ADVERTISEMENT

Pew pew: Cedar Rapids

Thunderlips71

HR Heisman
Oct 29, 2014
This used to be a nice area with charming older homes, but the riffraff are taking over and ruining the neighborhood.

Instead of politely arguing the merits of their respective positions on the economic and geopolitical consequences, these youth gave in to base instincts and sprayed 20+ bullets about, injuring a student in the process.

This used to be a nice area with charming older homes, but the riffraff are taking over and ruining the neighborhood.

Instead of politely arguing the merits of their respective positions on the economic and geopolitical consequences, these youth gave in to base instincts and sprayed 20+ bullets about, injuring a student in the process.

Makes me sad to hear stuff like this going on in my hometown.

Makes me sad to hear stuff like this going on in my hometown.
Same here. The last few times I’ve been back to Cedar Rapids it really saddens me. Nobody seems to give a damn about the appearance of their homes, yards, or even businesses. There’s been very little recovery since the 1-2 punch of the flood and derecho. The affluent have moved to Robins, Fairfax, Walford, and Marion and the void they’ve left has been filled with goons who have no problem with wanton gun violence.

• Haha
Reactions: Rudolph
It’s ridiculous that some people feel the need to use guns in such careless and potentially harmful manner

whatever happened to good ole fashioned wholesome fist fights . No weapons
Lots of reasons, but, the non stop march for the last 30 years to loosen gun laws has not helped. Everyone has a gun these days. I've posted this before, one of my wife's cousins is a 20 year cop. He told me he now assumes on every call he responds to / traffic stop he initiates that someone will have a gun.

Same here. The last few times I’ve been back to Cedar Rapids it really saddens me. Nobody seems to give a damn about the appearance of their homes, yards, or even businesses. There’s been very little recovery since the 1-2 punch of the flood and derecho. The affluent have moved to Robins, Fairfax, Walford, and Marion and the void they’ve left has been filled with goons who have no problem with wanton gun violence.
….and Hiawatha.

Lots of reasons, but, the non stop march for the last 30 years to loosen gun laws has not helped. Everyone has a gun these days. I've posted this before, one of my wife's cousins is a 20 year cop. He told me he now assumes on every call he responds to / traffic stop he initiates that someone will have a gun.
Hate to break it to you but gun laws have not been loosened over the last 30 years. 30 years ago you could walk into a gun shop and buy a gun without a background check. 20 years ago you could buy pistol without a permit. A concealed carry law isn't why thugs are shooting each other in CR.

If more people had guns and less home security cameras these incidents would be resolved the right way….see something….shoot something as they used to say in the old west! Pew pew pew!

Hate to break it to you but gun laws have not been loosened over the last 30 years. 30 years ago you could walk into a gun shop and buy a gun without a background check. 20 years ago you could buy pistol without a permit. A concealed carry law isn't why thugs are shooting each other in CR.

You really have no idea.

The old GOP talking point about good guys with guns stopping bad guys with guns has been proven inaccurate.
Uvalde proved that.

But I realize those Republican reelection campaign accounts don't fill themselves.

You really have no idea.

The old GOP talking point about good guys with guns stopping bad guys with guns has been proven inaccurate.
Uvalde proved that.

But I realize those Republican reelection campaign accounts don't fill themselves.
No idea about what? You think allowing concealed carry without a permit is why this shooting occurred?
One of hrot resident geniuses made a statement about gun laws loosening over the last 30 years when he's 100% wrong. Facts should matter no?

Reactions: NCHawk5
I'm aware of the law. Bet you don't realize not having a permit means you need a new background check with every purchase, HG or otherwise?
What did this have to do with the shooting in CR?

Deplorable is as always, completely wrong and spreading misinformation in the name of a movement that died in 1991.

The older homes in Cedar Rapids have indeed fallen on hard times - older homes and neighborhoods obviously get older every year and are less desirable, property values decrease and the residents that can now afford them aren't into spending money on maintenance.

But to say there has been no "recovery since the flood and derecho" is off base. The construction and development aren't Des Moines-like, but it has been extensive. A friend that used to live in CR 20 years ago visited yesterday and she couldn't believe all the improvements.

White flight. Wealth concentration. Urban core tax money shifts outward to development of white flight areas. Disinvested areas become concentrated poverty. And we’re supposed to be surprised by the issues typical to concentrated areas of disinvestment and poverty that pop up?

This story is incredibly prevalent and consistent in our nation’s history, but pretty much common to anywhere and everywhere in the world. Wether it’s violence, mental health issues, food desert issues, addiction, etc — it’s not only easy to diagnose the socioeconomic causes, but also fairly easy to problem-solve.

We even have politicians who not only understand how to address this stuff, both proactively and reactively, but have a record of doing so.

SMH.

Was this a chicago type person doing the shooting?
Look at you once again trafficking in bigot-style broad-brush characterizations.

It’s fascinating that you hold yourself up as being high-standard with your posting style, yet express so many lazy, trope-style opinions. In fact, that’s your default.

You lump all pols together, all libs together, all Germans together, and here, all chicagoans together. You combine this with a staggering propensity of freely making completely wild, unfounded, indefensible accusations of people.

Again, this is your default posting style. To top it all off? When proven wrong, like, objectively without-a-shadow-of-a-doubt wrong, you still maintain that you’re not wrong.

Fascinating.

Look at you once again trafficking in bigot-style broad-brush characterizations.

It’s fascinating that you hold yourself up as being high-standard with your posting style, yet express so many lazy, trope-style opinions. In fact, that’s your default.

You lump all pols together, all libs together, all Germans together, and here, all chicagoans together. You combine this with a staggering propensity of freely making completely wild, unfounded, indefensible accusations of people.

Again, this is your default posting style. To top it all off? When proven wrong, like, objectively without-a-shadow-of-a-doubt wrong, you still maintain that you’re not wrong.

Fascinating.
In all fairness your reasoning for some of the issues in CR was pretty broadbrush itself.
Are you familiar with these areas in CR? None of your statement really applies. Plenty of "whites" still live in all neighborhoods in downtown CR. There are 2 Hyvees within a mile or two of this area. Jobs opportunities are overall very good in CR. Investment in downtown has been a big focus in the last decade.
It's also no secret some of the Chicago transplants have brought some extra problems to CR.
Not every issue in every city follows your preferred formula.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
But to say there has been no "recovery since the flood and derecho" is off base. The construction and development aren't Des Moines-like, but it has been extensive. A friend that used to live in CR 20 years ago visited yesterday and she couldn't believe all the improvements.
Was going to say this same thing. Saying there's been no recovery after those events is just completely inaccurate.

Eh. Crime took a bit of a step back in 2021. There were always rough areas, even back in the 80s/90s when I was growing up there. It just cycles through to different areas. I grew up on the NE side not too far from Kennedy HS. NE side isn't as nice as it used to be, I suppose.

But I feel like everybody has been perpetually arguing the city is going to hell. As long as I can remember. I think it's mostly derived from their little sphere of experience in CR morphing. Composition, as a whole, doesn't seem that different, though.

In all fairness your reasoning for some of the issues in CR was pretty broadbrush itself.
Are you familiar with these areas in CR? None of your statement really applies. Plenty of "whites" still live in all neighborhoods in downtown CR. There are 2 Hyvees within a mile or two of this area. Jobs opportunities are overall very good in CR. Investment in downtown has been a big focus in the last decade.
It's also no secret some of the Chicago transplants have brought some extra problems to CR.
Not every issue in every city follows your preferred formula.
That’s why I included wealth concentration as a qualifier. What’s left behind often includes whites when “white flight” and/or wealth (re)concentration happens. Absolutely nothing about my argument is negated by your post.

Yes, transplants are typically part of the story. Housing in disinvested areas affords greater turnover, lower barrier to entry, etc.

You’re not teaching me anything.

Fascinating.
It was a joke dude.

That’s why I included wealth concentration as a qualifier. What’s left behind often includes whites when “white flight” and/or wealth (re)concentration happens. Absolutely nothing about my argument is negated by your post.

Yes, transplants are typically part of the story. Housing in disinvested areas affords greater turnover, lower barrier to entry, etc.

You’re not teaching me anything.
Yes we know, you're a redistribute advocate. But the people doing this shit aren't working 2 jobs just trying to get by, or unable to find work so they're poor and desperate thus resorting to violence. Not in CR. There's jobs to be had and the ability to make an honest living.
Is it possible there's just a few hundred really shitty human beings living in CR that have zero value of human life? Similar to about any medium sized city in the country?

Ah, got it. Albeit a joke rooted in bigotry. Hard to tell given your style.
Lol it’s rooted in making fun of bigots- but whatever makes you feel better to justify your own bigot beliefs.

What bigot beliefs do you claim me to maintain? Please list them. Thanks.
So desperate to defend his white sin that he needs to have micro aggressions and implicit bias explained to him. Hilarious that you think the rules don’t apply to you.

So desperate to defend his white sin that he needs to have micro aggressions and implicit bias explained to him. Hilarious that you think the rules don’t apply to you.
No, this is also made up. If this happened, show me. You can’t because it didn’t.

You’re a liar, NC. And a lazy one, at that.

No, this is also made up. If this happened, show me. You can’t because it didn’t.

Give him a break. He won't remember any of this tomorrow and will claim he got hacked.

No. It’s simply reality that as a white man of your age and background, you have implicit bias- and here’s the thing, I can’t prove it because it’s implicit.

No. It’s simply reality that as a white man of your age and background, you have implicit bias- and here’s the thing, I can’t prove it because it’s implicit.
Lol. You made direct and repeated accusations, NC. I listed them above. Shall I list them again? You claimed there exists explicit proof supporting your accusations, so I kindly asked you to share this proof.

Now you’re lying again.

This is not at all what Buddhism teaches, NC.

Lol. You made direct and repeated accusations, NC. I listed them above. Shall I list them again? You claimed there exists explicit proof supporting your accusations, so I kindly asked you to share this proof.

Now you’re lying again.

This is not at all what Buddhism teaches, NC.
I have not been a Buddhist for very long. I was a practicing Muslim up until the pandemic.

For perhaps the first time ever I’m an insider on this one. Taught a class today and in that class was a close relative of this young man. He was running along and heard the shots, fell to the ground and got up bleeding. A teacher from a local school scooped him up and took him to a school, where they called a truck to take him to the hospital. It was basically just a scratch but it scared the crap out of him apparently. They didn’t even put stitches in him

She said he’s your basic nerd that does two things. He runs and he goes to school. That’s his life so he wasn’t involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT