ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Do you want deaf truck drivers on the road with you?

Do you want truck drivers who can't hear on the road with you?

• Sure, why not?

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Unsure about this....

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • WTF? Hell no!

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002

JURY AWARDS OVER $36 MILLION IN DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION CASE AGAINST WERNER TRUCKING

Nebraska Trucking Companies Refused to Hire or Reasonably Accommodate Qualified Deaf Driver

ST. LOUIS – An eight-person jury in Omaha, Nebraska returned a verdict of $36,075,000 in favor of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) on disability discrimination claims against Drivers Management, LLC and Werner Enterprises, Inc., the federal agency announced today. The jury awarded Robinson $75,000 in compensatory damages and $36,000,000 in punitive damages after deliberating for less than two hours following a four-day trial, finding that Drivers Management and Werner’s conduct violates the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

“Victor Robinson had the courage to step forward and say what happened to him was wrong,” said EEOC Chair Charlotte A. Burrows. “The jury agreed, and their substantial verdict sends a clear message to employers everywhere that our nation will not tolerate disability discrimination,”

The jury found that the truckload carriers failed to hire and failed to accommodate Victor Robinson, who is deaf, for a truck driving job in 2016. The EEOC presented evidence that Robinson applied to work at Werner after completing training at Roadmaster, a Werner-owned truck driving school, and obtaining his commercial driver’s license (CDL). Robinson also obtained from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) an exemption from the hearing regulation for the operation of a commercial motor vehicle. After he applied, Werner’s Vice President of Safety told Robinson that the company would not hire him because he could not hear. The Vice President of Safety testified at trial that Werner continues to deny employment opportunities to new Deaf drivers.

“The jury heard the evidence and called Werner’s conduct what it was – unacceptable,” said Andrea G. Baran, regional attorney for EEOC’s St. Louis District. “Like everyone else, Deaf people deserve a fair chance to make a living and to support themselves and their families,” added St. Louis District Director David Davis.

“Werner’s refusal to acknowledge Mr. Robinson’s abilities hurt not only him, but the entire Deaf community,” said EEOC’s trial team, Supervisory Trial Attorney Joshua M. Pierson and Trial Attorneys Meredith S. Berwick and Lauren Wilson. “As this verdict demonstrates, companies like Werner that deny reasonable accommodations to drivers with disabilities do so at their peril.”

According to its website, Werner maintains offices in the United States, Canada, Mexico, China and Australia and is among the five largest truckload carriers in the United States. Its wholly-owned subsidiary company, Drivers Management, employs, trains, and manages drivers.

The EEOC filed its lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska (EEOC v. Drivers Management, LLC and Werner Enterprises, Inc., Case No. 8:18-cv-00462) after first attempting to reach a pre-litigation settlement through its conciliation process. The EEOC’s St. Louis District Office oversees Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and a portion of southern Illinois.

The EEOC advances opportunity in the workplace by enforcing federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. More information about disability discrimination is available at https://www.eeoc.gov/disability-discrimination. Stay connected with the latest EEOC news by subscribing to our email updates.

In an effort to make the highways and interstates of this country safer and more regulated for trucking, ELD logs have made the industry more dangerous than it ever was, IMO. As far as a driver being deaf, I don't see a huge safety problem with it.

In an effort to make the highways and interstates of this country safer and more regulated for trucking, ELD logs have made the industry more dangerous than it ever was, IMO. As far as a driver being deaf, I don't see a huge safety problem with it.

They can't hear car horns. They can't hear emergency vehicle sirens. Hell, they can't hear a CB radio.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Wow. That’s scary. Prone or supine?
Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha
Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Yes, they can’t hear. You have diagnosed the issue.

You don’t think there’s adaptive or assistive technologies for a deaf driver?

Good grief, break out of your little world.

Okay... there's a technology that will alert the truck driver veering into my lane that I'm frantically blowing my horn? I'm all for that.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I thought you had to be able to hear? That's why you're not supposed to drive with headphones or airpods in?

Yes, you should not voluntarily restrict one of your senses.

Sorry, I have a deaf relative and I’m sensitive to this issue.

Trad out there with the bullshit narrow world view that we can’t let licensed deaf drivers drive. FFS

Trad out there with the bullshit narrow world view that we can’t let licensed deaf drivers drive. FFS
Trad lives in a bubble. Probably was home schooled.

I'm not talking about your deaf relative driving a Honda FIT.

I'm talking about big rig CDL truckers.

I get you being sensitive to it, and to be fair I don't know anyone with hearing impairment. I wonder how they could compensate for not hearing horns, emergency vehicles, etc. And not be at an increased risk of having an accident - which is bad enough in a passenger vehicle, but worse with a semi truck.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Then vote in the poll.

A truck driver almost ran me off a bridge a couple of weeks ago and me laying on my horn probably saved my life.
My son drove for Werner for a few months after getting his CDL to get some experience. Lane departure, adaptive cruse control, automatics, 68 MPH governor, as close to an RV as you can get. There's no reason for them to discriminate.

I do hate that this will likely kill Werner though.

My son drove for Werner for a few months after getting his CDL to get some experience. Lane departure, adaptive cruse control, automatics, 68 MPH governor, as close to an RV as you can get. There's no reason for them to discriminate.

I do hate that this will likely kill Werner though.

They will appeal and the ridiculous punitive judgment will be cured somewhat.

But then when a deaf truck driver kills someone, THAT jury will do the same thing to them.

I get you being sensitive to it, and to be fair I don't know anyone with hearing impairment. I wonder how they could compensate for not hearing horns, emergency vehicles, etc. And not be at an increased risk of having an accident - which is bad enough in a passenger vehicle, but worse with a semi truck.

There are HUDs that tell you if there is a police or ambulance siren. My Uncle has something like this. Not as fancy as this but gives you a HUD alert that tells when a siren or horn is blowing and from which direction.

Why have electronic logs made the roads more dangerous?

There are HUDs that tell you if there is a police or ambulance siren. My Uncle has something like this. Not as fancy as this but gives you a HUD alert that tells when a siren or horn is blowing and from which direction.

That's pretty cool! I'd be fine with someone driving that had that kind of heads up. Maybe we should all have that!

I was more thinking of someone barreling down the road in a huge truck/ trailer that couldn't hear anything going on around them.

Maybe he was blind, not deaf
Most likely the driver was posting on HORT, talking on their phone, watching season 3 of Stranger Things, high on meth, sleep deprived, high on meth and sleep deprived, or woefully undertrained. Always assume any big truck driver is one or more of these things. They aren't, but its safe to assume they are and you'll react more quickly when they attempt to run you over.

If the HUD device works than not a problem.

If they are giving him a CDL than he's obviously already qualified to drive a car and has been for some time.

How did he pass his cdl physical? I got one ear that's getting closer and closer to disqualifying me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT