ADVERTISEMENT

PFF ranks Cooper #1 CB in the draft

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005

2024 NFL Draft Position Rankings: Cornerbacks​

DeJean-Cooper-Alamy-scaled.jpg

2RWN74E Iowa defensive back Cooper DeJean (3) returns a punt during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Western Michigan, Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023, in Iowa City, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

1. CB COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA

BIG BOARD RANK: 8

DeJean is one of the most well-rounded athletes in college football. He can play outside cornerback, slot cornerback and even safety due to his size (6-foot-1 and 205 pounds) and speed combo. He also has some of the best ball skills of any defensive back in the class. He's one of the draft's top playmakers.

4. CB KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY, ALABAMA

BIG BOARD RANK: 19

McKinstry has shutdown CB1 potential. For schemes that rely on more man coverage, he's very comfortable playing in press and with his back to the ball. Plus, he has one of the highest forced incompletion totals in the country over the past two seasons.

After the combine (if he's 100% healthy) his stock is going to climb even higher.

Many scouts probably haven't seen him in person yet, and have only seen his highlights.

I definitely don't see him sliding past Miami at #21, and suspect he's gone by pick #12.

Reactions: shudaddy
After the combine (if he's 100% healthy) his stock is going to climb even higher.

Many scouts probably haven't seen him in person yet, and have only seen his highlights.

I definitely don't see him sliding past Miami at #21, and suspect he's gone by pick #12.
Assuming he's back at full health, he'll test well for his size & speed combo. I think he'll measure/test similar to Iowa's only top-10 DB pick(Tommy Knight at 6ft/202lbs), but Coop's a much better overall player.

His versatility to play slot corner or safety, stay with receivers/tackle bigger RBs, return punts/be punt gunner....makes him a coveted draft asset.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
For better or worse his draft position is heavily tied to his 40 time. If it is 4.4 or lower, he will sky rocket, above 4.5 he will fall significantly.

Been 20 years since a white CB has started in the NFL.
Safeties have a higher annual salary than cornerbacks, by $200K.

Defensive backs who can play corner, nickel, safety and return kicks are a rarity and very valuable. Only three active DBs (all CBs) regularly returned kicks in the NFL (one of them is Desmond King). The rest were WRs and RBs.

Coop will do more than fine in the NFL.

PS. The three highest average salaries in the NFL are : 1. Left Tackle. 2. Right Tackle. 3. QB.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
Safeties have a higher annual salary than cornerbacks, by $200K.

Defensive backs who can play corner, nickel, safety and return kicks are a rarity and very valuable. Only three active DBs (all CBs) regularly returned kicks in the NFL (one of them is Desmond King). The rest were WRs and RBs.

Coop will do more than fine in the NFL.

PS. The three highest average salaries in the NFL are : 1. Left Tackle. 2. Right Tackle. 3. QB.

This is a bit misleading because there are more CBs on NFL rosters there's more minimum guys.

If you take CB1, CB2, NB on every team versus 2 starting safeties

You get 7.7 million for CBs versus 6.7 million for Safeties.

If you exclude NB and just do top two versus top two.

You get 9.36 million versus 6.7 million.

Top tier CBs make way more.

Reactions: ichawk24
Here are links of top 35 salaries at safety and CB for 2023. Compare similarly ranked guys, like #5, #10, #20, and #30, and the cornerbacks are always around $2M higher.

Here are links of top 35 salaries at safety and CB for 2023. Compare similarly ranked guys, like #5, #10, #20, and #30, and the cornerbacks are always around $2M higher.

Most all NFL teams have 10 defensive backs on their rosters, including 53 man and practice. That's 320 DBs to make up the average.

I don’t have a NFL team, so I hope Coop gets drafted to a team without any other Hawks so I have another team to root for. Go Hawks in the NFL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT