ADVERTISEMENT

Play calling yesterday

Holy f*ng hyperbole.

Guarantee you (if you watched) were screaming with excitement at that play.

I was excited (also very drunk). I thought it was a bad play call almost immediately after-the-fact, but I'm not going to start criticizing this coaching staff for being too aggressive. I hope we don't see a fake field goal attempt every game, but now our upcoming opponents have something else to think about that they're not used to seeing from Iowa.

The fighting men & women on this sight have successfully pulled Greg Davis' head out of his butt!! WELL DONE PEOPLE!!!

Reactions: Hawk Supreme
I don't think I'd try to disguise anything the Coaches did on that infamous fake kick, or try to spin some logic and common sense into it. It was one of the worst decisions in the History of College Football, and should be looked at no other way..

LOL. Spoken like somebody that has watched maybe 5 college football games in his lifetime. Have fun at school tomorrow.

LOL. Spoken like somebody that has watched maybe 5 college football games in his lifetime. Have fun at school tomorrow.

It might not even be the worst decision that was made by Kirk yesterday. I can't point to anything specific, but let it go. We won. His team is competing and having fun in a way we didn't see last year. They could fall apart now, but it doesn't look like it will be because Ferentz is being stubborn.

Good point on the screens... did we run one yesterday?

I would like some screens thrown in. Not just the KF Classic Bubble Screen, although that would be good to Canzeri on occassion, but the typical outside screen. I am thinking that could be a good play to Derrick Mitchell. Not sure why, as I have barely seen him play. But for some reason, it seems right...

Screens, and a play action draw. CJ stepping back, looking outside, turns to the other side, pump fake, ball to Daniels.

Hayden would be happy.

I was referring to draws to the RB. Figured that was pretty obvious. I think the rest of the Iowa fans out there who didn't make a smart ass reply in this thread realized what I was saying.

So you were just too dumb to realize that draw plays can be run by players at multiple different positions.

Got it.

So you were just too dumb to realize that draw plays can be run by players at multiple different positions.

Got it.

You sir are...... Riddiculous. I am very confident most people knew what he meant. I am also confident most people would say you are a jackass. I bet you complain about grammar and spelling too huh?

Holy f*ng hyperbole.

Nobody with an ounce of football iq was screaming with excitement at that play. It was the single dumbest call I have ever seen and that says a lot with the game blunders pulled off by this staff.

I already said we would win at least 9 games this year. Looks like I am on pace for being right like I am about most everything else. Ferentz wanted Jake and you can't handle the fact that he is clueless. CJ was leaving just like Willies but he got better advice from his family to wait the season out. Willies didn't get good advice but make no mistake both guys were leaving. CJ is possibly going to save Ferentz career which is ironic since Kirk didn't want him to be the guy.
Pretentious much, not to mention extremely annoying! Can't people just enjoy being 2-0?!?!?! It could be the case that CJ was just not ready last year, everybody saw the talent but it could have been film prep, reading defense, or whatever. CJ got his shot last year (several times) and in his start against Purdue last year looked sub par at best. None the less, him having to earn his playing time might be the actual reason as to why he is looking so good this year and it seems to be working out pretty well. As for Willies, move the F on, the dude was not a good teammate and didn't seem to want to work for his playing time....Vande might have had something to do with WIllies not playing and after Saturday I can see why, blocks down field, hustles, has sure hands, and is 3rd down clutch.

So you know CJ's was leaving, correct? It's simple just tell me how you know. Please also tell me about Davis demanding CJ last season. Still waiting for your proof. I'll share my sources if you share yours and I'll even introduce you to them at our tailgate. It would be entertaining.
Lenoxhawk - calling you out as I've asked you in a couple different threads the last few week where you are getting info regarding Beathard leaving and coach Davis' qb choice. Please share your sources or quit posting bs regarding Beathard. You are so far off and just making stuff up that you have no clue about. I promise I will apologize if you have solid sources and will give you a beer or two as an olive branch at our tailgate on Saturday.

If you people are too stupid to see the complete and utter idiocy of that call, there is nothing I or anyone else can do for you.

From the minute Koehn took off, anyone with any semblance of a brain knew he was doomed to make it 45 yards of open field to the end zone. I'm sure Koehn is a fine athlete, what he is not is Tim Dwight, which is what that play requires if it has any chance at all to succeed, and even then it would be damn difficult.

The fact of the matter is if you think that play had any chance at all to succeed, you're a fricking moron. Period.

Reactions: lenoxhawks
Holy f*ng hyperbole.

I was screaming alright. Along with millions of others, but not for the same reasons you were apparently.

I think it went something like this as soon as I saw Koehn take off............ NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lenoxhawk - calling you out as I've asked you in a couple different threads the last few week where you are getting info regarding Beathard leaving and coach Davis' qb choice. Please share your sources or quit posting bs regarding Beathard. You are so far off and just making stuff up that you have no clue about. I promise I will apologize if you have solid sources and will give you a beer or two as an olive branch at our tailgate on Saturday.
My source is closer than yours. I don't want to let you save face but I am not revealing my source to some online dope who I know is wrong.

I thought the playcalling was pretty good. Maybe a little too predictable in the first half, but once everyone got settled in, the offense moved a lot better. The worst call of the game imo was the jet sweep with Parker. Way too obvious. It would've been nice to run a fake there.

If you people are too stupid to see the complete and utter idiocy of that call, there is nothing I or anyone else can do for you.

From the minute Koehn took off, anyone with any semblance of a brain knew he was doomed to make it 45 yards of open field to the end zone. I'm sure Koehn is a fine athlete, what he is not is Tim Dwight, which is what that play requires if it has any chance at all to succeed, and even then it would be damn difficult.

The fact of the matter is if you think that play had any chance at all to succeed, you're a fricking moron. Period.

He was literally 2 yards away from a touchdown. I had absolutely no problem with the call. Tim Dwight would've scored easily.

He was literally 2 yards away from a touchdown. I had absolutely no problem with the call. Tim Dwight would've scored easily.
This is scary that there is more than one person out there that feels this way. Maybe the UI is paying overtime to have extra posters on here stick up for Coach.

My source is closer than yours. I don't want to let you save face but I am not revealing my source to some online dope who I know is wrong.
You have no credible source, because what you are saying is only partially true. All the coaches were very excited about CJ's physical tools and knew once he figured it all out he would be the guy, last year he was close but not yet. I know this because my sources is the entire coaching staff when I met with them several times when I brought recruits to the tailgates and on visits. It is always fun to speak with them and they are ussually pretty candid when you are behind the scenes with them.....I also knew that Spearman was not exactly on the best path and was not surprised by him not being with the program this season

You have no credible source, because what you are saying is only partially true. All the coaches were very excited about CJ's physical tools and knew once he figured it all out he would be the guy, last year he was close but not yet. I know this because my sources is the entire coaching staff when I met with them several times when I brought recruits to the tailgates and on visits. It is always fun to speak with them and they are ussually pretty candid when you are behind the scenes with them.....I also knew that Spearman was not exactly on the best path and was not surprised by him not being with the program this season
WTH do you think they are going to say to nobodies? Only 1 of our stories makes sense and 99% of the fan base knows which one. Thankfully the guy in charge finally sided with the 99% and his assistants. He has been on an island multiple times the last few years, even with his own son.

This is scary that there is more than one person out there that feels this way. Maybe the UI is paying overtime to have extra posters on here stick up for Coach.
Well I guess we just have different football philosophies. I like seeing aggressive playcalling even when it doesn't work.

WTH do you think they are going to say to nobodies? Only 1 of our stories makes sense and 99% of the fan base knows which one. Thankfully the guy in charge finally sided with the 99% and his assistants. He has been on an island multiple times the last few years, even with his own son.
You are so full of bs and have been exposed. You made crap up and got called out - now you start the name calling. Pretty predictable (and pathetic) but I won't go down in the sewer with you. As a matter of fact I'll still offer you a couple beverages at our tailgate. Meet me at the bridge on melrose - just wear your dunce cap so I can identify you.

Well I guess we just have different football philosophies. I like seeing aggressive playcalling even when it doesn't work.
We should onside kick it every time. At least that will work every once in a while. The fake FG wasn't even a 1 in 100 chance of working.
You are so full of bs and have been exposed. You made crap up and got called out - now you start the name calling. Pretty predictable (and pathetic) but I won't go down in the sewer with you. As a matter of fact I'll still offer you a couple beverages at our tailgate. Meet me at the bridge on melrose - just wear your dunce cap so I can identify you.
You can't handle being proven wrong. That is a shocker because you have a lot of experience.

Last edited:
Then Tim Dwight should have been in the game if it were to have any chance in hell of working. Which it did not. If you're going to "surprise" someone where not one sane person on the planet would expect a fake run by a kicker from 45 yards out, it stands to reason he may have a blocker with him for a little bit, and some wide open field, for a while. But unless Iowa State and every other team on the planet is playing only Nose Tackles on their Field Goal Defense, a Defensive Back or a Linebacker are going to run him down short of the end zone at some point. The only question is what yard line and how many guys catch him, not if it's going to happen.

I guess it's a brilliant decision if you know your Defense is going to shut out the opposition in the 2nd half and you'll score 21 when down by 7 at the time of the "brilliant decision". Kirk is many things, but I'm certain he can't see into the future.

YOU ARE FOS. I think we all know it.

We should onside kick it every time. At least that will work every once in a while. The fake FG wasn't even a 1 in 100 chance of working.

You can't handle being proven wrong. That is a shocker because you have a lot of experience.

Proven wrong would imply you provided proof. The only proof you have supplied is that you are a tool. Name calling is fun.

Nobody with an ounce of football iq was screaming with excitement at that play. It was the single dumbest call I have ever seen and that says a lot with the game blunders pulled off by this staff.

Captain Hyperbole to the rescue!

Play calling was mediocre. Some good ones, some poor ones, many OK ones. The point of offense, like pitching in baseball, is to keep the opponent off balance. Throw a change in a fastball situation. Pass when it's a running situation. Run when it's a passing situation. You're much more likely to be successful with execution if you do the opposite of the expected.

Too many times against ISU Iowa was predictable. And in the first half, way too many drop-back pass attempts that played into the hands of the ISU rush. When you have a QB like Beathard, drop-backs should be limited and rollouts off play action should be the go-to call.

So while there were some specific instances of brilliant play calling--like that last rollout TD to McCarron--but still way too many predictable ones, especially at the end of the half.

So there are positive signs, but there is plenty of room for improvement in the play calling. As a great coach used to say, "Scratch where it itches." And don't forget about the TEs.
----------------------------------------------------------------
On the 2 run plays before the fake field goal, the announcer was complaining about KF,s conservative play calling. I say hogwash. First, I have been frustrated with KF's play calling the last 10 years. But, look at the 2 run plays. If you are the defensive coordinator at that time, you are expecting a pass play so you can kill the clock if you miss the target. Calling the run play was trying to outmaneuver the defense. If the play works, KF/GD look like geniuses. OL did not open a hole.

KF runs the same play again. You would assume the Defense would not be anticipating this. OL did not open the hole again.

You can call it bad play calling. Before you call yourself the genius of playcalling, call the play before it happens. See how many calls you get wrong.

Next, we do not have the scouting report of what ISU's tendencies are on defense. I do not claim to be an expert (unlike others on this blog). When we do not run certain plays in a game, it is probably because the coaches feel there is lower probability of success. They spend hours studying film, looking for tendencies. Arm chair QB's on the net plan their playcalling in between drinking beer and eating chips.

I do think we should have 3 trick plays every game (we tried the pitch back pass once against ISU). These type of plays keeps the defense from being overly aggressive because they know a team runs a lot of trick plays. Urban Meyer supposedly does this. I believe in it. I think the players love running them also.

At the time I thought it was crazy, but now I like the call. Sure, it had little chance of working, maybe less than 5%. I like it because it was something that Kirk Ferentz would never dream of trying even 2 years ago. It sends a message that we're willing to break out of our normal comfort zone. I think it's something worth trying like 1 out of every 10 times in that situation.

I absolutely can handle being proven wrong (I even offered you a beer at our tailgate if you provide your "proof") please prove to me what I've said is wrong. I have followed this site for awhile and typically don't post a lot but I know you are full of bs and have no proof / credible source for what you've spewed so I've called you out in a few threads. You haven't done anything other than name call and throw more crap out.

I'd also love to hear what else I've been wrong about as I "have a lot of experience" as I post so much. You're funny and amuse me kind of like a clown. Killing you that the Hawks are winning isn't it?

Reactions: nu2u
I tried to think of a reason why you run the fake two weeks in a row, and the only thing I can come up with is in practice the protection must not be very good - to where they run a couple fakes the first two games to back off the defenders to give the kick a better chance of not being blocked.

It's either that or they see in film that side of both teams crashing to where the play works. Let's face it...both plays were successful if the down and distance (and time) are 2-3 yards better for Iowa. The Iowa State play worked for 20+ yards, the only crime was they needed 2 more.

It also sends a message to the entire team that we're f'n in this to win it. It sends a GREAT message in that fashion. For a decade plus this board has ripped the conservative play calling and taking too many FG's...I'd say they're giving both their own team and opponents a message that that ain't happening any more.

Hawkirish backed you into a corner and you pulled out the white flag.

You also claimed to know the "undoable conditions" that Ferentz laid down for Derrick Willies to return last January. When confronted, you also refused to reveal what they were.

So we see a pattern developing and it goes something like this:

(a) you invent a bullshiite anti-Ferentz story:
(b) you vehemently defend it as accurate or authentic;
(c) skeptical members ask for minimal proof;
(d) you refuse to provide any evidence whatsoever for a variety of contrived reasons:
(e) you attack the party requesting proof of the claim.

Looks like a poser who makes up crap and then gets defensive and combative when someone calls him on it.

Its perfectly fine to dislike Ferentz (your dislike is more than obvious) for any reason you choose. But if you make a factual allegation either support it with evidence or drop it. Don't be a pussy - stand behind the "facts" you stated - show your evidence -or STFU.

People really need to quit crying about this fake FG. It didn't work, get over it. I watched exactly 1.25 NFL games yesterday and saw coaching decisions that were bad. I don't know if the fake FG was a good call but I don't have a problem with it. If it works you guys would be bitching about something else entirely. Maybe bitching that CJ carried the ball in the wrong hand on his 57 yard run. LOL.

Rams down 7 with the ball and content to let the clock go to the 2 minute warning. Pete Carroll calls timeout and gives the Rams a free play.
Seahawks kicked the ball into the back of the endzone the whole game never allowing the Rams a return. They start the OT with an Onside kick.
Giants snapped the ball on 3 occassions with 20 seconds left on play clock with the clock running on final possession.
Giants then pass on 3rd and goal from 1 with Cowboys out of timeouts. Giving the Cowboys a free 40 seconds. Cowboys scored with 7 seconds left to win.

That was with 2 coaches that have 4 championship rings and played in another Super Bowl. Not every call works. The only guarantee is that fans think they know everything and lets be honest here they do as long as they get to use hind sight as their primary source of information.

Hawkirish backed you into a corner and you pulled out the white flag.

You also claimed to know the "undoable conditions" that Ferentz laid down for Derrick Willies to return last January. When confronted, you also refused to reveal what they were.

So we see a pattern developing and it goes something like this:

(d) you refuse to provide any evidence whatsoever for a variety of contrived reasons:

Looks like a poser who makes up crap and then gets defensive and combative when someone calls him on it.

Its perfectly fine to dislike Ferentz (your dislike is more than obvious) for any reason you choose. But if you make a factual allegation either support it with evidence or drop it. Don't be a pussy - stand behind the "facts" you stated or STFU.
He didn't back me into anywhere. I would never share my source with some idiots on the internet. It doesn't do any good arguing with people that like you guys that think Ferentz is some sort of genius. I will say it for the last time. CJ was leaving after the season. Ferentz was not the coach fighting for CJ to be named the starter. You can believe it or be wrong like usual. You can also have the last word. I will continue to enjoy watching CJ save Ferentz. I personally wanted him to transfer so Kirk would have to sink with Jake.

From the minute Koehn took off, anyone with any semblance of a brain knew he was doomed to make it 45 yards of open field to the end zone.

If you are going to criticize the coaches, at least have an idea that we were at the 23 yard line, not the 45. I don't know why half the message board idiots think a 40 yard FG attempt means we had the ball at the 40 yard line. Usually its the same ones who think they know how to run a D1 football program.

Reactions: crHawkeye92
If you are going to criticize the coaches, at least have an idea that we were at the 23 yard line, not the 45. I don't know why half the message board idiots think a 40 yard FG attempt means we had the ball at the 40 yard line. Usually its the same ones who think they know how to run a D1 football program.

Now that is a post that should shut him up. I doubt it will though.

People really need to quit crying about this fake FG. It didn't work, get over it. I watched exactly 1.25 NFL games yesterday and saw coaching decisions that were bad. I don't know if the fake FG was a good call but I don't have a problem with it. If it works you guys would be bitching about something else entirely. Maybe bitching that CJ carried the ball in the wrong hand on his 57 yard run. LOL.

Rams down 7 with the ball and content to let the clock go to the 2 minute warning. Pete Carroll calls timeout and gives the Rams a free play.
Seahawks kicked the ball into the back of the endzone the whole game never allowing the Rams a return. They start the OT with an Onside kick.
Giants snapped the ball on 3 occassions with 20 seconds left on play clock with the clock running on final possession.
Giants then pass on 3rd and goal from 1 with Cowboys out of timeouts. Giving the Cowboys a free 40 seconds. Cowboys scored with 7 seconds left to win.

That was with 2 coaches that have 4 championship rings and played in another Super Bowl. Not every call works. The only guarantee is that fans think they know everything and lets be honest here they do as long as they get to use hind sight as their primary source of information.
Dude! I was fine with the 1st Fake Field Goal of the year against Illinois State, even though it didn't work. THAT ONE had a semblance of chance to work. Loved the call in THAT SITUATION. A game we were leading at the time, and a team we were taking to the woodshed on both sides of the ball.

The fake against Iowa State with no time left in the half is an all or nothing play, while taking a statistically likely 3 points off the board from that distance, in a game we were trailing, on the road, to a team that has beaten us 3 of the last 4. A kicker has to run EDITED 27 yards? 31 yards? 24 yards? 37 yards? in the open field to score a touchdown. Let me type that again real slow for some of you people..............

A kicker has to run EDITED 27 yards? 31 yards? 24 yards? 37 yards? yards in the open field to score a touchdown (read it again, as slow as you must to comprehend)

If you plan on every single player on Iowa State's Field Goal Defense to fall down during the play, then it's the best call in the History of Sport. If not, you get what you got. A miracle that had no chance of succeeding, while taking likely points off the board in a game where we were clearly not looking good at the time, and any points sure looked to be at a premium.

If you actually want to see Iowa Football win games, you don't ever want to see this occurrence again in your lifetime. If you don't care, then by all means it was the most wonderful non-scoring attempt in the History of Iowa Football.............................SMH

Last edited:
You're probably correct about my recollection of the distance of where he took off from, so my bad in that regard. It changes the percentage from "not a chance in hell" to "well, if everybody falls asleep on the other side and just runs to their sideline, it just might work". It was too far, said Mr. Obvious.

Congratulations lenox you followed the playbook to a T (see below) ......but then threw in a zinger right at the end.

lenoxhawks stated:

"He didn't back me into anywhere. (b) I would never share my source with some idiots on the internet. (d) and (e) It doesn't do any good arguing with people that like you guys that think Ferentz is some sort of genius. (d) and (e) I will say it for the last time. CJ was leaving after the season. Ferentz was not the coach fighting for CJ to be named the starter. (a) and (b) You can believe it or be wrong like usual. (e) You can also have the las t word. I will continue to enjoy watching CJ save Ferentz. I personally wanted him to transfer so Kirk would have to sink with Jake" (f)*

Guide:
(d) you refuse to provide any evidence whatsoever for a variety of contrived reasons
:

*new (f) - an added element is introduced - admission of hate for KF as a plausible reason for the original story.

Last edited:
Parker's run could have been a nice gain, maybe 10 yards , if he had just turned upfield and ran into the huge hole that opened.

You're probably correct about my recollection of the distance of where he took off from, so my bad in that regard. It changes the percentage from "not a chance in hell" to "well, if everybody falls asleep on the other side and just runs to their sideline, it just might work". It was too far, said Mr. Obvious.

You thought the ball was twice as far from the end zone as it was. Please refrain from criticizing playcalling when you can't manage to get the VERY BASIC numbers correct.

The stupider the poster, the more certain their proclamations. You are exhibit A. And now I'm ignoring your dipsh1t a$$.

Reactions: nu2u
He didn't back me into anywhere. I would never share my source with some idiots on the internet. It doesn't do any good arguing with people that like you guys that think Ferentz is some sort of genius. I will say it for the last time. CJ was leaving after the season. Ferentz was not the coach fighting for CJ to be named the starter. You can believe it or be wrong like usual. You can also have the last word. I will continue to enjoy watching CJ save Ferentz. I personally wanted him to transfer so Kirk would have to sink with Jake.

Calling CJB and his father a liar, interesting stand to take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT