ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Death penalty vs Life in Prison

Which one do you consider more horrific of the two choices for American criminals

• Death Penalty

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Life in prison

Votes: 39 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you recognize this post WWJD? vvvvvvvvvvvvv

This mush-brain succumbs to lying minds like yours. Both of you in denial that the silk road scumbag is up on murder charges. Yet you want him free sometime in the future. Why are you always in the pocket of the criminal and the parasitic? Seriously, what the hell happened to you as a child? Is your family a bunch of criminals and/or multi-generational parasites?
Sorry, I've decided I need to take a little break from responding to sociopaths.

The downside to imposing the DP is that millions of dollars are spent by lawyers in appeals that, if I'm not mistaken, are picked up taxpayers.
Well, we could just do away with the lengthy appeals process. Give everyone an automatic, proforma review and then kill them unless a clear error is found. I'm sure some such law could be crafted that would pass constitutional muster.

I'm not recommending this, you understand. But people who like the DP should be pushing for this to eliminate that argument against their bloodthirsty voyeurism.

They are both appalling, but you can improve prison conditions, so there's that.

Great idea......convert the prisons to country clubs........ make them feel loved. Give them rewards, like trophies, metals, special food, regularly scheduled hugging sessions, smart TV's......give them the fulfillments they were cheated out of as a child.

Great idea......convert the prisons to country clubs........ make them feel loved. Give them rewards, like trophies, metals, special food, regularly scheduled hugging sessions, smart TV's......give them the fulfillments they were cheated out of as a child.
The hysterical overreaction. I don't think I would have predicted it would come from you, but it always comes from someone. Usually from the same guys who say "if you think a $15 minimum wage is good, why not make it $100?"

Those of us who don't want our prisons to look like Abu Ghraib aren't asking for luxury. Just conditions that are consistent with our claims to be an advance, civilized culture.

Well, we could just do away with the lengthy appeals process. Give everyone an automatic, proforma review and then kill them unless a clear error is found. I'm sure some such law could be crafted that would pass constitutional muster.

I'm not recommending this, you understand. But people who like the DP should be pushing for this to eliminate that argument against their bloodthirsty voyeurism.

I don't think there is one that can pass Constitutional muster, at least not anymore. Creating a different path just for murderers has a equal protection stink to it.

I don't know what "believe it GW" means, so I can't respond to this.

If you meant "believe in the DP" then yes, I think jail time is better. That said, I have also repeatedly attacked our corrections systems, our sentencing structure, and other elements within our criminal justice system - a system I worked in for several years and have some familiarity with. So saying jail is better than execution is NOT an endorsement of incarceration as we practice it.

If you truly attacked the corrections system and worked with sentencing structure and have years of familiarity with the system, then you of all people would know that "jail" is MUCH different than prison.

I'm throwing the BS flag on your statement.

Disagree. DP is more horrific due to inherent bias by the state. If the state was perfect at delivering justice, it would no longer be the most horrific sentence to hand out. I'm surprised a con would miss that.

You basically confirmed what I said, you realize that, right?

Question for the libs:

For those of you against the death penalty (I assume that's 100%), if you say that Life in Prison is worse, how can you be in favor of a sentence worse than death?????

How the fvck is life in prison appalling for some of the crimes that are being committed?
Put yourself in the convict's position.

Or put yourself in the position of someone who is reasonably civilized and not consumed with the need for revenge and punishment for acts that didn't involve them.

I know that isn't easy for some, but give it a shot.

How the fvck is life in prison appalling for some of the crimes that are being committed?

Because it isn't the crime of the offender that is at issue.

For some, this isn't complicated. Once caught, convicted, the treatment of the prisoner doesn't depend on the act, it depends on many other factors, such as behavior (going forward), ability to follow rules, likelihood of rehabilitation, etc.

I get it, you can't get past the original act.

If you truly attacked the corrections system and worked with sentencing structure and have years of familiarity with the system, then you of all people would know that "jail" is MUCH different than prison.

I'm throwing the BS flag on your statement.

Lots of places, jurisdictions, clarify "jail" and "prison" differently. Iowa uses jail for County, Prison for State institutions. Way to try and nitpick, really furthers the debate.

All I know is that if you locked up a crazed, vicious animal for the rest of it's natural life people would call it inhumane.

Just help strengthen the heard and speed along the natural selection process.

Put them down.

You realize your first sentence invalidates your second sentence. If the DP is the most horrific to impose, then by definition a life sentence can't be worse. Are you starting to learn that a liberal mind defeats logic with emotion when tasked with solving problems?

You clearly misunderstood his post, and then doubled down on it later.

But really I wanted to find out how you think the DP supporters in this thread are not utilizing emotion over logic. The bare simplicity of the DP is an emotional response. It often, if not always, begins with "he deserves it," an emotional thought process.

All I know is that if you locked up a crazed, vicious animal for the rest of it's natural life people would call it inhumane.

Just help strengthen the heard and speed along the natural selection process.

Put them down.

So, our human thought process should be, "well what do we do with animals...?"

So we should bring back slavery then?

So, our human thought process should be, "well what do we do with animals...?"

So we should bring back slavery then?

No. We need to speed up and cost reduce the process.

Chris Rock once had a bit about the "Stabbin' Chair."

"Stabbin's don't cost nuthin!" "Stabbin's is free!"

There's my solution.

No. We need to speed up and cost reduce the process.

Chris Rock once had a bit about the "Stabbin' Chair."

"Stabbin's don't cost nuthin!" "Stabbin's is free!"

There's my solution.

That's fine, and I respect that opinion, but comparing it to animals just clouds the issue in nonsensical ways. Sure, on its face it makes dumb people agree with you, but it doesn't further your point.

Stick to your real point, like you did above.

Put yourself in the convict's position.

Or put yourself in the position of someone who is reasonably civilized and not consumed with the need for revenge and punishment for acts that didn't involve them.

I know that isn't easy for some, but give it a shot.
I'm talking about for people like Holmes, Dahmer, Tsarnaev, McVeigh, etc....either DP or life without parole...DP=death penalty, not double penetration...though that could be punishment too.

Imo, "life" should always be without parole. Some of the DP states have their sentencing stuff completely twisted and illogical, largely because they do have DP.

Lots of places, jurisdictions, clarify "jail" and "prison" differently. Iowa uses jail for County, Prison for State institutions. Way to try and nitpick, really furthers the debate.

Ok. Let's see if you understand it this way. 364 days or less is JAIL. 365 days or more is PRISON. 99 counties, 99 jails that hold and process inmates during court times. Once convicted in court, the judge will sentence them to either prison or jail depending on the charge. There are 9 prisons. We receive inmates from all 99 counties throughout the state and parole violators.

Make sense now? There's a difference between jail and prison.

Ok. Let's see if you understand it this way. 364 days or less is JAIL. 365 days or more is PRISON. 99 counties, 99 jails that hold and process inmates during court times. Once convicted in court, the judge will sentence them to either prison or jail depending on the charge. There are 9 prisons. We receive inmates from all 99 counties throughout the state and parole violators.

This is just stupid. And wrong. Most people use "jail" and "prison" interchangeably in conversation - like what happens here. Moreover in different jurisdictions they may be different meanings that are NOT what you just wrote. In many, for example, jail refers to the local facility vs the state facility. Elsewhere it may refer to the pretrial holding facility. Elsewhere it's the term used for the Sheriff's holding facility. There are probably other variations, but those are the ones I've run across.

I'm talking about for people like Holmes, Dahmer, Tsarnaev, McVeigh, etc....either DP or life without parole...DP=death penalty, not double penetration...though that could be punishment too.
I don't think you make good policy if you base it on the worst monsters. Why aren't guys like Cheney and Bush on that list? And if Cheney and Bush, then others from both sides of the aisle, but if we can't even bring ourselves to renounce them, do we have the moral authority to renounce anyone?

Personally, although I strongly oppose the death penalty, I recognize that I live in a nation that isn't that civilized. So I would be willing to have a conversation on what crimes are so bad that execution still makes sense. I think the selling of public office or abuse of public power should probably get the ax. Gross assaults on public safety or behavior that knowingly leads to great harm.

So . . . corrupt politicians and those who bribe them. And banksters who ran the scams that put millions out work and cost them their homes. Feel free to execute them. Maybe professional climate change deniers - the ones who push the lies not the dupes who believe them, although sometimes that's a fine line. And what about the mega-evangelists and other top religious frauds?

Who have you got at the top of your list?

Last edited:

We get it, you are a CO. You are nitpicking for no reason. It doesn't further any part of this thread's discussion.

I don't think you make good policy if you base it on the worst monsters. Why aren't guys like Cheney and Bush on that list? And if Cheney and Bush, then others from both sides of the aisle, but if we can't even bring ourselves to renounce them, do we have the moral authority to renounce anyone?

Personally, although I strongly oppose the death penalty, I recognize that I live in a nation that isn't that civilized. So I would be willing to have a conversation on what crimes are so bad that execution still makes sense. I think the selling of public office or abuse of public power should probably get the ax. Gross assaults on public safety or behavior that knowingly leads to great harm.

So . . . corrupt criminals and those who bribe them. And banksters who ran the scams that put millions out work and cost them their homes. Feel free to execute them. Maybe professional climate change deniers - the ones who push the lies not the dupes who believe them, although sometimes that's a fine line. And what about the mega-evangelists and other top religious frauds?

Who have you got at the top of your list?
I'd agree on Cheney. Pedophiles, serial killers, serial rapists, terrorists.

You clearly misunderstood his post, and then doubled down on it later.

But really I wanted to find out how you think the DP supporters in this thread are not utilizing emotion over logic. The bare simplicity of the DP is an emotional response. It often, if not always, begins with "he deserves it," an emotional thought process.

Of all the young boys you've had, he obviously sucks your ***k the best. Let him fight his own battles. Or do you make him call you daddy, and now you're doing your parental best to defend your "boy"?

Answer my question at the end of the first page and I'll know you really want to debate.

Question for the libs:

For those of you against the death penalty (I assume that's 100%), if you say that Life in Prison is worse, how can you be in favor of a sentence worse than death?????

I guessI didn't think I for your "lib" moniker so this wasn't fore, but ok.

You aren't comprehending the basic distinction:

The subject that "worse" applies to. As a civilized society I think it is illogical, immoral, and needless (also hypocritical) to kill someone for killing. I think it could be worse to ensure solitary confinement for decades than be put to death, but that doesn't make the ACT worse than killing.

I, personally, don't find life imprisonment to be cruel nor worse than the DP, so again, your question didn't apply to me. But there's your answer.

Nope. Not a C.O.

I just figured that he's a really smart liberal and he should know the correct term.

Also, to pick the nits of your nitpicking: 365 days can still be jail, not 364. Both Serious and Aggravated Misdemeanors can carry up to a year in jail, not just less than.

This is just stupid. And wrong. Most people use "jail" and "prison" interchangeably in conversation - like what happens here. Moreover in different jurisdictions they may be different meanings that are NOT what you just wrote. In many, for example, jail refers to the local facility vs the state facility. Elsewhere it may refer to the pretrial holding facility. Elsewhere it's the term used for the Sheriff's holding facility. There are probably other variations, but those are the ones I've run across.

And most people would be wrong. Jail IS the local facility and its also the pretrial holding facility. You get taken to prison FROM jail.

And the Sheriff's department are the ones that run the jails. That's what they do. The police arrest a subject and get taken to a JAIL run by the SHERIFF'S department. While going through their trial, they are held in JAIL. If convicted for a term 365 or more, they go to PRISON. If convicted for a term 364 days or less, they go back to JAIL where they were being held.

Pretty simple really.

Question for the libs:

I am a conservative against the death penalty 100% and believe life in prison is worse.
It is a better punishment, IMO, and I am pro-life... which extends to scumbags, too. (Although, too many conservatives that are pro-life think the line is drawn prior to scumbags, which is hypocritical and stupid.)

I think the DP is a more horrific action for the state to impose. I think life in prison is a more horrific thing to endure.

I would agree on both points. I certainly agree with the first point. I don't think the state should have the right to take a life as punishment for a crime. I believe this for a lot of reasons, but not the least of which is our imperfect system of justice. As horrible as it is to take decades of someone's life away through an incorrect guilty verdict, you can at least let that person out of prison and give them some cash. You can't unkill anyone.

The more horrible to endure is obviously a personal thing and we shouldn't base our laws on these kinds of things. I think I would tend to agree that a life in prison with no chance of parole would be brutal to endure mentally....but every day you draw breath is a day where you can find something good in life (though it wouldn't be easy to keep that outlook in the can).

And most people would be wrong. Jail IS the local facility and its also the pretrial holding facility. You get taken to prison FROM jail.

And the Sheriff's department are the ones that run the jails. That's what they do. The police arrest a subject and get taken to a JAIL run by the SHERIFF'S department. While going through their trial, they are held in JAIL. If convicted for a term 365 or more, they go to PRISON. If convicted for a term 364 days or less, they go back to JAIL where they were being held.

Pretty simple really.
So, in other words, after blowing a gasket, you are agreeing with me on all my points except for the 364 day stuff. Which may be true in your jurisdiction, but not everywhere.

You would be more credible if you would just admit that you were wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT