ADVERTISEMENT

Penn Swimmer who Competed as Male for 3 Seasons Now Dominating Women’s Swimming

What did the big kid do to make it unfair? Nothing. What did the transgender do to make it unfair? You obviously know what the transgender did to make it unfair.

Genetics. Not fair.

Just like the trans person whose birth gender doesn't align with their real gender.

This is like worrying about a plane crash. It's so infrequent that it doesn't warrant concern unless you're an intolerant bigot who decides to make it an issue.

So 1 school district in the United states for 1-2 years were affected. Would you say that is .0000000001 chance then that your child could be affected by this? Wow Its like 1,000,000 times less likely than a child dying from Covid. Yeah I stand by my comment.
what a dumb statement. There have been trans athletes that have placed and won in state competitions, so it affects everyone they beat and placed behind them.
My neighbor girl had this happen last year.

The issue is after a year the strength should be similar, bone structure however is different. I guess I think these individuals should be allowed to compete, so your solution then is to have them be disadvantage, play in a sport then that they are no longer the same sex. So there was a female wrestler that was transition and she wanted to wrestle men but was forced to wrestle girls. It’s a complex issue and I can recognize it at the same time no one has given a reasonable solution to the problem. ths has just become a Republican hot button issue which is rather inconsequential to me.
This is not true and the little league analogy is terrible.

Genetics. Not fair.

Just like the trans person whose birth gender doesn't align with their real gender.

This is like worrying about a plane crash. It's so infrequent that it doesn't warrant concern unless you're an intolerant bigot who decides to make it an issue.
People always say that after they get what they want out of the deal, like with this topic. But when a trans person was kicked out of a spa for using the wrong locker room, it wasn't "This rarely happens". It was a big goddamned deal.

The next time a trans person is denied something unfairly, I'll be looking for you to calm everyone down by telling them it's OK because "it happens so infrequently".

what a dumb statement. There have been trans athletes that have placed and won in state competitions, so it affects everyone they beat and placed behind them.
My neighbor girl had this happen last year.
What is dumb about it is it was likely a female transitioning to a male, and they left her wrestling girls. This is the most common issue right now. Read the article I posted above. It is Mack Beggs. Show me the state tournament results and who it is. When you do a google search nothing else comes up. That is not to say this didn't become public knowledge or get up to the state or national level. Mack wanted to wrestle in the boys division and was not allowed due to Texas state law.

Your all about fairness and then throw it out the window when it doesn’t fit your objective.
What do you not understand about a 6'9" man becoming a woman and then playing basketball? Biology has already built their body. I'm not aware of studies showing muscle mass of men that transition to women and are highly competitive athletes, lose muscle mass that make them gender equals.

Reactions: SIXERS24
What is dumb about it is it was likely a female transitioning to a male, and they left her wrestling girls. This is the most common issue right now. Read the article I posted above. It is Mack Beggs. Show me the state tournament results and who it is. When you do a google search nothing else comes up. That is not to say this didn't become public knowledge or get up to the state or national level. Mack wanted to wrestle in the boys division and was not allowed due to Texas state law.
it was track and it is not public knowledge.

Reactions: SIXERS24
What do you not understand about a 6'9" man becoming a woman and then playing basketball? Biology has already built their body. I'm not aware of studies showing muscle mass of men that transition to women and are highly competitive athletes, lose muscle mass that make them gender equals.
It doesn't make them gender neutral but its fairly close. There is significant muscle loss after 1 year. After 3 years, the muscle mass is slightly larger but not drastic. Read the medical Journals. If you are worried about a slight advantage, I don't know what to tell you. People have built in advantages all the time. We are talking about athletic events that have no significant outcome to them. For these individuals to allow them to compete is something we should do.

studies likely done on general populations not athletes.
You go from saying its not true, to saying they are not tracking the correct individuals? Wow. You were never in debate were you? FYI - read the first line, these were all in regards to sport studies.

You go from saying its not true, to saying they are not tracking the correct individuals? Wow. You were never in debate were you?
WHat information from a study is necessary when you have people that transition are suddenly the best or are elite. You can't think a couple studies on muscle mass are the sole indicators of advantage. bone/muscle/muscle type/nervous system, etc. there are too many variables not accounted for.

WHat information from a study is necessary when you have people that transition are suddenly the best or are elite. You can't think a couple studies on muscle mass are the sole indicators of advantage. bone/muscle/muscle type/nervous system, etc. there are too many variables not accounted for.
This was all based on Athletic studies, read the first line. That is all these studies were based on. I am arguing with individuals who have no knowledge of science and are more motivated by fear than actual impacts. Keep fearing the african americans, or all the immigrants that are going to take your jobs. Yeah, I think I am done with this thread, nothing more to discuss.

People always say that after they get what they want out of the deal, like with this topic. But when a trans person was kicked out of a spa for using the wrong locker room, it wasn't "This rarely happens". It was a big goddamned deal.

The next time a trans person is denied something unfairly, I'll be looking for you to calm everyone down by telling them it's OK because "it happens so infrequently".

The difference is that one action is inclusive, while the other is repressive and/or divisive. We should all strive to be more inclusive.

• Haha
Reactions: HotelAlphaWilcoKilo
The difference is that one action is inclusive, while the other is repressive and/or divisive. We should all strive to be more inclusive.
The story in the OP is repressive and divisive for those girls getting beaten by a male. And here you are saying it happens so infrequently that it's OK that they're getting shafted. And now you're admitting to it.

This was all based on Athletic studies, read the first line. That is all these studies were based on. I am arguing with individuals who have no knowledge of science and are more motivated by fear than actual impacts. Keep fearing the african americans, or all the immigrants that are going to take your jobs. Yeah, I think I am done with this thread, nothing more to discuss.
bye

So apparently if Shaq in his prime, started taking hormones he would have had no competitive advantage. he'd whither away and look like lisa leslie, who by the way was one of the first women to dunk in a game.
Do we really think we would be debating whether or not Shaq could dunk if he had transitioned?
How in the world do some of you think there there is no advantage to going through puberty as a male, training as a male, and then becoming a female.

Look i'm pro gay, trans everything but that's not what we are talking about here. This is a conversation about fairness vs equity.

It doesn't make them gender neutral but its fairly close. There is significant muscle loss after 1 year. After 3 years, the muscle mass is slightly larger but not drastic. Read the medical Journals. If you are worried about a slight advantage, I don't know what to tell you. People have built in advantages all the time. We are talking about athletic events that have no significant outcome to them. For these individuals to allow them to compete is something we should do.

This is a "slight advantage" that one chooses for themselves and competes against women.

If there is a slight advantage it's enough in my book to say they shouldn't be competing against biological females. If they love their sport that much they should wait until they are done competing to transition.

Wrestlers are forced to lose a significant amount of body weight fast to compete in their sport. These people could hold off on getting surgically and hormonally altered.

Men are larger, have narrower hips, and larger lungs. These physical attributes are advantages in almost all sport. And, now are effected by hormone therapy.

"Fairness" is such a bullshit argument. The 8th grader who's 6'4" 250 is just as rare as the transgender high school athlete, but we don't tell him he has to sit out because he's too big.
As long as he or she was born with those physical traits its fine. How do you feel about steroid use in sports?

I disagree, politics seem to be playing even a larger part in even normal interactions. Ideology, theology, and politics are all getting mashed/hashed out on very public stages. It seems we have much more of a lack of understanding and overall caring for other individuals. No offense but I see this outrage in this thread being my child lost to a transgendered individual. Honestly in the grand scheme of things, that event in my child life would mean nothing in the long run. However, for the transgendered individual to compete, it likely means everything. Read the article above, transgenders generally do not participate in athletics. They are generally shunned and are not given the resources or access to compete.
Nor should they.

What a coincidence! Must have been practicing extra hard.

A University of Pennsylvania women’s swimmer named Lia Thomas, who used to go by Will as a member of the men’s swimming team, is smashing records and has many wondering if Olympic superstar Katie Ledecky will be soon losing races to a transgender competitor.

At a November 20 tri-meet with Cornell and Princeton, Lia Thomas “blasted the No. 1 200 free time and the second-fastest 500 free time in the nation, breaking Penn program records in both events. She swept the 100-200-500 free individual events and contributed to the first-place 400 free relay,” according to SwimSwam.com, a website dedicated to collegiate swimming.

Will Thomas, a native of Austin, Texas, competed for the Penn men’s swimming team for three seasons before taking off the pandemic year. During the 2018-19 season, Will was second-team All-Ivy League in the 500 freestyle, 1,000 free and 1,650 free. In 2019-20, Thomas competed in four of Penn’s eight regular-season events. According to the Penn swimming archives, Will Thomas last competed for the men’s team on November 16, 2019.

“Being trans has not affected my ability to do this sport and being able to continue is very rewarding,” Thomas told the campus student newspaper in June.

Lia-Thomas-Penn-Transgender-swimmer-breaks-records.jpg

Cool. I hope men take over all the womens sports. Put em back in the kitchen where they belong.

Fairness in sports isn't bullshit. Your argument of "fairness" in this incredibly rare case is. It's just not something that comes up with any type of regularity.

I'm willing -- and I think the world at large should be willing -- to make the sacrifice to fairness in order to be more inclusive and help others move through the world more confidently.
Barf

I didn't see any comments in the article from the other women competing. Are they as outraged as the OP?

I didn't see any comments in the article from the other women competing. Are they as outraged as the OP?
OP isn't outraged. OP is delighted at how delirious people continue to lie to themselves out loud, then scream "bigotry" when others don't share their insanity. Great message board fodder.

Reactions: seminole97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT