ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Parker's Salary is now $1.4M; LeVar Woods up to $700K

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Woods salary was $440,000 just two years ago. Braithwaite was at $425,000 just two seasons ago; he's now at $725,000.

The story:

Iowa football coaches' salaries for 2023 season: Phil Parker's pay bumps to $1.4 million

Chad Leistikow and Steve Berkowitz
Des Moines Register
July 13, 2023

For the past two years, defense and special teams have been at the center of securing a collective 18-9 record for the Iowa football program despite a historically anemic offense.

The earmarked assistant-coach salaries for the 2023 season reflect that current program identity. The dollar figures for what head coach Kirk Ferentz pays his 10 full-time assistants and strength coach were obtained Thursday via an open-records request by the USA TODAY Sports Network.

Defensive coordinator Phil Parker remains the only million-dollar assistant coach in state history. He will earn $1.4 million plus bonuses for the upcoming season, an increase of $100,000 over his base pay last year.

Special-teams coordinator LeVar Woods got one of the healthiest salary bumps on staff, a 12% boost that brings his annual pay to $700,000.

Meanwhile, Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz – the head coach’s oldest son – had his $50,000 pay cut reflected in the public-records request. Ferentz’s contract was amended this offseason by outgoing athletics director Gary Barta, his direct supervisor, after Iowa compiled the worst yards-per-game output of any Power Five school since 2014 and the program's worst since 1978. Brian Ferentz’s offense must average at least 25 points in 2023 and Iowa must win seven games to earn a raise and a two-year contract extension; otherwise, his contract is unlikely to be renewed.

Here is the summary of the 11 new salaries for Iowa football in 2023, sorted by dollar amount:

• Phil Parker, defensive coordinator/defensive backs, $1.4 million (up from $1.3 million, a 7.7% increase)
  • Brian Ferentz, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, $850,000 (down from $900,000, a 5.6% decrease)
  • Seth Wallace, assistant defensive coordinator/linebackers, $755,000 (up from $700,000, a 7.9% increase)
  • Raimond Braithwaite, strength and conditioning, $725,000 (up from $675,000, a 7.4% increase)
  • LeVar Woods, special teams coordinator, $700,000 (up from $625,000, a 12% increase)
  • George Barnett, offensive line, $645,000 (up from $600,000, a 7.5% increase)
  • Kelvin Bell, defensive line, $620,000 (up from $575,000, a 7.8% increase)
  • Kelton Copeland, wide receivers, $495,000 (up from $460,000, a 7.6% increase)
  • Jay Niemann, assistant defensive line/recruiting, $495,000 (up from $460,000, a 7.6% increase)
  • Ladell Betts, running backs/recruiting, $410,000 (up from $380,000, a 7.9% increase)
  • Abdul Hodge, tight ends, $325,000 (up from $275,000, a 15.4% increase)

Another notable observation in this salary pool is that Wallace is the third-highest-paid member of the staff. Wallace is a 10th-year assistant and Parker’s right-hand man for a defense that ranked No. 1 nationally in yards-per-play against in 2022 and No. 2 in yardage and scoring defense.

Woods, who is revered for the production of all of his special-teams units and brings back an all-American punter in Tory Taylor, has seen his salary go up from $440,000 just two years ago.

And Braithwaite, who took over as strength coach from longtime Ferentz loyalist Chris Doyle after the 2020 racial-bias saga, has quickly risen the pay ranks. He was at $425,000 just two seasons ago, a $300,000 annual boost in that time.

Last edited:
Zero chance.

You don't go from a special teams coach to the head coach.

He needs to be a defensive coordinator before he goes to head coach.
This guy disagrees….

nick-siranni.gif

IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa Moon Family head football coach Kirk Ferentz is one of 21 head coaches named to the 2023 Dodd Trophy Preseason Watch List. The announcement was made Thursday by the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Foundation and Peach Bowl, Inc.

The Dodd Trophy, college football’s most coveted national coaching award, celebrates the head coach of a team who enjoys success on the gridiron, while also stressing the importance of scholarship, leadership and integrity — the three pillars of legendary coach Bobby Dodd’s coaching philosophy.

The watch list was created through a selection process by the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Foundation and Peach Bowl, Inc., taking into consideration each program’s graduation rate, commitment to service and charity in the community, projected success for the 2023 season and Academic Progress Rate (APR).

Ferentz is heading into his 25th season as Iowa’s head coach, the longest tenured head coach in college football. Ferentz has coached 13 individual national award winners and 85 NFL Draft selections during his tenure. He became Iowa’s winningest head coach on Sept. 1, 2018, and earned Big Ten win No. 100 with a 41-21 victory at Penn State in 2020.

Ferentz has led the Hawkeyes to a 186-115 overall record, including a 115-83 Big Ten Conference record. Ferentz is tied for third in the Big Ten Conference for league wins and ranks fourth in total victories. Iowa posted an 8-5 mark in 2022, winning the Music City Bowl.

Ferentz has led the Hawkeyes to 20 bowl invitations, including 12 January bowl game appearances. Iowa has won 10 or more games seven times under his direction and has been ranked in the final Top 25 rankings four of the last five seasons.

Ferentz was named the Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year in 2015. He has been named Big Ten Coach of the Year four times (2002, 2004, 2009, 2015) and was named the Woody Hayes and Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year in 2015, as well.

The 21 coaches joining Ferentz on the preseason list represent Arkansas, Alabama, Baylor, Boise State, Clemson, Florida State, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulane, UCF, Utah and Wake Forest.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Zero chance.

It would be odd for sure. Didn't the Jets or someone hire an st coach to head coach the last few years? I could be remember wrong though....

Reactions: Franisdaman
Kirk must strongly disagree with all those on here that keep saying the OL struggles are because Doyle is gone. $300k in raises in 2 years is pretty damn impressive for Braithwaite. Good for him

Ummmmm Nick Sirianni?

And why would he disagree?

He was the OC for the Colts before he came to the Eagles.

He's literally moved up in the coaching tree like most coaches.
Thought he went from ST coach to head coach or am I confusing him with some other current head coach?

Zero chance.

Was Shane Beamer an OC or DC before earning the South Carolina HC job?

Dabo Swinney spent 6-7 games as an OC in his career.
When he was named as the interm HC at Clemson, he fired the current OC and took over those duties until being named the perm HC at the end of the year.

It's rare to go from a position coach/ST coordinator to a P5 HC position, but it has happened and will happen again...

Last edited:
Kirk must strongly disagree with all those on here that keep saying the OL struggles are because Doyle is gone. $300k in raises in 2 years is pretty damn impressive for Braithwaite. Good for him

Well, I will point out… Two different thoughts, I’ve had a pretty good fan point out that Doyle was extremely focused on the offensive line, so maybe he deserved more credit for the Oline, success that anybody else, including Kirk with that said, our defense has never been faster, stronger or more physical and I assume maybe we’ve really drilled down and identified what we’re looking for on defense recruiting wise, but strength and conditioning is team wide and we don’t have any problems on defense or special teams just on offense!

On a sidenote boys, we’ve got the Hog Humper who loves Hawk D on the run…..He has switched names again, and laughing it up all over the place. He is mad as hell.

😎

Sidenote question...if KF had to take an extended leave of abscense...who would be named as the interm HC?
Interesting question, but also kinda silly. At 68 yo, any type of situation that would cause KF to consider an extended leave of absence would likely just result in his retirement.

But for fun, I'm sure Phil Parker would have right of first refusal.

On a sidenote boys, we’ve got the Hog Humper who loves Hawk D on the run…..He has switched names again, and laughing it up all over the place. He is mad as hell.

😎
Okay, I will admit that I "laugh emoji'd" the shat out of a few morons in this thread, but I am not the Hog Humping 'braska brat the masturbates all over the free board here

Reactions: cmhawks99
Zero chance.

It would be odd for sure. Didn't the Jets or someone hire an st coach to head coach the last few years? I could be remember wrong though....

John Harbaugh is just one example of going from special teams coach to head coach. John was never an offensive or defensive coordinator. He started his coaching career as a running backs/outside linebackers coach at Western Michigan in 1984. He was an assistant at the college level with Pittsburgh, Morehead State and Cincinnati before joining the Philadelphia Eagles as special teams coach in 1998. From 1998-2007 (with Philadelphia), he was the Special Teams coach. In his 10th and final year with the Eagles he was the secondary coach. In Jan, 2008, he was announced as the new Ravens Head Football Coach. This is his 16th season as Head Coach in Baltimore .

Here is a really good article titled Why Special Teams Coordinators make Good Head Coach Candidates.

Curious where Phil ranks among highest paid d coordinators in cfb

Phil Parker at $1.4 is grossly underpaid and a steal as the best DC in the country. KF and BF should each give a potion of their salaries to him or LeVar.

On Dec. 8, 2022 you don't find Phil on this list.

Highest paid Defensive Coordinators in the Nation:

Jim Knowles, Ohio State defensive coordinator, $1,900,000

Barry Odom, Arkansas defensive coordinator, $1,850,000

Matt House, LSU defensive coordinator, $1,800,000

Tosh Lupoi, Oregon defensive coordinator, $1,735,000

Pete Golding, Alabama defensive coordinator, $1,725,000

Pete Kwiatkowski, Texas defensive coordinator, $1,700,000

D.J. Durkin, Texas A&M defensive coordinator, $1,500,000

Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin defensive coordinator, $1,500,000

Last edited:
On Dec. 8, 2022 you don't find Phil on this list.

Highest paid Defensive Coordinators in the Nation:

Jim Knowles, Ohio State defensive coordinator, $1,900,000

Barry Odom, Arkansas defensive coordinator, $1,850,000

Matt House, LSU defensive coordinator, $1,800,000

Tosh Lupoi, Oregon defensive coordinator, $1,735,000

Pete Golding, Alabama defensive coordinator, $1,725,000

Pete Kwiatkowski, Texas defensive coordinator, $1,700,000

D.J. Durkin, Texas A&M defensive coordinator, $1,500,000

Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin defensive coordinator, $1,500,000

I bet Phil isn't a shy person. I bet Phil speaks for himself. Maybe Seth gets more because Phil told Kirk to allocate more to Seth and not to him (Phil).

Well, I will point out… Two different thoughts, I’ve had a pretty good fan point out that Doyle was extremely focused on the offensive line, so maybe he deserved more credit for the Oline, success that anybody else, including Kirk with that said, our defense has never been faster, stronger or more physical and I assume maybe we’ve really drilled down and identified what we’re looking for on defense recruiting wise, but strength and conditioning is team wide and we don’t have any problems on defense or special teams just on offense!
Yeah, I've heard that repeatedly but he was the S&C coach, not the OL coach. Amen on your point about how the rest of the team including dline and TE have done just fine or even better under RB. I doubt he just tossed out the OL workout programs and started from scratch when he got the job, they have looked like they don't even know who to block at times and that's not a S&C thing. The people who prop up Doyle also conveniently omit that he was part of his share of lines that just weren't that great in his 21 seasons on staff.

I know Kirk called him the best assistant on staff AINEC but when you have to depend on bullying, belittling, and physical abuse like stepping on players fingers to get results you just aren't as good of a coach as many think you are. The fact Kirk cut him loose so fast and it's 3 years later and no other college program has given him a shot speaks volumes. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

I really hope we see why Kirk has remained confident in Barnett this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT