ADVERTISEMENT

PBS Documentary on The Troubles in Northern Ireland

I'm supposedly of 100% Irish Catholic stock, and "the troubles" always seemed like the dumbest thing ever to me. Seems like they figured it out by the 90's, much better to get along and go the tourist trap route.

Would have been weird as a middle-class American Irish Catholic kid to visit Northern Ireland in the 70's or 80's, although probably your Americanishness would have been obvious to all sides immediately.

The Milltown Cemetary Attack and Corporals Killings footage was insane. A terrorist killing and a mob killing, both witnessed live on TV.

Last edited:
I'm supposedly of 100% Irish Catholic stock, and "the troubles" always seemed like the dumbest thing ever to me. Seems like they figured it out by the 90's, much better to get along and go the tourist trap route.

Would have been weird as a middle-class American Irish Catholic kid to visit Northern Ireland in the 70's or 80's, although probably your Americanishness would have been obvious to all sides immediately.
Ireland joining the EU was the biggest change. It’s amazing what investment and economic success can do.

Reactions: BrianNole777
India v. Pakistan

Jus sayin'

History repeating itself? Seriously!
Cary Elwes Laughing GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT