

Please do a Google Image Search of Midwest Party Potatoes.

Here is a screencap of mine:

Party-Potatoes.jpg

It is time for you to come to the realization your family has either been lying to you or are stupid. Probably both.
Just keep swallowing the blue pill.

I am just trying to spare you future embarrassment. You would be well-advised to take my advice and thank me.
Your altruism is duly noted. Thankfully, the only time I have partay potoze are at the inlaws during the holidays. Other events I typically attend are either professionally catered or at an establishment.

I am not a native Iowan. My introduction to party potatoes was with my inlaws consisting of generations of native Iowans. Their party potatoes look like this, with just enough butter so that it looks like it wants to pool on the surface, but it does not:

Mashed-Potatoes-f4.jpg
Their party potatoes are what the rest of the world called mashed potatoes. There ain't any party in that thing.

Their party potatoes are what the rest of the world called mashed potatoes. There ain't any party in that thing.
It was the most representative photo I could find. Maybe there are other ingredients but I think the sour cream and then enough butter so that the potato molecules are fully saturated is what gives them their name. Maybe those are just potatoes for average americans on any day that ends with a "y," but not us I guess. Yay Iowa?

Reactions: GOHOX69
It was the most representative photo I could find. Maybe there are other ingredients but I think the sour cream and then enough butter so that the potato molecules are fully saturated is what gives them their name. Maybe those are just potatoes for average americans on any day that ends with a "y," but not us I guess. Yay Iowa?
I have a lady friend from N. Dakota. Having watched Fargo the movie and its numerous spin offs, I will ask her for authenticity. N. Dakotan's know these sorts of dishes. She did say party potatoes do not have cornflakes on it but was aware of the cornflakes containing dish, which she proclaimed was delicious.

Reactions: Tenacious E
**** it, I'm making some goddamn party potatoes on NYE. They'll be a great side dish for whatever I decide to load onto the smoker.
Nice. I’m getting together with people for something they’re calling New Dips Eve, board game and drinking night with everyone bringing a homemade dip. We got on some webapp that randomly assigned us a dessert or savory dip, and it should be alright. Might have to try some kind of potato based dip.

Nice. I’m getting together with people for something they’re calling New Dips Eve, board game and drinking night with everyone bringing a homemade dip. We got on some webapp that randomly assigned us a dessert or savory dip, and it should be alright. Might have to try some kind of potato based dip.
Just make a casserole dish of them and tell them you dip your fork in it.

Sounds like a groovy party man!

key-party-e1515711641410.jpg

keyparty009.jpg

Mashed-Potatoes-f4.jpg
Those look suspiciously like mashed potatoes.

Reactions: IACub
My kids literally fight over who gets to take the leftovers home. It can get ugly.
My mom makes two pans so there are plenty of leftovers for everyone. You got to step up your game, unless of course the fighting is part of the entertainment. Winner take all style.

Reactions: goldmom
This is exactly how my wife's recipe comes out. They're tasty and addictive.

We call them Cheesy Potatoes. My wife uses corn flakes for her recipe but her aunt makes a version with crushed Ritz crackers.
Same thing. Call them cheesy potatoes and they are topped with corn flakes then a melted stick of butter. Absolute amazingness

Also called cheesy potatoes in my world. Recipe is
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup

• 2 cups sour cream

• 1 teaspoon salt

• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

• 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

• ⅓ cup sliced green onions

• 1 (30 ounce) package Ore-Ida® Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes

• 2 cups crushed corn flakes cereal

• ¼ cup butter, melted

Directions​

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

2. Whisk together sour cream, condensed soup, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in Cheddar cheese, green onions, and hash brown potatoes until well mixed. Spoon evenly into the prepared baking dish.

3. Mix crushed cereal and melted butter together in a medium bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole.

4. Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

I use diced onion and not green onion. And Birch's modification looks super intriguing.

I didn't only because I was in charge of the prime rib this year and my sister in law made a twice baked potato casserole. Which was also delicious. But I usually make it for Christmas and/or Easter. Or a random Saturday.
We only get to make it on Christmas and Easter because Mrs. Torbee is a healthy food fanatic. I honestly question how I can stay fat given that, but I have a lot of "me" time to visit restaurants for lunch and on weekends and at Iowa games, etc. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3boysmom
You honkies eat the most disgusting foods ever.

Edit: so basically this is a homemade version of covered hash browns from Waffle House.
L O F’NG L

We only get to make it on Christmas and Easter because Mrs. Torbee is a healthy food fanatic. I honestly question how I can stay fat given that, but I have a lot of "me" time to visit restaurants for lunch and on weekends and at Iowa games, etc. 😂
Thus the appeal for a woman with a little meat on her bones, lol. You get to have cheesy potatoes on a random Saturday. 🤣

• Love
Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT