ADVERTISEMENT

Why was Sandfort and Perkins scoring so low?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I only saw the last 10 minutes and Sandfort and Perkins werent even in that much in that span. Did Perkins just fade away and get benched?

Was Sandfort's shooting just off and he had open looks? Or was Utah really tight on him, and if so did Fran run a lot of double and triple ball screens to get him open shots?

• Sad
Reactions: hawkandroll
Tony really struggled down the stretch of the season, after this stretch of 6 straight games back in January he didn't hit 20+ for the last 12 games. He had 5 games less than 10 pts.

Not sure if he was banged up but he wasn't the same player.

JhmVxqu.jpg

did they run multiple screen sets for him? or the usual passing and dribbling by the arc
Some, but not a bunch. #2 Bajema did a really good job playing defense (what a concept!).

I'm also wondering if the altitude played a role at all. The guys looked to be huffing and puffing more than usual.

Tony really struggled down the stretch of the season, after this stretch of 6 straight games back in January he didn't hit 20+ for the last 12 games. He had 5 games less than 10 pts.

Not sure if he was banged up but he wasn't the same player.

JhmVxqu.jpg
Heard on radio (not last night) he's bothered by, I think, a wrist problem.

Perkins is too passive.
He really didn’t look for his shot at all, no hard drives like we are used to seeing. Maybe he’s got an injury, but to me he just looked uninterested in making any plays. He was looking to pass as soon as he got the ball. Been like that the past few games.

Sandfort is a hot/cold player and last night he was ice. I wish he’d post up or drive and look to score more inside when that happens. But he just kept launching 3 pointers.

He really didn’t look for his shot at all, no hard drives like we are used to seeing. Maybe he’s got an injury, but to me he just looked uninterested in making any plays. He was looking to pass as soon as he got the ball. Been like that the past few games.

Sandfort is a hot/cold player and last night he was ice. I wish he’d post up or drive and look to score more inside when that happens. But he just kept launching 3 pointers.
Sandfort normally shoots 4.5 2's per game and 7.5 3's per game. Last night he shot 6 2's and only 5 3's so I do think he was trying to get himself going inside but just nothing was falling. Also him going inside meant bringing it near 2 7ft tall shot blockers that Utah was playing with. Payton did launch a couple 3's toward the end but at that point it was basically over and they needed points quickly.

Reactions: fivecardstud14

He's not the player he is in his own head.

I only saw the last 10 minutes and Sandfort and Perkins werent even in that much in that span. Did Perkins just fade away and get benched?

Was Sandfort's shooting just off and he had open looks? Or was Utah really tight on him, and if so did Fran run a lot of double and triple ball screens to get him open shots?
Perk got hurt during the Illinois game. Fran said his arm swelled up and he couldn’t shoot for two days.

That being said, Perk also didn’t show much fire or aggressiveness the last 3 games. Maybe it’s due to the injury. My pessimistic reaction was that he was playing like a guy with one foot out the door. I doubt he comes back

Sandfort missed a couple of close shots early when both team were cold, and he also had the great pump fake where two guys bit and clearly fouled him on the way up, but they didn't call it and he missed the layup as a result. It was in his head at that point and he never recovered. Only problem is whenever Dix and Krikke would get a couple buckets to get momentum, Payton would airmail a 3 and stall it out again. Also dealing with that length was unlike anything they've faced this year, or several years probably.

Perkins only took 5 shots I think. So either he was just passive OR his arm was bothering him, in which case Harding should have replaced him not played WITH Perkins. And I don't recall Payton getting a single open look at the basket. As I posted elsewhere, why can't we get guys open and the opponents always get open looks?

Perkins only took 5 shots I think. So either he was just passive OR his arm was bothering him, in which case Harding should have replaced him not played WITH Perkins. And I don't recall Payton getting a single open look at the basket. As I posted elsewhere, why can't we get guys open and the opponents always get open looks?
They know how to play defense.

Sandfort missed a couple of close shots early when both team were cold, and he also had the great pump fake where two guys bit and clearly fouled him on the way up, but they didn't call it and he missed the layup as a result. It was in his head at that point and he never recovered. Only problem is whenever Dix and Krikke would get a couple buckets to get momentum, Payton would airmail a 3 and stall it out again. Also dealing with that length was unlike anything they've faced this year, or several years probably.
Utah guy got two of the 'Sanford fall down on the three' calls and it really messed with his head. Don't remember when it was but he should have had a technical for tossing the ball down the court after a foul.

Reactions: iahawks10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT