ADVERTISEMENT

Pay it Forward to a Hawkeye

FireSomebody

Team MVP
Apr 17, 2009
I don't have the opportunity to go to the game on Saturday, but I would be there if I could. My wife and I are expecting a child and we live in Chicago, so I am grounded until the baby comes.

That said, I'd like to have someone go in my place and enjoy the beauty of an Iowa night game, while also contributing to the environment.

Does anyone know of someone who is down on their luck and would like to take their child to a game? I'd be happy to leave a couple of tickets at the Will Call, but I also don't want to just buy tickets for a scalper. Send me a message if you have anyone in mind. Maybe someone in the U of I Children's Hospital?

Some of my fondest memories as a child were going to Hawk games with my Dad and we lost him this summer, but I'd love to share a moment with another set of Hawkeye fans. All I would ask for is a picture of the smiling duo.

On Iowa, Go Hawks

FireSomebody - I don't know how to send you a private message. I have a little boy and his dad located at UIHC Trama though. If you know how to message me do so. If not I can email you with more information.

This is a very heart felt gesture FireSomebody. You are or will be a great father. I hope who ever get's these tix will send you more then 1 pic, hopefully of the game inside Kinnick. And if somehow these tix end up in the hands of a scalper and you find out about it let me know, I will personally drag them to your front door for a good old Chi town butt stomp.

Thanks for the leg work on this, IowaHawk19, that is the perfect group to send! I can't find any options for messaging you directly either.

My email is seanm319@gmail.com

Thanks again, and yes Jonesing, I would like to enlist your "encouragement" services if these were to end up in the wrong hands! Sounds like we have a prefect candidate though :)

Email sent! This is awesome.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. IowaHawk19 found a worthy little guy and his dad in the UIHC and IowaHawk19 is doing the leg work to get him the tix. Thanks very much, my man!

Hoping we create a memory and hawk fan for life!

On Iowa, Go Hawks!

This is easily the best thing I've seen on this board! This sounds silly, but having had both of my children spend time in hospitals, I have goosebumps at the thought of how this impacted this family.

Good for you FireSomebody and IowaHawk19!!!

This is easily the best thing I've seen on this board! This sounds silly, but having had both of my children spend time in hospitals, I have goosebumps at the thought of how this impacted this family.

Good for you FireSomebody and IowaHawk19!!!

Thats what its all about. Kudos to FireSomebody for wanting to do this. I have tickets in hand ready for delivery. I can tell you both father and son are very excited to go!

What a great gesture by the original poster! I will remember that if the wife and i cannot attend for some reason.

Very, Very Cool, Major Props. With so much bickering and just plain garbage that can get on the boards, This is something that truly shows the goodwill all Hawk fans should have towards each other. Thank You very much FireSomebody and IowaHawk19.

Very, Very Cool, Major Props. With so much bickering and just plain garbage that can get on the boards, This is something that truly shows the goodwill all Hawk fans should have towards each other. Thank You very much FireSomebody and IowaHawk19.
Well done, for sure. Kudos.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. IowaHawk19 found a worthy little guy and his dad in the UIHC and IowaHawk19 is doing the leg work to get him the tix. Thanks very much, my man!

Hoping we create a memory and hawk fan for life!

On Iowa, Go Hawks!
Thanks FS for being a great Hawk and everyone say a prayer for the little guy as well.
IH19 , if you can keep us in the loop. Thanks Gents

My hat is off to both FireSomebody & IowaHawk19. You guys have earned my respect and hopefully the respect of those who have read this thread. There is no other way for me to say this but, you two have given me goose bumps with your generosity.

There is still ONE more step here. Who is going to invite them to their tailgate? I cannot be at the game or I'd take that one on myself.

Oh one more thing - if they have both black or gold clothing, be sure they know the color of their section.

There is still ONE more step here. Who is going to invite them to their tailgate? I cannot be at the game or I'd take that one on myself.

Great idea Pepp!

I also like the clothing idea and if someone is able to host them at a tailgate I would think some of us could take up a donation for them to get the proper color for them at the game.

If you would've donated directly to UI Hospitals you could've written it off on your taxes. Something to think about next time.

And who exactly do you think should be fired? Will any person do?

If you would've donated directly to UI Hospitals you could've written it off on your taxes. Something to think about next time.

And who exactly do you think should be fired? Will any person do?

Haha, yeah, the name is kind of intended to make fun of the message board culture. The answer is always "fire somebody!".

I actually really like our current coaches for the major programs.

Great idea, props to the OP!! Hopefully a post game report can be shared with the fortunate duo that gets to attend the game tonight. The weather should be fantastic for a night game!!

Thanks FS for being a great Hawk and everyone say a prayer for the little guy as well.
IH19 , if you can keep us in the loop. Thanks Gents

For privacy reasons I chose not to share a photo that actually shows the young man that was able to attend. I did however want to keep everyone in the loop and reassure folks that these tickets were not scalped. Props to the UIHC Children's Hospital staff on this. They went above and beyond transporting care into Kinnick for the night. It was a great experience to be part of. Thanks to Firesomebody for giving me the chance to help out. Made a great night in Kinnick that much more amazing.

IMG_5477.jpg

With the young "Kid Captain" who was announced as having beaten back cancer, Greenwood's heart wrenching/lifting presence, this little guy getting to go to the game via a great idea/gesture, and the way the game played out......

Words like 'wow', 'fantastic', 'awesome', and the like are far too overused so I'll go with a baseball phrase that seems to fit here:

Walk-off

Another thread that should reach 10 pages. First class move man.

For privacy reasons I chose not to share a photo that actually shows the young man that was able to attend. I did however want to keep everyone in the loop and reassure folks that these tickets were not scalped. Props to the UIHC Children's Hospital staff on this. They went above and beyond transporting care into Kinnick for the night. It was a great experience to be part of. Thanks to Firesomebody for giving me the chance to help out. Made a great night in Kinnick that much more amazing.

IMG_5477.jpg
I don't deserve much credit for the way this all went down. IowaHawk19 took care of all of the logistics of getting the tickets to the young man and it sounds like the hospital deserves the rest of the credit.

I know a very little bit about the young mans story and it is just gut-wrenching to think that anyone, especially those who have not had the opportunity to experience things in life that some have, would be dealt that hand of cards.

That said, I would be happy to do this time and again, but would really like to make it easy to fund these types of things for the UIHC pediatric hospital. Then anyone could throw in a few bucks or a spare ticket when they have them and there would be a process in place to ensure they land in one of these little guys hands. Like a Hawkeyereport swear jar!

Just a thought and maybe I can put some action behind it if others have interest.

I'd do this. I've had kids up to the press box from the ronald McDonald House at the spring scrimmage before, but never a game. I would help to the extent possible.

Reactions: IowaHawk19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT