ADVERTISEMENT

Plans for Father's Day?

Sunday uses lining up pretty good at this point…Late morning golf followed by watching a late starting final round of The US Open on television….and then the last few innings of Red Sox/ Yankees baseball.

We are going to Red Oak, Iowa........er, I mean THE SS Red Oak Iowa Victory Ship. Red Oak Victory Ship for their annual Father's day pancake breakfast. It is berthed quite near us, in the SF Bay in Richmond, close to the Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historic Park. Rosie the Riveter.

Wikipedia on Red Oak Victory Ship
"SS Red Oak Victory is a U.S. Victory ship of the Boulder Victory-class cargo ship used in the Second World War. She was preserved to serve as a museum ship in Richmond, California, and is managed by the Richmond Library of History and located near the Rosie the Riveter/World War II Home Front National Historical Park. She was one of 534 Victories built during World War II, but one of only a few of these ships to be transferred from the Merchant Marine to the United States Navy. She was named after Red Oak, Iowa, which suffered disproportionate casualties in early World War II battles.[3][4] (Montgomery County ranked third among Iowa counties in World War II casualties per capita).[5] The ship was active during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War."

"Pancake Breakfasts 2023
Our next Red Oak Victory 2023 Pancake Breakfast will be on Sunday, June 18, Father’s Day. Click on the graphic below to purchase tickets. Other breakfasts will follow on August 20, September 17, and October 8 (Fleet Week). If you want to keep up-to-date on Pancake Breakfasts and all events on the ship, click here to join our mailing list.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: In commemoration of Juneteenth, at the Father’s Day Pancake Breakfast, historian Leon Watkins will make a presentation about the African American military experience in World War II. We’ll also have a special Juneteenth exhibit focusing on the meaning and impact of the Emancipation Proclamation."

Always a good time.

Reactions: billanole
Did not realize Father's Day was Sunday until this morning. It's going to be surface of the sun hot in Houston (102 degrees, feels like 115) so probably soak in the pool and do a some work. Whatcha you got going on?
I have the fortunate/unfortunate birthday that usually falls right right before or right on father's day. This year the day before. So at least I get a day. Next year right on. Who would have thought having a kid would cut into my days of celebrations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT