ADVERTISEMENT

'People need food to be alive.’ Iowa GOP isn’t so sure

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
There’s means testing, and then there’s just plain mean.

We can see the difference in House File 3, which would throw up high barriers and dramatically curtail choices at the grocery store for Iowans who need food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP. It has 39 Republican co-sponsors, including the House speaker and majority leader.

The bill would require the Department of Health and Human Services to seek a federal waiver allowing Iowa to scrap an already restrictive federal list of approved foods and replace it with a list of food available to recipients of aid to Women, Infants and Children, or WIC.

Advertisement

So what would change? Well, SNAP recipients would no longer be able to use their benefits to buy meat, unless it’s canned tuna or salmon or pureed in baby food. They couldn’t buy flour, cooking oil, spices or even salt and pepper. Canned vegetables and fruit would be off the list. And no soup for you.

The bill would also, for the first time, create an asset test, limiting household assets to $2,750 or $4,250 if one member of the household is over 60. It exempts just one vehicle, potentially making households with two cars ineligible.

Beyond all of that draconian wisdom, the bill would force recipients to jump through far more regulatory hoops to become eligible and stay on SNAP, wrapping recipients tightly in red tape and likely costing the state millions more to administer the program.

We’re talking about food, folks, not some luxury. Luke Elzinga, head of the Iowa Hunger Coalition tells me that roughly half of SNAP recipients are children, disabled or elderly. Only 8 percent of SNAP clients are able-bodied adults.

“People need food to be alive,” said Natalie Veldhouse, a policy advocate for Common Good Iowa, a progressive think tank. This is now a controversial position under the Golden Dome of Wisdom.

Making it harder for struggling Iowans to get help is called “public assistance program integrity.” Sort of like “election integrity” made it harder to vote. Twisting the meaning of integrity is a good indication you really don’t have any.

Opinion Newsletter Signup​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox daily

Only two groups support the bill. One is the Florida-based Opportunity Solutions Project, which sends its minions across the country to cut holes in the social safety net and oppose policies such as Medicaid expansion. The group is part of a web of conservative think tanks and bill mills bankrolled by rich donors who think if you just make poor people hungry and sick enough, they’ll utilize their bootstraps.

“It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps,” said Martin Luther King Jr., whose birthday we celebrated this week.

If this bill becomes law, we’ll need an Ebenezer Scrooge Day. Are there no prisons or workhouses?

Similar bills have been floated in past years. But what makes this so remarkably ironic is that Republicans also are pushing legislation that would eventually hand $7,600 publicly funded scholarships to any family in Iowa that wants send kids to private school. Every family would be eligible in year three of the program, with no means or asset testing whatsoever, to the tune of $341 million annually.

That money would then go to private schools that face fewer transparency requirements. It’s basically a large new entitlement program with virtually no strings attached. Gov. Kim Reynolds talks about public assistance recipients in hammocks. Scholarships likely will go to people who actually have hammocks, maybe even in-ground pools and teak patio loungers.

Of course it’s early, so the SNAP bill may be adjusted from cruel to slightly less cruel. You have to wonder if its sponsors even read the WIC food list. But the fact it was even filed at all tells you a lot about the mentality of this Legislature. Lavish benefits on our friends and screw Iowans we don’t care about. Republicans have the power, the ways and the means to be mean.

(319) 398-8262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com

Will any of our resident Rs defend this?
I’m not going to defend making it more difficult for low-income families to buy groceries. But once again, Dems are engaging in hyperbole.

The new list of approved items is 16 pages long. It’s disingenous to suggest that Republicans aren’t going to give them enough food to live.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79
Only 8 percent of SNAP clients are able-bodied adults.

I don't believe that for a second.

I also believe that we need SNAP reform. They should not be able to buy several items that are currently allowed.

I’m not going to defend making it more difficult for low-income families to buy groceries. But once again, Dems are engaging in hyperbole.

The new list of approved items is 16 pages long. It’s disingenous to suggest that Republicans aren’t going to give them enough food to live.
Really? Because meat, flour, salt, oil, and canned goods are off the list. Sure sounds like they don't want people to eat to me.

Really? Because meat, flour, salt, oil, and canned goods are off the list. Sure sounds like they don't want people to eat to me.
They can buy a wide variety of breakfast cereals and oatmeal. They can buy eggs, milk, and milk alternatives. They can buy fresh fruit and vegetables. They can buy whole bread, buns, and pasta. They can buy yogurt and tofu and cheese. They can buy peanut butter and canned beans and dried beans and brown rice. They can buy soft corn and whole wheat tortillas. They can buy a wide variety of fruit juices. They can buy infant formula, infant cereal, infant fruits and vegetables, and infant meats.

It seems to me that’s more than enough food to keep a person alive.

I'm in between on this one. I'd be ok with some more limitations on what they can get. I'd like to know how "already restricted" the author thinks it is. I don't think it should be as limited as wic but some more limitations are in line.

I've been in grocery for 18 years. Even in a small northwest Iowa town there is literally several times a day that someone buys a cart full of groceries with snap and then uses cash for a bottle of liquor, a carton of cigarettes or both. I can't even imagine how often it happens in larger markets. We are effectively paying for TONS of alcohol and tobacco with our taxes. Tons.

I'm in between on this one. I'd be ok with some more limitations on what they can get. I'd like to know how "already restricted" the author thinks it is. I don't think it should be as limited as wic but some more limitations are in line.

I've been in grocery for 18 years. Even in a small northwest Iowa town there is literally several times a day that someone buys a cart full of groceries with snap and then uses cash for a bottle of liquor, a carton of cigarettes or both. I can't even imagine how often it happens in larger markets. We are effectively paying for TONS of alcohol and tobacco with our taxes. Tons.
I would add fresh and frozen chicken, hamburger, salt and pepper, and certain soups to the list of approved items.

The first two and a half pages are solely breakfast cereals and bread. But you're right...breakfast three times a day will prevent starvation.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
They can buy a wide variety of breakfast cereals and oatmeal. They can buy eggs, milk, and milk alternatives. They can buy fresh fruit and vegetables. They can buy whole bread, buns, and pasta. They can buy yogurt and tofu and cheese. They can buy peanut butter and canned beans and dried beans and brown rice. They can buy soft corn and whole wheat tortillas. They can buy a wide variety of fruit juices. They can buy infant formula, infant cereal, infant fruits and vegetables, and infant meats.

It seems to me that’s more than enough food to keep a person alive.
Alive, but what's the purpose behind this? I agree with banning alcohol. But flour? Soup? Salt? Is anybody really abusing these items?

I’d like to start means testing some of the farm and other corporate welfare…
Amen. Want to get pissed about a group getting welfare that needs to be judged, let's start with farmers. Maybe we should get to judge where the cash for their new tractor comes from before we let them have more handouts.
God forbid that a poor family wants to bake their child a birthday cake or get them a treat. nope, Republicans can't be letting that nonsense happen.

Amen. Want to get pissed about a group getting welfare that needs to be judged, let's start with farmers. Maybe we should get to judge where the cash for their new tractor comes from before we let them have more handouts.
God forbid that a poor family wants to bake their child a birthday cake or get them a treat. nope, Republicans can't be letting that nonsense happen.
Exactly….or how exactly they were able to buy those other 150 acres at auction with the obscene prices.

Candy, pop, sugar cereal, and high end meat to start.
I agree with this. Yes, there is a little Republican left in me. Cutting food from children in poverty is awful, but there should be common sense with what the money allows them to buy. High end meat I am assuming you mean ribeyes and pork loins, for example?

Good point.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they would ban flour.

Those ghetto dwelling libtard cucks might use it to make peanut butter chip cookies or pound cake to brighten their miserable existence. Magats won’t allow anyone the slightest bit of happiness since they can’t freely come out as the cockguzzling Brazilian drag queens they really are. Misery wants company.

Elections have consequences.

Put these vindictive fvcks in the Statehouse majority and you get meaningless legislation.

Be warned...the next two years will be some of the worst in the history of Iowa.
This is how Mississippi South has been governed and now Mississippi North is following suit.

Cake mix is $1.39.

Reactions: standiego
I would think all grocery store chains would be against this. They make a large chunk of change on SNAP. I don’t think people realize how expansive the program is, and how common it is in rural Iowa, which is full of many poor people on SNAP(many elderly).

As with the proposed voucher program, many that support these cuts will be the first affected.

Ignorance in the face of partisanship.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT