ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast: Jess Settles says Luka, Weezy & JBo WILL BE BACK to make run at B1G Title & Final Four

My guess is he’ll go through the process, Iowa fans on the internet will lose their collective minds, say it was a mistake blah blah, and he’ll be back.

He should go through the process. Doesn’t hurt anything. We can get worried when he puts together a lengthy Instagram post.

Thats what Jess said last month in the podcast I posted in the orig post.

Jess said in that podcast that Luka, Weezy, etc may get NBA feedback (but who knows with the coronavirus) but everyone (including Luka and JBo) will be back to make a run at a B1G title & a Final 4

Jess said a chance at a B1G title and a Final Four is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Rick Brown is a long time sports reporter and had a recent interview with Fran.

Fran, as you will see, says that

* Luka will be a better player for Iowa next season.
* The team chemistry is really good.

Some excerpts:

...the [2019-2020] season came to an abrupt halt.

“I still think we can build on the momentum that we had because we’re no different than anybody else,” the coach said. “It wasn’t like we didn’t get to advance and everybody else did. Everybody was in the same boat. At least we can feel comfortable in what we accomplished.”

This was McCaffery’s 24th season as a head Division I coach, and one of the most enjoyable.

“It was a great deal of fun,” he said. “It was a group that really came together. There was mutual respect. They genuinely liked each other. They went into competitive situations confident in their own skin but knowing their teammates were right with them. They were truly the example of a team that was stronger and better together.”

McCaffery used Garza, Iowa’s first consensus all-American in 68 years, as an example.

“Everyone was thrilled for him,” McCaffery said. “It wasn’t like, “What about me? I should be getting more shots.’ It was, “He’s the player of the year and we’re all going to give him a hug. We want that for him.’ Moving forward, we have a lot of weapons we can surround him with. We’ve got an unselfish team that really cares about each other.”

McCaffery speaks with the assumption that Garza and Weiskamp will be back next season. But he thinks it won’t be a bad thing if both make themselves eligible for the NBA Draft. By doing so they can receive feedback from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. And they’d still have the option to return to Iowa as long as they don’t hire an agent. The deadline for applying is April 16.

“I think those guys will and should get that information,” McCaffery said. “They need to hear what’s being said about them. Am I going to be a first-round pick? A second-round pick? Am I going to get drafted at all? Most good players take advantage of that opportunity.”

This year’s process will be different, because the NBA was also silenced by the pandemic. In years past, players could work out for NBA teams and be interviewed by them, like Weiskamp was a year ago. But that won’t happen this season.

“It’s up to them to announce, and I always support them either way,” McCaffery said. “I’m for what they feel is best for them.”

Iowa has already been projected in some circles to be a Top 10 team in 2020-21, and a leading contender for the school’s first Big Ten regular-season title since 1978-79. That could change with the current state of the college game, where rosters fluctuate significantly between now and the start of the season.

“I know this, we’ll have a really good team again,” McCaffery said. “And it will probably be a situation where there will be at least 10 teams (from the Big Ten) in the NCAA Tournament, maybe more. If you’re picked for first, that’s great and the fans get excited. Lose one game and it’s the end of the world.”

McCaffery’s approach remains this: never get too high after a big win or too low after a tough loss.

“You’ve got to approach things in a professional way,” he said. “You’re going to win some games and lose some games. We’re going to play well and not so well. But can we be consistent and play well most of the time, peak at the right time and make a run in the tournament that will hopefully take place next year?”

Coach McCaffery said that Bohannon, who needs 91 3-pointers to pass Ohio State’s Jon Diebler as the Big Ten’s career leader, and Nunge have made good progress on the rehabilitation front. And Patrick McCaffery is up to 190 pounds and primed to return to the floor.

Add five incoming recruits to the mix and competition for playing time should be spirited.

“Luka will be better, Joe will be better, Connor will be better, CJ will be better, Joe (Toussiant) will be better,” McCaffery said, “And getting Patrick in there will really help us.”

LINK: https://www.hawkeyenation.com/features/fran-mccaffery-puts-disappointment-behind-him-looks-ahead-to-20-21?fbclid=IwAR2jFVtvy57phd4qVawP6uDoB_1p5yJw71nhpC7uY-a4Pf_zY3XJMt1HYZU

Last edited:
Chad Leistikow said yesterday in the evening KxNO / HawkCentral radio program that Luka is most likely back next season.

What would prevent him from coming back?

* He's guaranteed an NBA roster spot, which is unlikely.
* If it becomes apparent to him & Frank that there will be no college basketball season; in that case, he might look overseas for options, etc.

Lets just hope there is a season!

Chad Leistikow said yesterday in the evening KxNO / HawkCentral radio program that Luka is most likely back next season.

What would prevent him from coming back?

* He's guaranteed an NBA roster spot, which is unlikely.
* If it becomes apparent to him & Frank that there will be no college basketball season; in that case, he might look overseas for options, etc.

Lets just hope there is a season!

Thanks Fran……….I'd bet there will be a season. ;)

Reactions: Franisdaman
People are starting to almost riot over this ridiculous shut down. Can you imagine what the mood will be like in four months? Too many institutions couldn't take the revenue hit that would follow cancelling college football.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
My biggest fear is the 2nd wave of the virus hitting hard in December/early Jan just as a top 3-5 ranked Iowa team is thwarted by the Rona. It would be so Iowa

Its the Curse. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. This year it took a global pandemic, albeit one that was insanely exaggerated. By fall/winter I think the relevant politicians will be a little more reluctant to "shut down" because there's a risk someone, almost entirely in the audience, might get sick.

Its the Curse. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. This year it took a global pandemic, albeit one that was insanely exaggerated. By fall/winter I think the relevant politicians will be a little more reluctant to "shut down" because there's a risk someone, almost entirely in the audience, might get sick.

100,000 deaths in the USA so far not enough for you?

just a reminder & in case you missed this, listen to the podcast in the original post....

Most of you have agreed with Jess that Luka will be back.

Luka makes his decision, of course, on Aug 2.

Luka is practicing with his brother Hawkeyes. It will be hard for him to abandon his team mates when he knows what this means to them, the program, and the fans.

Absent a NBA roster spot, Luka will be back if there is college basketball this season.

Yeah, since March 25th (almost 4 months) everyone has strongly felt (and in this case, reported) that Luka would be back.

With all of the unknown, I would not be surprised to see Luka bypass this final college season with the intent of pursuing professional play (even if overseas; despite saying he wanted to feel promise of an NBA roster spot). My main reason being is who knows when/if college basketball is played. And Luka will then just be a another year older ... I'd love to see him come back but I can see him making the decision to place college behind him and begin his next life chapter. Tough spot for him for sure ...

Worse case scenario is that we don't start play until January. Luka and Frank know that. I think there will be a season; I don't think we'll see 2 March Madness in a row canceled.

He'll be back.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
I think Luka WILL be back because he wants to play in the NBA and that isn't going to happen this year, Covid-19 or no Covid-19. He will come back and finish his degree then do what he needs to after that to get into the league. In the mean time, he's not going to risk his life when he could be relatively safe and adored at Iowa.

Yep. We have all been saying this since March. And now, 4 months later? We are all still saying it. We can have a dozen threads on "Will Luka be back" and the answer will not change. ;)

If there's a basketball season and an NCAA Tournament, he'll be back. Otherwise...

worst case is that the season starts late (or possibly pushed to January).

March Madness won't be canceled 2 years in a row.

He'll be back. Jess Settles was correct in March and he would be correct now.

Check out this thread (link follows), which Blair started, where today Legend wrote this to another poster (Note that at 12:42 pm CT Legend's comments were deleted by the mods):

PS. Your mom didn’t die of cancer...she killed herself to get away from you.

LINK: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...e-oscar-robertson-trophy.309638/#post-7538717

For some reason Legend gets away with this kind of stuff time after time after time. His comments are simply deleted. Why isn't he banned?

Can anyone guess why?
But god forbid anyone says MM

Reactions: Franisdaman
200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT