ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins last tip in in OT was just great hustle positioning

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
For a long time I have lamented on Fran's teams lack of fighting for rebounding position. The last Wisky game is a great example of this lack especially if you look at the second half. Many, many times a hawk was being blocked out by a badger and the hawk settled for that position rather than try to work around the badger player to get at least a neutral rebounding position.

Well yesterday's big tip in was an example of Perkins crashing the boards or just being around the lane and working to get position. He sort of slides in on the baseline and gently carves out a space by moving a sparty player out of the way. And he was up and making a great play.

I think the hawks overall could send four to the offensive boards especially and it would be great to see more quick footwork to enable them to get better rebounding position.

Iowa shot an amazing 75 shots yesterday because they got turnovers and enough offensive rebounds. There were not a lot of defensive rebounds to get when your opponent shoots out of their minds. They could be an even better rebounding team.

In my book Tony has been playing some pretty darn good basketball for a number of games now. He has really stepped up and become more of a leader and go to guy. I really have enjoyed most of his play as of late.
Correct, and I and others were wondering why he went into a funk/slump for several games earlier in the big 10 schedule. He looked like he was put out by the officiating which I can see and that his shot wasnt there. But he has got past that low point by just hard work and great results.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Yes, he had a great box score line, lead the teams in rebounds, scored a ton, good ball handling, a few turnovers but when you are that active and have the ball a lot you are going to have those
Perk showed up. If some of the other guys had his desire to pound the glass and get the tough points this team would have a few more wins. He was taking care of business yesterday.

Rebounding is so much about positioning and timing. Too many players don’t understand this. Perkins is very good at it when he puts his mind to it.
He's a strong kid and moves guys well to get position. Some very strong boards yesterday.

I think about 90% of rebounding is effort, especially on the defensive end. When I was coaching, I could get a good measure of a player’s effort by rebounding, getting your hands on ball, etc. Offensive rebounding has become a lost skill with today’s perimeter game.

On the other big tip in, after the Murray steal and break, did it look to anyone else that the MSU player was trying to foul Kris and was upset it wasn’t called?

Kris got absolutely hacked and of course the whistle was swallowed. Luckily for us though because Perkins was awesome and got the easier two.

Rebounding is so much about positioning and timing. Too many players don’t understand this. Perkins is very good at it when he puts his mind to it.
Perkins quoted after the game saying MSU's Walker was not boxing him out all game and since Rebraca was out he decided to go to the boards.

It makes me wonder if Fran doesnt want his guards crashing the offensive boards very much

Perkins quoted after the game saying MSU's Walker was not boxing him out all game and since Rebraca was out he decided to go to the boards.

It makes me wonder if Fran doesnt want his guards crashing the offensive boards very much

If guards are going to go for offensive rebounds, there needs to be floor balance (someone else to be back on defense). As long as that happens, I assume it would be OK.

Someone back on defense? Lol😉

ok-you-win-on-a-technicality.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT