ADVERTISEMENT

Personal Property Tax - Freaking Government Scam!!!

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
Just paid the second half of my personal property tax - that's the tax that my County charges for the pleasure of owning vehicles in the County. What a freaking scam! I bought the cars, paid taxes on them, and then have to pay again every year. And now, even though the vehicles keep getting older, their assessed value (the basis for the tax) no longer goes down because of the price of cars keeps going up. So for the one SUV I have that's now 12 years old, I'm paying the same as I was 5 years ago.

Warning, minor humblebrag: You'd think that living in the wealthiest county in the country, they'd have plenty of other sources of revenue/income to tax, and stop charging me for parking vehicles in their county, but noooo.....

I freaking hate paying that bill 2x/yr. And no, there's no discount if you pay it all at once, so I'm not giving them any more than I have to.

I'd vote for damn near anyone if they promised to get rid of my personal property tax!

/rant

Just paid the second half of my personal property tax - that's the tax that my County charges for the pleasure of owning vehicles in the County. What a freaking scam! I bought the cars, paid taxes on them, and then have to pay again every year. And now, even though the vehicles keep getting older, their assessed value (the basis for the tax) no longer goes down because of the price of cars keeps going up. So for the one SUV I have that's now 12 years old, I'm paying the same as I was 5 years ago.

Warning, minor humblebrag: You'd think that living in the wealthiest county in the country, they'd have plenty of other sources of revenue/income to tax, and stop charging me for parking vehicles in their county, but noooo.....

I freaking hate paying that bill 2x/yr. And no, there's no discount if you pay it all at once, so I'm not giving them any more than I have to.

I'd vote for damn near anyone if they promised to get rid of my personal property tax!

/rant
So much this ^^^ I remember buying my first POS vehicle, lady in front of me had some fancy Volvo and paid like the purchase price of my car in taxes. Thank you random milf (no pics), I’ve hated expensive cars ever since.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
So much this ^^^ I remember buying my first POS vehicle, lady in front of me had some fancy Volvo and paid like the purchase price of my car in taxes. Thank you random milf (no pics), I’ve hated expensive cars ever since.
As angry as I am about my two used cars, I can't imagine some of these people with new high-end cars getting their bill and having to come up with like $10k/yr.

Reactions: NCHawk5
A good article on downgrading the value of your property.

Now if you need to keep up with the Jones or plan on selling., HOA etc.
All of the suggested ways may not be for you.

A good article on downgrading the value of your property.

Now if you need to keep up with the Jones or plan on selling., HOA etc.
All of the suggested ways may not be for you.

I've emailed the commissioner of the revenue to find out the assessed values of each car so I can prepare to dispute the values.

It’s robbery. Once you get in a routine, every vehicle that functions without worry of breaking down provides the exact purpose you need it for.
I love fancy new cars, but I love having cars that go for 200k+ miles with minimum repair costs more.

Reactions: NCHawk5
I love fancy new cars, but I love having cars that go for 200k+ miles with minimum repair costs more.
Exactly bud. Change the oil, change the tires, head your way. Idk what level of income would encourage me to eat those costs, but it is more than my mentors, and I have no desire to make their kind of money.

As angry as I am about my two used cars, I can't imagine some of these people with new high-end cars getting their bill and having to come up with like $10k/yr.
EachZestyAlligatorgar-size_restricted.gif

/rant
well, that sounds like some leftist stuff there, tax and spend, tax and spend...

/rant
assuming you are in/near arlington, you left out the part where there is otherwise no local income tax

The Libs always talk about going after the rich by raising the personal income tax. The problem is the rich do not pay income tax. The only way to impact the rich is by capital gains and inheritance tax. And the Libs will not do that because those people donate so much their election campaigns.

What really happens when the Libs raise the income tax is they BF the upper middle class.

I wonder how much extra a monthly bus pass would be in Des Moines if they ran more than once an hour after 6 pm. I am so sick of having to have a car at all.

The Libs always talk about going after the rich by raising the personal income tax. The problem is the rich do not pay income tax. The only way to impact the rich is by capital gains and inheritance tax. And the Libs will not do that because those people donate so much their election campaigns.

What really happens when the Libs raise the income tax is they BF the upper middle class.
It’s a lot more complicated than that bud. Lmao

Exactly bud. Change the oil, change the tires, head your way. Idk what level of income would encourage me to eat those costs, but it is more than my mentors, and I have no desire to make their kind of money.
Buddy and I were talking about the abundance of 90k SUVs in our small NW Iowa town. His assumption was either you have a high enough income to get financed or you have millions so the 90k doesn’t sting because if you got 125k in the bank there’s no fing way you drop 90 of it on a vehicle.

Man, the 2010 car has 215k miles.

94d0887f6ddb32310ed86b6805fbe712.jpg
I know man, but the money grabbers are going to get you. At an annual level, that’s not terrible. Hell, I paid something like $400 for a piece of trash while also paying income taxes. They’ll figure out how to burn you.

Buddy and I were talking about the abundance of 90k SUVs in our small NW Iowa town. His assumption was either you have a high enough income to get financed or you have millions so the 90k doesn’t sting because if you got 125k in the bank there’s no fing way you drop 90 of it on a vehicle.
If you drop 90 on a vehicle… idk that’s just a bad decision unless it’s a semi or other work vehicle, or you’re overloaded with cash.

Some bad news for you, the amount taxed for this is going to be collected one way or another. Personally, I don't see much wrong with a use tax on a non-necessity that is weighted based on the value of the widget

Some bad news for you, the amount taxed for this is going to be collected one way or another. Personally, I don't see much wrong with a use tax on a non-necessity that is weighted based on the value of the widget

"Value" is subjective.

That's the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT