ADVERTISEMENT

Passing of a lifelong Hawkeye fan.

lonhawk

All-Conference
Aug 17, 2002
My father a lifelong hawkeye fan passed away this morning after a brief illness. We went to a few hawkeye games together. Notably the Kansas St. game in Ferentz first year, what a hot one! Every gameday we would sit around as a family and enjoy many Hawkeye games. Wins celebrated, losses fumed over.

He always liked to here stories i would tell him from posts on this site. Mostly the funny ones on whether a coach would be fired or about a player rumor mill etc...... Thank you.

Thanks to my dad i started being a Hawkeye fan early in my childhood, and will always remain same.

It was always are hope every spring somehow the Hawks would win a championship come the fall.

Many wonderful Hawkeye memories were made with my father. He will be missed.

Go Hawks!

My father a lifelong hawkeye fan passed away this morning after a brief illness. We went to a few hawkeye games together. Notably the Kansas St. game in Ferentz first year, what a hot one! Every gameday we would sit around as a family and enjoy many Hawkeye games. Wins celebrated, losses fumed over.

He always liked to here stories i would tell him from posts on this site. Mostly the funny ones on whether a coach would be fired or about a player rumor mill etc...... Thank you.

Thanks to my dad i started being a Hawkeye fan early in my childhood, and will always remain same.

It was always are hope every spring somehow the Hawks would win a championship come the fall.

Go Hawks!
RIP to your father, losing a parent sucks. Congrats on having a dad who passed many good traits on to you. Family and sports. A good combination.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I definitely can feel your loss as both of my parents were big hawk fans. They took my brother and I to our first game in Kinnick around 1957-8. As I got season tickets starting in the mid 1970's I would take my dad to many a game at Kinnick especially in the 1980s and 90s. I also got to return the favor by taking my two kids to games and now my son is taking his two kids to games. As Harry Chapin sang, life is indeed a circle.

Sorry for the loss. It will be 16 years since my Dad passed and I still have fond memories of us rooting on the Hawks. The circle of life is difficult but I have gotten tremendous satisfacation passing my love for the Hawkeyes on to my daughter and now my granddaughters. Always remember that he has the best seat in the house.

Go Hawks!
I lost my grandfather a few years ago. I was super close to him, even have the TigerHawk and a song lyric tattooed on me in honor of him. I watched a lot of Iowa games with him at home, house in Boji or Kinnick. Reason I say this is game 1 next year it's ok to shed some tears at kickoff. Hang in there buddy, sorry for your loss and go hawks!

Losing a parent is never something you can prepare for. My Dad was a big Hawkeye fan, too, but it was different for me, as he was not a fan until I went there for college from out of state, so we fell in love with the Hawkeyes, together. He never participated on these boards, but he would lurk occasionally and get a good laugh. I was hoping he'd get to see a Hawkeye national championship before he passed 4 years ago, but he got to see the Cubs win the World Series, which is something I never thought I'd see myself.

You'll spend the next few days doing a lot of crying....and laughing at all the great stories friends and loved ones will tell. May you find peace, brother.

Losing a parent is never something you can prepare for. My Dad was a big Hawkeye fan, too, but it was different for me, as he was not a fan until I went there for college from out of state, so we fell in love with the Hawkeyes, together. He never participated on these boards, but he would lurk occasionally and get a good laugh. I was hoping he'd get to see a Hawkeye national championship before he passed 4 years ago, but he got to see the Cubs win the World Series, which is something I never thought I'd see myself.

You'll spend the next few days doing a lot of crying....and laughing at all the great stories friends and loved ones will tell. May you find peace, brother.
You've lost a fiend but have kept the memories,

RIP to your father and blessings to you and your family,

Reactions: lonhawk

Go Hawks!
So very sorry for your loss. Your dad will continue to cheer of the Hawks with you, while at the same time not being in pain. T & P Ionhawk.

May your father rest easy, IonHawk. He will be with you in spirit forever.
I loved watching the Hawks with my Dad. I remember working with him in his wood shop one Saturday and we weren't getting much done because we were listening to the Iowa/Indiana game when Chuck Hartlieb through touchdown after touchdown. That is still a great memory for me.

Peace to you and your family, IonHawk.

Go Hawks!
Similar life experiences for me with my dad who now has been gone 18+ years. Last game together was the 2004 Outback Bowl when all of the FL fans left by Halftime. Cherished memory among many.

Go Hawks!
Sorry for your loss man. Cherish the memories.

Sorry for your loss and hold onto those memories. (Yes, that K-State was brutal. About 115 degrees on the field and we got whipped!)

Reactions: lonhawk and webird

Go Hawks!
My condolences to you and your family.

All my best to the living and may your dad live forever in you and yours, @lonhawk.

My dad left us when I was 19, and the one thing that I noted was that all of the traditions that tied us together just meant more after he passed. The Swarm makes me teary. “In Heaven…” always gets me. Going to the Rose Bowl was an almost necessary and cathartic experience, until the best running back in the world showed up :). I cried thinking of my dad being there, then cried watching IOWA be dismantled.

Please accept my condolences and be well.

Go Hawks!
Cherish the memories! I watch Hawkeye football every Saturday with my dad who will turn 80 this year. It’s quite a blessing and if he feels good enough I hope to get him to Kinnick for a game in September.

So sorry for your loss. While I’m still fortunate enough that my own father is still around, I understand done pain of losing a family member who you loved watching the Hawks with.

My Grandma passed 2 year ago on January 24th. Her passion for Hawkeye athletics was strong, and I loved talking with her about rumors, news, post game victories and commentary from Dolph and Ed. I miss her terribly.

Remember the good times and all the laughs, it helps with the grieving process. I hope you can find peace in knowing he’s watching over you.

Go Hawks!
R I P

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT