ADVERTISEMENT

PFF names Cooper as 5th best returning cornerback

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005

5. COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA HAWKEYES

DeJean does it all for Iowa’s defense.

The sophomore was the only corner in the country with 85-plus grades both in coverage and as a run-defender. His five interceptions were tied for fourth among Power Five corners while his 15 run-defense stops were tied for the most among all corners in the country.

I’m ok with keeping him in the defensive backfield and punt returning only. Offensive players are more susceptible to concussions. We saw how much he is missed the last time he was concussed. Too valuable doing the returning and db. Not that he can’t get a concussion doing these two things.

Frankly, I think they are underestimating him at #5. I would not trade him for the four ahead of him.
This! Add in his remarkable position flexibility (on defense and presumably offense if ever needed), special teams production, and leadership/culture-setter, he is far more valuable than where he’s listed.

Not to lump additional pressure his way - none intended. Simply recognition that he is an incredible talent, and by all accounts I’m aware of, and incredible teammate.

Reactions: Bishop1971
This! Add in his remarkable position flexibility (on defense and presumably offense if ever needed), special teams production, and leadership/culture-setter, he is far more valuable than where he’s listed.

Not to lump additional pressure his way - none intended. Simply recognition that he is an incredible talent, and by all accounts I’m aware of, and incredible teammate.
Absolutely hit the nail on the head. The fact that he can play ANY position in the secondary ... that gives Phil all sorts of schematic flexibility. The fact that he got 5 interceptions in his first year starting ... that's pretty incredible. Lastly, he was playing opposite Riley Moss ... so you'd expect folks to go more after him ... and yet they usually didn't. The fact that a first year starter can elicit that level of respect is pretty impressive.

Then, just as you said, the special teams contributions are enormous. All the times he helped down the ball within the 10 yard line. When given a chance to return ... he was electric.

But maybe the most impressive thing about Cooper is that for a DB in his first year starting ... his run-fills were really impressive. I know that it is pretty standard for Iowa DBs to do a good job against the run ... but Cooper is even on the superlative side of the spectrum in that regard.

When the ball is in his hands, I always figure he’s gonna house it.
I seem to vaguely remember a bunch of comments/threads on here a few years ago when he had just signed re: the supposed "level of competition" he faced in high school and the perception that he was just a small-town guy and possibly not all that good. I suppose that sort of concern was valid at the time, but he sure has proved his critics wrong.

5. COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA HAWKEYES

DeJean does it all for Iowa’s defense.

The sophomore was the only corner in the country with 85-plus grades both in coverage and as a run-defender. His five interceptions were tied for fourth among Power Five corners while his 15 run-defense stops were tied for the most among all corners in the country.

The combine will be a disaster like it was for Moss. Hawks cannot cover man on man. The 30 yd drop back zone works vs bad teams and qbs. Not vs real talent. You can hide.

The combine will be a disaster like it was for Moss. Hawks cannot cover man on man. The 30 yd drop back zone works vs bad teams and qbs. Not vs real talent. You can hide.
Huh? What in the world are you talking about? Moss hasn't even been to the combine yet.

Moss will, most likely, test VERY well. So the testing side of the combine will likely go VERY well for Moss. Furthermore, Moss will likely do very well in meetings too. Moss has quite a bit of film on him being on an island ... and he's held up pretty well.

However, that said, you're not entirely wrong. Iowa's schemes in the secondary are zone and match-zone heavy. Phil wants his guys to have "zone-eyes" ... that leads to lots of picks and a faster reaction in run-support. Consequently, Iowa DBs are somewhat reliant upon landing in the right NFL organization. Our most established record is for developing slot-corners and safeties. All the same ... we have a bunch of DBs in the pros that are getting paid ... many of whom have gotten WELL paid!

"He for sure could justifiably get some offensive reps."
With this coaching staff? That's just crazy talk.

Idk if you've watched Iowa football over the last 10 years, but Iowa plays an awful lot of man coverage. They hide it often by playing in a disguise Tampa 2 with the CB's giving a cushion, but they typically play in a man assignment. Iowa safeties typically play in a deep drop back zone.

Also...Moss was getting a lot of positive publicity during practices at the Senior Bowl. Crusader has no clue.
That was what i was going to say. Moss was good and showed that db might be his position after all. Funny hearing an idiot trash moss by talking about how bad his combine was when ot hadn't even happened yet. Lol.

My only guess would be that BHCrusader is talking about the 2-3 negative plays Moss had at the Senior Bowl practices. He got absolutely trucked on 1 run play at the goal line and looked pretty bad on a couple 1 on 1 plays (maybe one v a Husker)

Moss will be fine in the NFL but we should all remember how many Hawk fans were calling him complete trash in his first couple years at Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
"He for sure could justifiably get some offensive reps."
With this coaching staff? That's just crazy talk.
You’re absolutely right, which is upsetting.

He appears to be one of those “rare talent” types. A dominant season for him is in store.

Vs bad teams ... ya maybe

LOL….yes these magazines put out projections vs bad team only, not….. I really am embarrassed for you, you’re not self-aware enough to realize how these kind of comments make you look… I’m just surprised that a person who clearly is trying to screw with people isn’t smart enough to understand how out loud thoughts like these reflect on him!

Good for us I guess, super bad for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971

Again aren’t people even remotely embarrassed by the nonsensical things they say…..countless DBs of the year in the BIG, countless NFL DBs and some dumb ass pops in with this….

Seriously I would never say anything so easily laughed at….it’s just epically stupid. If you’re going to troll try not to look so incompetent….

The same morons who were sure that Greg Mabin was a bad bad bad college cornerback.

Mabin has now spent 6 years in the NFL, played in 45 games, and has made $3M.

Bingo…. Lots of former Iowa players that were “trash” that ended up playing in the NFL for a season or two.

My favorite was Riley McCarron…many of the same dopes that constantly bashed the coaches complained routinely about him playing and not being a BIG 10 WR…

Then at his pro day, he promptly runs an 4.3 forty and suddenly the same idiots couldn’t understand how badly the coaches miss used him and he should’ve got more balls thrown ha way lol….

I mean, you just can’t make that level of stupid up!

You’re absolutely right, which is upsetting.

He appears to be one of those “rare talent” types. A dominant season for him is in store.

The first time they over use him on offense and gets hurt, I’m going to be pissed just so u know….

Return punts, cover punts and a game changer on Defense and you guys want to increase his exposure to injury….

Fortunately you aren’t the coach!

Riley playing against some nfl talent wr's definitely showed he could play db and also proved his speed. He had far more good plays than alluded to and every db had a couple mistakes. Moss is a quality tackler besides so no problem there. His combine will be exceptional as everyone is predicting and he'll be drafted. He's going to get his shot at db and has the speed, vert, and coaching to be an NFL mainstay for awhile. The trolling has definitely fallen off over the years but has bottomed out now. The days of StateCollegeMan are long passed unfortunately. Maybe if we pound penn st he could make a comeback and challenge everyone to test his mma abilities unless someone beat him to death already. I miss him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT