ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick in portal

Fran telling his sons to expect to get less minutes is a conversation that never has nor will happen.😊

Who knows, maybe Patrick just decided to play next year and didn't want to mess his dad up by coming back to Iowa. I don't know how it went down, but I think it was the right decision for everyone, including the fans.

lol. Is he going D3 where he belongs?
It's always better to not be coached by your father. I coached my son in baseball for three years and found myself coaching the other kids more in practice and my son at home. Not an even split, he jumped exponentially when he was coached by others. I wish Patrick the best and the same happens for him

Maybe he wants to just play for the fun of it without the stress and hassle of playing for his dad at Iowa. Best wishes to him.
He’s also going to have actual expectations of hustle and defense. I will be real interested to watch him play for another coach.
Does his motor final rev up or will he stay stuck in neutral. I have the sneaking suspicion that if he goes to a decent school his intensity may be a bit higher than it was here.

saved his best for last. This is his portal video:

You’d almost think getting slapped upside the head would be called a foul?

8kqkr8.jpg

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but PMac doesn’t lack skill. What he lacked was accountability from the coaching staff to rebound and defend with energy, drive with a purpose, and use his size athleticism. I hope the change of scenery will benefit him greatly.
Not in the minority by any stretch. I am relieved he will not return just like BF moving on in FB. Fair or not.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Somewhere like a St Thomas could be interesting for him. Newer D1 program, had some success but looking to take a jump

Reactions: amahawk
Seems odd, but whatever.
If he wants to give it one more go elsewhere then go for it.

One part of me thinks a change of scenery will benefit him. On the other hand, I just can’t see him even putting up respectable numbers. He seems to lack both mental and physical toughness. He has skills, but a lot of times he just seems to be in la La land. I had some hopes for him as a freshman, but he regressed (or at the very best did not improve). Wherever he goes, I do wish him the very best and I hope he has some fun.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but PMac doesn’t lack skill. What he lacked was accountability from the coaching staff to rebound and defend with energy, drive with a purpose, and use his size athleticism. I hope the change of scenery will benefit him greatly.
He had some skill, decent 3pt shooter, but his skill never translated into being able to beat a defender.

I think the complete lack of physicality and power is primarily to blame.

His drives usually wouldn't go at the basket but weird angles off to the side because he didn't want to put his shoulder into a defender.

I'll bet Patrick was involved in zero charges on either end of the court.

He had some skill, decent 3pt shooter, but his skill never translated into being able to beat a defender.

I think the complete lack of physicality and power is primarily to blame.

His drives usually wouldn't go at the basket but weird angles off to the side because he didn't want to put his shoulder into a defender.

I'll bet Patrick was involved in zero charges on either end of the court.
I don’t disagree but I’m wondering if a different voice would be beneficial for him. I’m not rooting against him. I don’t know that he wasn’t held accountable for the things I mentioned, but it sure as hell didn’t seem so.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I don’t disagree but I’m wondering if a different voice would be beneficial for him. I’m not rooting against him. I don’t know that he wasn’t held accountable for the things I mentioned, but it sure as hell didn’t seem so.
Oh I totally agree.

I think he was allowed to develop a lot of bad habits.

Oh I totally agree.

I think he was allowed to develop a lot of bad habits.
It’s gonna sound like I’m dogging the kid and I’m not, and I can’t make this shit up, but I’m watching the replay of the ICW @ CF game when AJ Green broke the CF scoring record. Flashes of greatness and, quite frankly, flashes of laziness.

It is a bit odd to have the coaches kid transfer but if I were to guess, he's probably going wherever Jack is going.

I hope he realizes his potential wherever he ends up. He has the tools to be a great player.

This could easily be a case where Fran and Patrick had their end of year conversation and Fran said he was going to have to play the younger guys and so if Patrick wants to keep playing another year, it would be best to go somewhere else. Connor hanging around made sense because of the team around him. But playing Patrick a lot of minutes next year just doesn't make sense. There won't be a spot for him. Sandfort will be playing the 3.
There is very little chance that happened. If that was the case, Patrick could have played fewer minutes in the NIT games

It's always better to not be coached by your father. I coached my son in baseball for three years and found myself coaching the other kids more in practice and my son at home. Not an even split, he jumped exponentially when he was coached by others. I wish Patrick the best and the same happens for him
Fathers rarely are good coaches for their kids. I also know this from personal experience but I didn’t seek it out, it was out of necessity.

I wish Pat all the best, he’s a great young man.

Very interesting to see the coach's son go to the transfer portal. Maybe he just wants one more year to play against weaker competition? Regardless, makes me wonder if Fran is done.
His daddy is rich, he doesn't need NIL money. His future is set. Entitled is real. Money grab. disgusting. Let the players who are disadvantaged gain, not those born on 3rd base..... What's daddy's net worth? i'd guess north of $15 million. Which is probably more than the rest of the Hawkeye team combined.

See Arch Manning... take his example & earn it.

Side note, maybe he's just sick of playing for daddy?

Last edited:
Reactions: NI hawk and GOHOX69
There is very little chance that happened. If that was the case, Patrick could have played fewer minutes in the NIT games
Patrick’s minutes in the NIT is totally independent of next year’s team.

I always thought that Patrick was a decent player who will hopefully end up being picked by someone. He is the all-time leading scorer out of IC West High, one of the stellar programs in the state. If he weren't Fran's son, he probably would not have been bashed all year on this Board. I like that he was our leading scorer in his last game as a Hawkeye. Best wishes, Pat!

Watch him go somewhere that plays Iowa next season, and he comes in and drops 30+ points (w/ 8 made threes), 8+ rebounds and actually gives effort on the D end.
Effort is the key. If a coach demands it he might be ok. That was most certainly no the case playing for his dad.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I always thought that Patrick was a decent player who will hopefully end up being picked by someone. He is the all-time leading scorer out of IC West High, one of the stellar programs in the state. If he weren't Fran's son, he probably would not have been bashed all year on this Board. I like that he was our leading scorer in his last game as a Hawkeye. Best wishes, Pat!
I’d like to say if he weren’t Fran’s son he wouldn’t have played but Josh ogelsby.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
I am ready for him to be gone but I don't agree that he was a D3 level player. A D3 level player, even with getting some extra minutes because his dad was coach wouldn't score 9 points per game playing D1 and in the B10. I bet if he goes to the right mid major he will be averaging 15 per game next year. Still may not be doing a lot of defense and rebounding though..
The bolded is the rub with PMAC.

On teams not coached by his Dad.....he wouldn't get enough PT to score 9 a game. Being a no show on D and the boards would have had him on the bench and not averaging 23 minutes a game.

Best of luck to him.
Thanks for being a HAWK.
Commit somewhere and draw a little paycheck and then quit right before the season starts.
I feel like I’ve seen something similar happen recently. 🤔
So, you're comparing Pat and Kayden about integrity issues?
Did not see that coming.

Actually just the opposite. He played more minutes this year, than last year.
I realize you hate Fran, but at some point, we have to use our heads. Pat was averaging 27.5 minutes per game to begin the year, Fran had a talk with him and made his Senior some come off the bench halfway through the year and lowered his minutes to 20 per game for the betterment of the team.

Reactions: bumper52
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT