ADVERTISEMENT

Police: 'Punches were thrown' outside Trump rally in Davenport

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Davenport man is facing a disorderly conduct charge after a disturbance with attendees of Monday's rally for former president Donald Trump at the Adler Theatre.
A police affidavit describes an incident between the driver of an Amerigas propane truck and rallygoers on Third Street at about 4:45 p.m.

The driver of the truck, Nicholas Fleming, 22, is accused of "screaming at subjects waiting for an event." He was honking his air horn, police said, and "engaging in violent behavior by screaming obscenities at subjects and antagonizing them to fight."
A news photographer at the scene, who captured images of the incident, said he saw a rally attendee strike or attempt to strike Fleming as he sat in the driver's seat of the truck. Scott County booking records do not appear to show anyone else being charged in the incident.

The police affidavit describes Fleming's conduct — honking his horn, shouting obscenities and antagonizing those in line to attend the Trump event — as the catalyst for the confrontation.

"The violent behavior created a disturbance where punches were thrown," the police complaint states.
The former president's motorcade was not yet en route to the rally at the time of the incident. Trump arrived at the Quad City International Airport in Moline at 4:30 and did not go directly to the Adler Theatre, detouring instead to the Iowa Machine Shed restaurant in north Davenport.
Trump arrived at the Adler around 5:30 p.m., which was about 45 minutes after the confrontation on Third Street.

Police: 'punches were thrown' outside Trump rally in Davenport

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
I don't see how screaming, swearing and honking your horn are 'violent behaviors'. While antagonistic, those are all things you can legally do. Now, getting punched for doing them is 'violent behavior' on the part of the assailant though.
The cops sound like Trump apologists. Didn't even arrest the person who punched the guy in the truck.
Instead they charged the guy who yelled.

I live downtown and walked around a little bit to observe the crazy people... prime people watching to say the least.

The only thing I really noticed were the people yelling at people in line from the other side of the street or driving by and yelling things.

Not sure whats more sad.. standing in line to see Donald Trump or going out of your way to antagonize those weirdos from a safe distance to show your fellow nuts how totally brave you are.

All idiots

I live downtown and walked around a little bit to observe the crazy people... prime people watching to say the least.

The only thing I really noticed were the people yelling at people in line from the other side of the street or driving by and yelling things.

Not sure whats more sad.. standing in line to see Donald Trump or going out of your way to antagonize those weirdos from a safe distance to show your fellow nuts how totally brave you are.

All idiots

I'm sure the antagonists really helped the cause in this case. Probably changed some views and opened some minds.

I drove by there on my way home and noticed what must have been his truck parked on Brady Street just North of where they had the road blocked off and seeing the police milling about. It seemed strange to me at the time that a tanker truck would be parked there.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'm sure the antagonists really helped the cause in this case. Probably changed some views and opened some minds.
I'd be lying, though, if I said I've never pointed and laughed at someone with a Trump bumper sticker or hat.

I never try to antagonize or irritate (except on GIAOT ;)) , but I will laugh at someone who is basically announcing their stupidity publicly for all the world to see. I do find it amusing, sue me. :)

All idiots
I saw this too while I was driving by. One sign read "Lock Him Up" and there was another with "Traitor Trump".
It all seemed pretty tame to me though and the two groups were on opposite sides of 3rd Street.

Davenport man is facing a disorderly conduct charge after a disturbance with attendees of Monday's rally for former president Donald Trump at the Adler Theatre.
A police affidavit describes an incident between the driver of an Amerigas propane truck and rallygoers on Third Street at about 4:45 p.m.

The driver of the truck, Nicholas Fleming, 22, is accused of "screaming at subjects waiting for an event." He was honking his air horn, police said, and "engaging in violent behavior by screaming obscenities at subjects and antagonizing them to fight."
A news photographer at the scene, who captured images of the incident, said he saw a rally attendee strike or attempt to strike Fleming as he sat in the driver's seat of the truck. Scott County booking records do not appear to show anyone else being charged in the incident.

The police affidavit describes Fleming's conduct — honking his horn, shouting obscenities and antagonizing those in line to attend the Trump event — as the catalyst for the confrontation.

"The violent behavior created a disturbance where punches were thrown," the police complaint states.
The former president's motorcade was not yet en route to the rally at the time of the incident. Trump arrived at the Quad City International Airport in Moline at 4:30 and did not go directly to the Adler Theatre, detouring instead to the Iowa Machine Shed restaurant in north Davenport.
Trump arrived at the Adler around 5:30 p.m., which was about 45 minutes after the confrontation on Third Street.

Police: 'punches were thrown' outside Trump rally in Davenport
Deranged liberal

They do serve large portions.
The owners of Machine Shed (and Johnny's Italian Steakhouse, Thunder Bay Grille and several other mediocre regional chain restaurants that serve heated up TPC crap food) are the Heart of America Group, headed by Mike Whalen, a MAGA who unsuccessfully ran for Congress.

As you would imagine, he enjoys not paying taxes while fighting against raising wages for service industry workers.

I'd be lying, though, if I said I've never pointed and laughed at someone with a Trump bumper sticker or hat.

I never try to antagonize or irritate (except on GIAOT ;)) , but I will laugh at someone who is basically announcing their stupidity publicly for all the world to see. I do find it amusing, sue me. :)
There is one guy who must live near me that drives a big ass truck with lettered stickers spelling the word TRUMP in his back window. The artwork on the stickers is actually pretty cool where the letters fade from solid color at the top to American flag theme towards the bottom. Too bad the subject matter is cringeworthy.

/CSB

Reactions: mattymoknows
Patriotic American is the term I would use. The deranged people are the intellect challenged traitors who would attend this fascist get together, like you, I suppose.
Here's where I disagree. You can be appalled by Jan 6 without acting like this guy did. This kid is the "both sides" to the phrase "both sides"

Reactions: Bro D
The owners of Machine Shed (and Johnny's Italian Steakhouse, Thunder Bay Grille and several other mediocre regional chain restaurants that serve heated up TPC crap food) are the Heart of America Group, headed by Mike Whalen, a MAGA who unsuccessfully ran for Congress.

As you would imagine, he enjoys not paying taxes while fighting against raising wages for service industry workers.

I worked with Mike once when he was interested in opening a restaurant in Moline. Not surprised he's a Trumper.

Reactions: torbee

All idiots
I'm with you and normally wouldn't care about these losers at all. Unfortunately we've seen what happens when they are ignored.

I worked with Mike once when he was interested in opening a restaurant in Moline. Not surprised he's a Trumper.
It’s also not surprising because The Machine Shed has one of the worst health inspection records in the state:

The Machine Shed, 7250 Northwest Blvd., Davenport — During a Jan. 9 visit, an inspector found raw chicken breasts that were stored above containers of cooked ham and stuffing, and raw beef steaks that were stored above a container of prepared chicken salad, risking cross-contamination.

Also, a pan of waffle batter was sitting in melted ice and was measured at 49 degrees, too warm to ensure food safety, and a pan holding shredded cheeses and pooled eggs were holding the food 52 to 56 degrees. This violation, related to cold-holding temperatures, had been noted in a previous inspection.

In addition, the reach-in compartment of the salad-preparation cooler was holding chopped lettuce at 46 degrees, garlic in an oil mixture at 47 degrees, and bleu cheese crumbles at 47 degrees. The food was moved to another refrigerator that was capable of holding food at 41 degrees or below.

The inspector also found a pan of prepared prime rib from Dec. 31, and containers of black bean salad and pasta salad from Jan. 2 – all of which were past their seven-day shelf life and had to be discarded.

In addition, a food slicer had dried food debris on it from the previous day; various equipment was not properly disassembled, washed, rinsed and sanitized after use; a knife on the magnetic knife rack had dried food debris on it; a pan in the “clean dishes” rack had food crumbs on it, and a bin to store utensils had a buildup of food debris.

It’s also not surprising because The Machine Shed has one of the worst health inspection records in the state:

The Machine Shed, 7250 Northwest Blvd., Davenport — During a Jan. 9 visit, an inspector found raw chicken breasts that were stored above containers of cooked ham and stuffing, and raw beef steaks that were stored above a container of prepared chicken salad, risking cross-contamination.

Also, a pan of waffle batter was sitting in melted ice and was measured at 49 degrees, too warm to ensure food safety, and a pan holding shredded cheeses and pooled eggs were holding the food 52 to 56 degrees. This violation, related to cold-holding temperatures, had been noted in a previous inspection.

In addition, the reach-in compartment of the salad-preparation cooler was holding chopped lettuce at 46 degrees, garlic in an oil mixture at 47 degrees, and bleu cheese crumbles at 47 degrees. The food was moved to another refrigerator that was capable of holding food at 41 degrees or below.

The inspector also found a pan of prepared prime rib from Dec. 31, and containers of black bean salad and pasta salad from Jan. 2 – all of which were past their seven-day shelf life and had to be discarded.

In addition, a food slicer had dried food debris on it from the previous day; various equipment was not properly disassembled, washed, rinsed and sanitized after use; a knife on the magnetic knife rack had dried food debris on it; a pan in the “clean dishes” rack had food crumbs on it, and a bin to store utensils had a buildup of food debris.
Like most MAGAs, Whalen is cheap, greedy, eschews regulation and is always looking to cut corners and not comply with norms designed to make the world a better and safer place to live.

Machine Shed sucks but they do have wonderful bacon from what I remember /csb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT