ADVERTISEMENT

Players met w/ Media on July16. Cade 30 lbs heavier than Usual Playing Wt. On the Lester Offense: "We’re starting from scratch. Nothing is the same"

Given Cade’s past two years, I’m skeptical that he can stay healthy for even half a season. Hope Sullivan can be ready to go and at least be adequate at QB.
Cade was playing hurt last season and that was a mistake by KF.

And ACL injuries have no correlation to players who are chronically injured.

It's only the quad injury that could give one reason to be a bit skittish

That the offense is “starting from scratch” is the best thing I have read on here in a long time.

The prior offense needs to be tossed into a scrap heap with VCRs, dust busters, and Nebraska Starter jackets.
What's sad about all the issues we had with the offense, is that it didn't have to be completely scratch - there were things that could have been fixed without having to start from scratch. But Kirk was unable or unwilling to recognize that at least some change was needed, or to let BF attempt any changes.

Cade was playing hurt last season and that was a mistake by KF.

And ACL injuries have no correlation to players who are chronically injured.

It's only the quad injury that could give one reason to be a bit skittish
Cade playing hurt was the first indication we should have had that Iowa had no confidence in the QBs behind him.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Yes sir. Iowa is a very "old" team this year and it should be beneficial. That's why you keep hearing people say Iowa is a CFP contender.

We're lucky some of the guys didn't enter the transfer portal to get paid.
I think a lot of guys didn’t enter the transfer portal, and did indeed get paid.

Iowa might not live the mansion OSU lives in, but they have a house in that neighborhood.

Possibly but what I'm hearing is "Don't be surprised if we struggle for the first few games". We've seen that movie before.
"...struggle for the first few games" would be an improvement from the complete shit show we saw the last three years of Brian Ferentz.

There is nothing salvageable about that offense. Nothing.

No one sane expects the Iowa offense to be clicking on all cylinders to start the year. Doesn't matter. It was long past time to completely overhaul the offense.

Do you think the Iowa offense would struggle less to start the year if they had adopted a hybrid model of Brian and Tim's offenses, or would you have recommended they 100% stick with Brian's and what doesn't work?

Maybe I don't understand your argument, but it seems to me there was no other option but to move forward with something completely different.

A full off season to implement there should not be any struggle the first few games, unless the talent needed for the new offense is just not there.

normally i would expect the offense to be very productive (as in 30+ points) first 3 games, then struggle a bit in the next 3 as b1g defenses with some film to study counter them before a experienced bunch pulls it together to the tune of 24+ points range for the remainder of the season.
but knowing kirk offense will look like they've never played football for the first 3 games, the defense will do the same one game leading to a ooc loss, then we'll drop the b1g opener but pull off a stunner in cbus. if it takes 2 disgusting losses to win in cbus i'll take it though.
:)

normally i would expect the offense to be very productive (as in 30+ points) first 3 games, then struggle a bit in the next 3 as b1g defenses with some film to study counter them before a experienced bunch pulls it together to the tune of 24+ points range for the remainder of the season.
but knowing kirk offense will look like they've never played football for the first 3 games, the defense will do the same one game leading to a ooc loss, then we'll drop the b1g opener but pull off a stunner in cbus. if it takes 2 disgusting losses to win in cbus i'll take it though.
:)
In a dream scenario, Iowa jumps on Illinois State early, and Lester is able to do some experimenting/tinkering with lineups and formations.

Do you know "why," or are you just keeping it a secret?

Anyone with more info on why he's on with the team anymore? He was so impressive at Harlan and seemed to do it effortlessly.

I see that Eliot wrote this on the subscriber forum:

Just confirmed with Iowa sports info that redshirt-freshman DB Aidan Hall is no longer with the football team.

Working to find out why. He was a three-star prospect out of Harlan in the 2023 class. Moved from LB to DB this off-season and has had some issues staying healthy.

Will be plain and vanilla. Won't show more than have to. I am guessing about a 2 to 1 run to pass ratio.

The OL is gonna get their workout in.
We should hope so, if Lester has to dig into the playbook to beat Illinois state, alarm bells will start ringing.

I’d just like to see guys see time all over. We don’t need to see too ,any wrinkles early on.

Offense may be starting from scratch but I bet there’s a ton of old KF plays added back in. 1st play on offense will probably be zone run right, followed by zone run left, 3rd and 6 will be play action to a tight end

What's sad about all the issues we had with the offense, is that it didn't have to be completely scratch - there were things that could have been fixed without having to start from scratch. But Kirk was unable or unwilling to recognize that at least some change was needed, or to let BF attempt any changes.
The running game was different last year. They rarely ran the stretch play, more often going inside with the TE lead blocking. I wouldn't be surprised to see it continue this season.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Offense may be starting from scratch but I bet there’s a ton of old KF plays added back in. 1st play on offense will probably be zone run right, followed by zone run left, 3rd and 6 will be play action to a tight end
I have a feeling that if they do nothing but throw the ball downfield the entire game; if they run inside zone once in the entire game, there will be fans on this board whining that nothing has changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT