ADVERTISEMENT

The Strongest Case Against Donald Trump

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
Trump brings out the worst in Americans. Nikki Haley wouldn’t.
By Conor Friedersdorf

If Donald Trump beats Nikki Haley on Saturday in her home state of South Carolina, where he leads in the polls, he’s a cinch to win the GOP nomination. And if he wins the GOP nomination, he has a very good shot at winning the presidency. So it’s worth entertaining the strongest argument against Trump, which many Americans haven’t heard before: that Trump brings out the worst in many of us—his critics and supporters alike.

To really make this anti-Trump argument, one must go so far as to acknowledge that the anti-Trump coalition has sometimes engaged in unreason, hysteria, and abuses of power. The name for this phenomenon is Trump Derangement Syndrome.

In 2003, the conservative writer Charles Krauthammer coined the term Bush Derangement Syndrome to describe “the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency––nay––the very existence of George W. Bush.” The idea wasn’t that any opposition to Bush or his policies was deranged, but rather that Bush hatred was causing some of the president’s critics to indulge in preposterous claims, such as asserting that he’d known the 9/11 attacks were coming.

Trump Derangement Syndrome is similar but more intense and widespread. I’m 44. I remember extreme hatred of numerous politicians, including Bill Clinton, Bush, and Barack Obama. But nothing comes close to the reaction to Trump’s presidency. Many Americans hold as an article of faith that Trump is a tool of Russia and a fascistic danger to democracy who ought to be thrown off the ballot in all 50 states and imprisoned for life. They believe, therefore, that pretty much anything critics do to oppose him can be excused as a righteous means to a vital end.

Read: Trump is about to steamroll Nikki Haley

For that reason, during Trump’s presidency, our entire politics was distorted by the reaction to him, not just among zealous members of #theresistance but among many moderate Democrats who were less likely to oppose the left’s excesses while Trump was in power. Feeling more threatened by Trump than by any other politician, they treated stopping him as their priority and everything else as a distraction that could be sorted out later. It was never harder to oppose the illiberal left than when Trump was the president.

Of course, I needn’t convince Republicans in South Carolina that Trump Derangement Syndrome is real. Most Republicans see it. Plenty of Trump supporters have complained about it. Trump himself has referred to the idea by name on social media. But if you truly see that a particular man absolutely deranges many of your fellow Americans, doesn’t it follow that you should choose someone else to lead the United States?

Good leaders don’t derange a huge faction of the country they are leading. Good leaders bring out the best in the people. More than anyone, Trump brings out the worst in Americans.

That’s the strongest argument against Trump. It isn’t about his policy agenda, or his character, or the legal charges against him, or his failure to make America great again from 2016 to 2020, an era of COVID lockdowns, peak cancel culture, spiking murders, and riots.

It isn’t about him. It’s about us.

The strongest argument against Trump is his effect on the American people ––and not just his opponents. Trump manages to derange many of his most ardent supporters. The people who stormed the capitol on January 6 were not representative of typical Republicans. But how many of the 450-plus people sentenced to prison for their acts that day would have formed a violent, unruly mob in response to any other politician? Under any other president, they’d have been at school or at work or at home with their family.

From the January/February 2024 issue: The danger ahead

Certainly, no one is going to storm the capitol for Nikki Haley. Like any president, Haley would have critics, including a few partisans who’d hit her with unfair, hyperbolic attacks. But these critics likely wouldn’t exhibit symptoms of derangement. Even while serving in the Trump administration, Haley elicited far less hate than its most controversial figures. If anyone fears her, I haven’t encountered them. As president, Haley simply wouldn’t have much effect on the public psyche. And that’s good: Politicians ought to be afterthoughts who quietly serve at our pleasure, not main characters in national life, eliciting fear and loathing.

“Nikki Haley is leading President Biden by 13 points in a new poll of a hypothetical head-to-head match-up,” The Hill reported earlier this month. In other words, she can win the general election, and she can do that without bringing out the worst in all of us.

I'm for any case that works - and this one won't work either - but I'm all for trying to make it. Usually this case is made by people who don't necessarily disagree with the policies or the results per the data, but they detest the Trump character/brand/movement/nastiness/etc and what it has done to America's mood/psyche/spirit. It's hard to measure, but most people probably have their own feeling for that type of thing and know what is meant.

Yes, Haley would be better than Trump. Easy call.

Haley is still unacceptable.

Serious question: If Trump isn't able to run, for whatever reason, would the GOP pick Haley?
I think it depends on when it happens. If it’s before the convention you would see folks re-enter the race. It would be a new race and DeSantis would take most of Trumps supporters.

I would have no issue with Haley but I think she would be eager to get us in a war

The only people with Trump Derangement Syndrome are his supporters:

Isn't that sort of attitude exactly what he's talking about? You seem to be the sort that would tacitly subscribe to the idea that there is no "bad" argument against Trump -- because if it's against Trump, how can it be bad?

The idea is that this political posture and argumentation work against your interests in getting rid of the man.

I'm effectively a never Trumper and don't even favor republican policies. I also wish people would stop making bad arguments against Trump. It can serve to strengthen he and his base.

If Donald Trump beats Nikki Haley on Saturday in her home state of South Carolina, where he leads in the polls, he’s a cinch to win the GOP nomination. And if he wins the GOP nomination, he has a very good shot at winning the presidency. So it’s worth entertaining the strongest argument against Trump, which many Americans haven’t heard before: that Trump brings out the worst in many of us—his critics and supporters alike.

To really make this anti-Trump argument, one must go so far as to acknowledge that the anti-Trump coalition has sometimes engaged in unreason, hysteria, and abuses of power. The name for this phenomenon is Trump Derangement Syndrome.

In 2003, the conservative writer Charles Krauthammer coined the term Bush Derangement Syndrome to describe “the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency––nay––the very existence of George W. Bush.” The idea wasn’t that any opposition to Bush or his policies was deranged, but rather that Bush hatred was causing some of the president’s critics to indulge in preposterous claims, such as asserting that he’d known the 9/11 attacks were coming.

Trump Derangement Syndrome is similar but more intense and widespread. I’m 44. I remember extreme hatred of numerous politicians, including Bill Clinton, Bush, and Barack Obama. But nothing comes close to the reaction to Trump’s presidency. Many Americans hold as an article of faith that Trump is a tool of Russia and a fascistic danger to democracy who ought to be thrown off the ballot in all 50 states and imprisoned for life. They believe, therefore, that pretty much anything critics do to oppose him can be excused as a righteous means to a vital end.

Read: Trump is about to steamroll Nikki Haley

For that reason, during Trump’s presidency, our entire politics was distorted by the reaction to him, not just among zealous members of #theresistance but among many moderate Democrats who were less likely to oppose the left’s excesses while Trump was in power. Feeling more threatened by Trump than by any other politician, they treated stopping him as their priority and everything else as a distraction that could be sorted out later. It was never harder to oppose the illiberal left than when Trump was the president.

Of course, I needn’t convince Republicans in South Carolina that Trump Derangement Syndrome is real. Most Republicans see it. Plenty of Trump supporters have complained about it. Trump himself has referred to the idea by name on social media. But if you truly see that a particular man absolutely deranges many of your fellow Americans, doesn’t it follow that you should choose someone else to lead the United States?

Good leaders don’t derange a huge faction of the country they are leading. Good leaders bring out the best in the people. More than anyone, Trump brings out the worst in Americans.

That’s the strongest argument against Trump. It isn’t about his policy agenda, or his character, or the legal charges against him, or his failure to make America great again from 2016 to 2020, an era of COVID lockdowns, peak cancel culture, spiking murders, and riots.

It isn’t about him. It’s about us.

The strongest argument against Trump is his effect on the American people ––and not just his opponents. Trump manages to derange many of his most ardent supporters. The people who stormed the capitol on January 6 were not representative of typical Republicans. But how many of the 450-plus people sentenced to prison for their acts that day would have formed a violent, unruly mob in response to any other politician? Under any other president, they’d have been at school or at work or at home with their family.

From the January/February 2024 issue: The danger ahead

Certainly, no one is going to storm the capitol for Nikki Haley. Like any president, Haley would have critics, including a few partisans who’d hit her with unfair, hyperbolic attacks. But these critics likely wouldn’t exhibit symptoms of derangement. Even while serving in the Trump administration, Haley elicited far less hate than its most controversial figures. If anyone fears her, I haven’t encountered them. As president, Haley simply wouldn’t have much effect on the public psyche. And that’s good: Politicians ought to be afterthoughts who quietly serve at our pleasure, not main characters in national life, eliciting fear and loathing.

“Nikki Haley is leading President Biden by 13 points in a new poll of a hypothetical head-to-head match-up,” The Hill reported earlier this month. In other words, she can win the general election, and she can do that without bringing out the worst in all of us.
Yet another Atlantic piece sounding oh-so-reasonable while giving cover to the right.

I don't get why so many people think this is a liberal rag.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yes, Haley would be better than Trump. Easy call.

Haley is still unacceptable.

Serious question: If Trump isn't able to run, for whatever reason, would the GOP pick Haley?

I'm sure Ted Cruz could be persuaded.
She says she will pardon Trump and also says that Biden is worse than Trump. She would be like putting Kimmy Reynolds in the White House.

Wouldn't that be a good example of the derangement he's talking about?

You really seriously expect that would happen?
um, the man tried to overthrow a free and fair election and has said that he wants to be a dictator for his first day only. yeah right, history is littered with leaders who seized all agencies of government for 1 day then on day 2 said lets go back to being a democracy. when someone tells you who they are, believe them

I think it depends on when it happens. If it’s before the convention you would see folks re-enter the race. It would be a new race and DeSantis would take most of Trumps supporters.

I would have no issue with Haley but I think she would be eager to get us in a war
I thought the consensus was that DeSantis had proved himself a pretty awful campaigner. Wouldn't they look for someone better?

Isn't that sort of attitude exactly what he's talking about? You seem to be the sort that would tacitly subscribe to the idea that there is no "bad" argument against Trump -- because if it's against Trump, how can it be bad?

The idea is that this political posture and argumentation work against your interests in getting rid of the man.

I'm effectively a never Trumper and don't even favor republican policies. I also wish people would stop making bad arguments against Trump. It can serve to strengthen he and his base.
<rolling eyes> You mean like claiming he’s a Kenyan-born Muslim commie ineligible for the presidency? Did anyone talk about Obama Derangement Syndrome or does that only affect democrats? When Trump says out loud that he could murder someone in broad daylight and he wouldn’t lose any support - and his supporters AGREE with him…that’s f’n deranged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT