ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sandfort announcing October 1st

Since we've not gotten any news tonight to say differently I'm just going to assume that he's committing to Iowa tomorrow

Hopefully. Last time though I thought this was the case slick Rick came in and the guy committed to Iona of all places over Iowa. However being a local in state guy makes me feel a lot better this time around.

No, not really. Luka Garza was a four-star and had almost thirty offers, which included Louisville and Indiana.

4 star according to whom? He was interested in many schools on the
East coast, closer to home and didn't get offered. See Lefty Driesell's video on how he had to
Beg coaches to look at Luka.

East coast, closer to home and didn't get offered. See Lefty Driesell's video on how he had to
Rivals, 247, ESPN had him as a 4 Star. Future150 had him as a 3 Star, and Verbal Commits had him as a 3.7 Star.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Surprisingly enough, Wisconsin's recruiting 2016-2019, was worse than ours.

Yep, I guess I don't even mean from a recruiting standpoint but their overall success. The 2014 and 2015 Recruiting Classes were killers to any momentum Fran was building. Realistically, not one player from those classes was above mediocre (I have never been a Moss fan and he was the best of the lot) and most were just complete misses. Since 2016, there has been a big uptick in the recruiting and that has shown through the last couple of years.

Wisconsin has really killed it in the Twin Cities. They recruit way better there than Minnesota does and there is some good talent in the area.

I love Wieskamp game but I'll agree to disagree.

I would agree. It has potential for sure but they would have to prove it and there would be a huge hole in the front-line until Nunge proves he is bone-fide Big Ten player. My hope for this year is that Nunge can fill the Kreiner role from last year. Anything beyond that will be a plus for this year.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Yep, I guess I don't even mean from a recruiting standpoint but their overall success. The 2014 and 2015 Recruiting Classes were killers to any momentum Fran was building. Realistically, not one player from those classes was above mediocre (I have never been a Moss fan and he was the best of the lot) and most were just complete misses. Since 2016, there has been a big uptick in the recruiting and that has shown through the last couple of years.

Wisconsin has really killed it in the Twin Cities. They recruit way better there than Minnesota does and there is some good talent in the area.
Wisky gets a lot of good Minnesota players for sure. Minnesota seems to be dropping 4 and 5 stars from the sky the last 5 years.
Five star Holmgren next year.
Five start Suggs this year, along with four other top 100 four stars.
Five star Hurt 2019, with two other four star top 100s.
Tre Jones five star in 2018.

Seriously, all little Richard has to do is get one in state guy a year and he'd be set.

No, not really. Luka Garza was a four-star and had almost thirty offers, which included Louisville and Indiana.

Luka was 4* top 100 player, a fact that too many people overlook. Guys in the top 100 are supposed to be good, just not national PoY good. Luka arrived with a high ceiling and got even better than expected of a top 100 player.

Weirdly, for a guy that is in everyone else's top 200 I couldn't find Payton on ESPN. Payton seems like a good recruit. 247 has him at 138 and 163 national average. That's a solid but not spectacular recruit. By way of a comparison Payton's national average is much higher than any of the incoming freshmen at the same place last season. Rankings aren't everything but they are something. Each of the last two classes saw our top recruits all climb the rankings senior season, with Joe T moving up significantly into the national top 120. I think Tony and Ahron jumped more than 100 spots on most of the recruiting rankings. Starting around 160 certainly means a big senior season could move Payton into a Top 120 4*, always good at Iowa.

Payton's video does not look like a real 210 pounder, very skinny. Looks like a versatile scorer. I'm optimistic about the freshmen so I do not foresee Payton seeing many minutes his first couple seasons on campus. The classic Iowa recruit that can get bigger, stronger and better and, by junior year, can play significant minutes on a winning team.

Be interesting to see how this kid develops. For now we should be optimistic for the development of a good player.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

Lefty begged Coach K at Duke and Mark Turgeon at Maryland... neither of which offered Garza. That doesn't make your point because Garza did have high major offers and was considered a 4 Star recruit by this very site that you frequent, to help you out a little....

Reactions: owenhawk
Lefty begged Coach K at Duke and Mark Turgeon at Maryland... neither of which offered Garza. That doesn't make your point because Garza did have high major offers and was considered a 4 Star recruit by this very site that you frequent, to help you out a little....

I think a more accurate sentence would be that "Lefty claimed he begged Coach K at Duke and Mark Turgeon at Maryland... neither of which offered Garza"

Reactions: 2432Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT