ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Parker's Salary is now $1.4M; LeVar Woods up to $700K

Yeah, I've heard that repeatedly but he was the S&C coach, not the OL coach. Amen on your point about how the rest of the team including dline and TE have done just fine or even better under RB. I doubt he just tossed out the OL workout programs and started from scratch when he got the job, they have looked like they don't even know who to block at times and that's not a S&C thing. The people who prop up Doyle also conveniently omit that he was part of his share of lines that just weren't that great in his 21 seasons on staff.

I know Kirk called him the best assistant on staff AINEC but when you have to depend on bullying, belittling, and physical abuse like stepping on players fingers to get results you just aren't as good of a coach as many think you are. The fact Kirk cut him loose so fast and it's 3 years later and no other college program has given him a shot speaks volumes. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

I really hope we see why Kirk has remained confident in Barnett this year

Bingo and outstanding follow up. Braithwaite has done an excellent job!

Yeah, I've heard that repeatedly but he was the S&C coach, not the OL coach. Amen on your point about how the rest of the team including dline and TE have done just fine or even better under RB. I doubt he just tossed out the OL workout programs and started from scratch when he got the job, they have looked like they don't even know who to block at times and that's not a S&C thing. The people who prop up Doyle also conveniently omit that he was part of his share of lines that just weren't that great in his 21 seasons on staff.

I know Kirk called him the best assistant on staff AINEC but when you have to depend on bullying, belittling, and physical abuse like stepping on players fingers to get results you just aren't as good of a coach as many think you are. The fact Kirk cut him loose so fast and it's 3 years later and no other college program has given him a shot speaks volumes. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

I really hope we see why Kirk has remained confident in Barnett this year

I’ll also add in the spirit of you and I arguing over the last couple years we really aren’t that far away. I am not at all unhappy that Doyle is gone and I am equally concerned that Brian Ferentz was an extreme prick…

I think we probably differentiate on Brian’s abilities and the fact that I think his Dad handcuffs him and I hope against hope that Brian has learned his lesson.

If I had my preference, I would hope Brian was gone even though I don’t necessarily think he is the problem! We clearly over the last couple years over evaluated our offensive line and our quarterback situation, and that comes from the head coach above all else!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Zero chance.

You don't go from a special teams coach to the head coach.

He needs to be a defensive coordinator before he goes to head coach.
This may have been true in the past but not in the game today. Head coaches are more personnel managers than anything. Recruiting, NIL, PR, donors, and more take up so much time there is hardly time to coach football in the traditional sense. Kirk is old school enough to try and have 1 foot on the field and the other in the "boardroom" but the next guy will be younger and perhaps more in step with the emerging new game of coaching big-time football.

I’ll also add in the spirit of you and I arguing over the last couple years we really aren’t that far away. I am not at all unhappy that Doyle is gone and I am equally concerned that Brian Ferentz was an extreme prick…

I think we probably differentiate on Brian’s abilities and the fact that I think his Dad handcuffs him and I hope against hope that Brian has learned his lesson.

If I had my preference, I would hope Brian was gone even though I don’t necessarily think he is the problem! We clearly over the last couple years over evaluated our offensive line and our quarterback situation, and that comes from the head coach above all else!
Brian could be a prick, but I can tell you as OC I have not seen him tear into players on the sideline. Even say a bad pick thrown, there was no ass chewing going on.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Woods salary was $440,000 just two years ago. Braithwaite was at $425,000 just two seasons ago; he's now at $725,000.

The story:

Iowa football coaches' salaries for 2023 season: Phil Parker's pay bumps to $1.4 million

Chad Leistikow and Steve Berkowitz
Des Moines Register
July 13, 2023

For the past two years, defense and special teams have been at the center of securing a collective 18-9 record for the Iowa football program despite a historically anemic offense.

The earmarked assistant-coach salaries for the 2023 season reflect that current program identity. The dollar figures for what head coach Kirk Ferentz pays his 10 full-time assistants and strength coach were obtained Thursday via an open-records request by the USA TODAY Sports Network.

Defensive coordinator Phil Parker remains the only million-dollar assistant coach in state history. He will earn $1.4 million plus bonuses for the upcoming season, an increase of $100,000 over his base pay last year.

Special-teams coordinator LeVar Woods got one of the healthiest salary bumps on staff, a 12% boost that brings his annual pay to $700,000.

Meanwhile, Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz – the head coach’s oldest son – had his $50,000 pay cut reflected in the public-records request. Ferentz’s contract was amended this offseason by outgoing athletics director Gary Barta, his direct supervisor, after Iowa compiled the worst yards-per-game output of any Power Five school since 2014 and the program's worst since 1978. Brian Ferentz’s offense must average at least 25 points in 2023 and Iowa must win seven games to earn a raise and a two-year contract extension; otherwise, his contract is unlikely to be renewed.

Here is the summary of the 11 new salaries for Iowa football in 2023, sorted by dollar amount:

• Phil Parker, defensive coordinator/defensive backs, $1.4 million (up from $1.3 million, a 7.7% increase)
  • Brian Ferentz, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, $850,000 (down from $900,000, a 5.6% decrease)
  • Seth Wallace, assistant defensive coordinator/linebackers, $755,000 (up from $700,000, a 7.9% increase)
  • Raimond Braithwaite, strength and conditioning, $725,000 (up from $675,000, a 7.4% increase)
  • LeVar Woods, special teams coordinator, $700,000 (up from $625,000, a 12% increase)
  • George Barnett, offensive line, $645,000 (up from $600,000, a 7.5% increase)
  • Kelvin Bell, defensive line, $620,000 (up from $575,000, a 7.8% increase)
  • Kelton Copeland, wide receivers, $495,000 (up from $460,000, a 7.6% increase)
  • Jay Niemann, assistant defensive line/recruiting, $495,000 (up from $460,000, a 7.6% increase)
  • Ladell Betts, running backs/recruiting, $410,000 (up from $380,000, a 7.9% increase)
  • Abdul Hodge, tight ends, $325,000 (up from $275,000, a 15.4% increase)

Another notable observation in this salary pool is that Wallace is the third-highest-paid member of the staff. Wallace is a 10th-year assistant and Parker’s right-hand man for a defense that ranked No. 1 nationally in yards-per-play against in 2022 and No. 2 in yardage and scoring defense.

Woods, who is revered for the production of all of his special-teams units and brings back an all-American punter in Tory Taylor, has seen his salary go up from $440,000 just two years ago.

And Braithwaite, who took over as strength coach from longtime Ferentz loyalist Chris Doyle after the 2020 racial-bias saga, has quickly risen the pay ranks. He was at $425,000 just two seasons ago, a $300,000 annual boost in that time.

So how does Barnett get a raise when his OL was a revolving door last year that hampered the offense? BF and Barnett should both get a salary cut based upon what has transpired over the past few years.

Reactions: blhawk
Brian could be a prick, but I can tell you as OC I have not seen him tear into players on the sideline. Even say a bad pick thrown, there was no ass chewing going on.
What's yelling going to do at that point? He knew (at least we think he knew) the offense was hopeless, and nothing, other than a complete overhaul, would fix it. As well, yelling at the offense would have been like yelling at the mirror.

On Dec. 8, 2022 you don't find Phil on this list.

Highest paid Defensive Coordinators in the Nation:

Jim Knowles, Ohio State defensive coordinator, $1,900,000

Barry Odom, Arkansas defensive coordinator, $1,850,000

Matt House, LSU defensive coordinator, $1,800,000

Tosh Lupoi, Oregon defensive coordinator, $1,735,000

Pete Golding, Alabama defensive coordinator, $1,725,000

Pete Kwiatkowski, Texas defensive coordinator, $1,700,000

D.J. Durkin, Texas A&M defensive coordinator, $1,500,000

Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin defensive coordinator, $1,500,000

PP should be THE highest paid DC in the country, he has done nothing but save KF's arse.

John Harbaugh is just one example of going from special teams coach to head coach. John was never an offensive or defensive coordinator. He started his coaching career as a running backs/outside linebackers coach at Western Michigan in 1984. He was an assistant at the college level with Pittsburgh, Morehead State and Cincinnati before joining the Philadelphia Eagles as special teams coach in 1998. From 1998-2007 (with Philadelphia), he was the Special Teams coach. In his 10th and final year with the Eagles he was the secondary coach. In Jan, 2008, he was announced as the new Ravens Head Football Coach. This is his 16th season as Head Coach in Baltimore .

Here is a really good article titled Why Special Teams Coordinators make Good Head Coach Candidates.

Woods for HC, he has proven that he can take a group of athletes and turn them into a force, while being creative in schemes.

As much as I like Woods, Iowa has what is quickly becoming a great staff. Hodge and Betts have done pretty damn well with recruiting already. I can't say I am a fan of what Barnett and Copeland have done.

As much as I like Woods, Iowa has what is quickly becoming a great staff. Hodge and Betts have done pretty damn well with recruiting already. I can't say I am a fan of what Barnett and Copeland have done.
Just talking about recruiting....

Copeland probably has one of the toughest jobs in P5.. Have some young guys coming in with potential. Hopefully they stick around and develop into useful pieces..

As far as Barnett goes, I like Lauck and Leighton Jones in last year's class. I like McCaslin,Nolan, and Fox, in this year's class.

Reactions: squeezebox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT