ADVERTISEMENT

Please, please, please - No Gus Johnson ever again

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Yeah I absolutely loved him not long ago, and still think he’s one of the best, but like sooo many of the other biggies, he’s trying to outdo himself and this schtick is starting to get old.

But the touchdown call on CJs pass in the B1G championship game will NEVER get old.

I like Gus, but he's going overboard. A second by second announcement of points needed by CC was completely unnecessary,

I the second half, they started telling stories and ignored the game. I hate that when announcers go off on tangents,

He's better at football where the action isn't constant.

Eh, I love Gus. He's out of his element with WBB but they had to bring in someone with a name to help immortalize the moments this season. Who else was going to do that for WBB? It's true, he's much better for college football but he was fine for these WBB games imo.

Eh, I love Gus. He's out of his element with WBB but they had to bring in someone with a name to help immortalize the moments this season. Who else was going to do that for WBB? It's true, he's much better for college football but he was fine for these WBB games imo.
FOX I'm sure was keenly aware that yesterday was the last stop for them on the Clark train, a train they didn't have to pay a dime extra to get. Why not give Gus one more opportunity. The whole thing has been great for Iowa, great for the B1G and great for women's basketball. BTN gets their last shots this week. Then (if they make it) CBS gets 1 final chance for the B1G womens title game and then it's all ESPN. I'm sure we'll be wishing Gus would be doing some of those games.

Yesterday's game was about one thing and one thing only, and that was CC22 and her pursuit of Pete's record. Why not bring in your best announcers and hype the hell out of her, and to a lesser extent, women's bball? The game was secondary, ESPN did college game day at CHA, and it was for the most part a celebration of CC22.

No problem with the announcing, let alone Gus.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
He needs to announce Monster Trucks or WWE. So annoying.
I dont mind his energy but I hate how he gets off topic and isnt even calling the game. Too much off topic moments. Correct me but wasnt Gus and his analyst yesterday during the game doing a commerical while the game was going on?

Dick Enberg, where are the Dick Enberg's when we need them.

I dont mind his energy but I hate how he gets off topic and isnt even calling the game. Too much off topic moments. Correct me but wasnt Gus and his analyst yesterday during the game doing a commerical while the game was going on?

They were doing a commercial while the game was going on. Gambling site of course! But that’s not his fault, he’s being told he has to read it. But yes, it lasted a good 45 seconds to a minute.

Fox Sports just needs to understand that the U of Iowa is a completely separate institution Iowa State University! I could forgive one or two verbal slip-ups, but it happened throughout the game. The even used ISU's logo in one of the video packages! Not to whine, but they should do better.

Fox Sports just needs to understand that the U of Iowa is a completely separate institution Iowa State University! I could forgive one or two verbal slip-ups, but it happened throughout the game. The even used ISU's logo in one of the video packages! Not to whine, but they should do better.
That's ESPN in its College GameDay show. But I had a feeling some ISU grad did it intentionally.

They were doing a commercial while the game was going on. Gambling site of course! But that’s not his fault, he’s being told he has to read it. But yes, it lasted a good 45 seconds to a minute.
I'd take Ryan Ruocco anytime over Gus, he's just more polished.

If I was a billionaire I'd pay Gus Johnson to give play by play of my day. Easily the best football and basketball announcer out there
he could be if he actually announced what was happening in the game instead of constantly telling stories.

I know he is not the producer of the show or the big wigs who schedule the ads but Gus talks about a lot of other stuff while he should be calling the game. Several times he had a whistle being a ball out of bounds etc when it was a foul

Not necessarily a Gus Johnson question, but given their seating courtside, I'm curious how audible the announcers are to the players. He's ostensibly yelling "...FOR HISTORY!!" while CC22 is shooting foul shots. I'd think that would be a major distraction. But maybe it's really all microphones and audio levels? idk.

There are too many times when he's bantering with his sidekick in the booth or gushing over players instead of calling the action. Chili and Juju were some favorite tangents of his Sunday. For example, he likes to say "the world famous Ohio State Buckeyes!" like he's having an orgasm.

Normally I like him but I wanted to yell STFU after his 50th reference to Pistol Pete.

He was trying way way too hard Sunday. I would think even he would cringe if he listened to a replay.

Even my wife said, thank god she got the record before halftime and she has no idea who Gus Johnson is.

Last edited:
I could handle him if he always let us know who the foul was on and how many they have and talk about what’s going on the court when there is action. Don’t try and dream up stupid records that are not relevant. And don’t talk about your favorite teams in the PAC 12 and JuJu Watson when you’re broadcasting a Big Ten game.

Reactions: Bruceman44

"Oh my"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT