ADVERTISEMENT

Poll Finds Majority Of Americans Support An International Climate Agreement

fredjr82

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
WASHINGTON -- A new poll finds an overwhelming majority of Americans support an international agreement to cut planet-warming emissions.

The poll found 72 percent of likely 2016 voters said they support the United States signing on to an international agreement on climate change.

The Benenson Strategy Group conducted the polling for the environmental organizations Sierra Club and Union of Concerned Scientists, and surveyed 1,000 expected voters.

Sixty-five percent of respondents said they thought the United States "should take the lead and make meaningful reductions in its carbon emissions and other gases that may cause global warming." Even a majority of Republican respondents -- 52 percent -- expressed support for the U.S. joining an international agreement on climate change. A much stronger percentage of Democrats, at 88 percent, supported it, as did 73 percent of independents.

Coequyt argued that this could pose a problem for Republican politicians, many of whom have argued against the U.S. joining an international climate agreement. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has opposed the agreement between the U.S. and China to reduce emissions, as have other Republican leaders in Congress.

"I think what this shows is that that messaging we're getting from Republicans is not driven by their constituents, it's driven by the fundraising they have to do to stay in office," said Coequyt. "This sets up a real challenge for candidates who don't want to be for an agreement. They're going to have to basically take unpopular positions."

Link

Originally posted by fredjr82:

WASHINGTON -- A new poll finds an overwhelming majority of Americans support an international agreement to cut planet-warming emissions.

The poll found 72 percent of likely 2016 voters said they support the United States signing on to an international agreement on climate change.

The Benenson Strategy Group conducted the polling for the environmental organizations Sierra Club and Union of Concerned Scientists, and surveyed 1,000 expected voters.

Sixty-five percent of respondents said they thought the United States "should take the lead and make meaningful reductions in its carbon emissions and other gases that may cause global warming." Even a majority of Republican respondents -- 52 percent -- expressed support for the U.S. joining an international agreement on climate change. A much stronger percentage of Democrats, at 88 percent, supported it, as did 73 percent of independents.

Coequyt argued that this could pose a problem for Republican politicians, many of whom have argued against the U.S. joining an international climate agreement. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has opposed the agreement between the U.S. and China to reduce emissions, as have other Republican leaders in Congress.

"I think what this shows is that that messaging we're getting from Republicans is not driven by their constituents, it's driven by the fundraising they have to do to stay in office," said Coequyt. "This sets up a real challenge for candidates who don't want to be for an agreement. They're going to have to basically take unpopular positions."
Every other poll I have seen shows Americans are less concerned with the myth of man made global warming than ever and every poll shows its very low on the list of concerns of Americans. No Republican will be hurt by their opposition to this pact.

Originally posted by aflachawk:

Every other poll I have seen shows Americans are less concerned with the myth of man made global warming than ever and every poll shows its very low on the list of concerns of Americans. No Republican will be hurt by their opposition to this pact.
Ten years from now you'll be denying you ever held such incredibly stupid views and lamenting how the ignorant masses (who will of course have morphed into liberals in your mind) prevented us from taking sensible action before the impact of climate change got so bad and while we could have taken those steps at a much lower cost.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
Ten years from now you'll be denying you ever held such incredibly stupid views and lamenting how the ignorant masses (who will of course have morphed into liberals in your mind) prevented us from taking sensible action before the impact of climate change got so bad and while we could have taken those steps at a much lower cost.
You are pretty optimistic. My bet would be on aflac's grand kids having this thought.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

Well, thank God we got over that little global cooling thing you guys were yelling from the mountain tops back in the 70s. I guess there's more money in global warming as exhibited by Algore's astounding rise in personal wealth.

This poll is total bullshit. So the SIERRA GROUP hires this Benenson Strategy Group and pays them to come up with the result they hired them for? This is funny. Strict polling companies show this isn't the case. Why does the SG have to hire a company that develops strategies for the them? You can't be serious when you post this?

Our clients come to us with their most complex communication, brand, and marketing challenges. By drawing upon innovative research, we uncover the values that shape opinions. We then turn that data into insights to develop messages that drive choice and change for consumers, voters, employees, members, donors, and elite audiences. The result is that our clients are equipped with the insights-driven strategies they need to succeed.[/B]

[/B]We advise:Corporate leaders seeking to build brands, achieve growth, or make decisions in complex, competitive environments[/B]Nonprofits and advocacy institutions seeking to change minds and policy[/B]Political candidates seeking to win elections and attract voters to their points of view[/B]
We uncover the frequently conflicting values that really drive choice and change. Then we craft communications that resonate on an intense emotional level, reconcile the conflicts, and prompt your audience to say "yes."

We have done this successfully for Fortune 500 companies, advocacy groups, and 13 prime ministers and presidents worldwide, including Barack Obama.

Link

Was this an April fools joke? Because I think the cons are correct, people just don't care.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:
Was this an April fools joke? Because I think the cons are correct, people just don't care.
I think people do care about the environment. I certainly do, and I'm far from a left-lean, as most people know.

The problem is we can talk about signing something all day long... but you better get China, India, ASEAN, the Middle East, and other non-US / EURO countries to come along.

Now, what if these other countries sign on and don't follow it? What are we going to do to them? Fight a war?

Originally posted by Pepperman:
I think people do care about the environment. I certainly do, and I'm far from a left-lean, as most people know.

The problem is we can talk about signing something all day long... but you better get China, India, ASEAN, the Middle East, and other non-US / EURO countries to come along.

Now, what if these other countries sign on and don't follow it? What are we going to do to them? Fight a war?
China seems to be on board

TIANJIN -- China's carbon emissions saw the largest drop in years as the nation furthers structural readjustment to improve growth quality, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Wednesday.

The country's carbon intensity was cut by about 5 percent in the first half of the year, the largest drop in many years, the premier said in an address to the Summer Davos forum, also known as the Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2014, being held in the port city of Tianjin in north China.

Meanwhile, energy consumption per unit of gross domestic product dropped 4.2 percent year on year during the period, the premier said. "In the first half of the year, the growth of investment and production of industries with high energy consumption and emissions noticeably slowed down," Li said.Through reform and innovation, the country has moved to reduce overcapacity and foster new growth areas. China has been promoting business mergers and reorganization while redoubling efforts to conserve energy and cut emissions, Li said.

China has consumed less coal, electricity and oil and eased pressures on transport capacity in achieving the same GDP growth, he said.

Tackling climate change is not only China's binding international obligation as a major responsible country, but also a pressing need for the country's own development.

Link

Likely several

Re: Poll Finds Majority Of Americans Support An International Climate

I think people do care about the environment.  I certainly do, and I'm far from a left-lean, as most people know.

Now, what if these other countries sign on and don't follow it?  What are we going to do to them?  Fight a war?
Likely several
Just to be clear I support a clean environment also but I believe the current hysteria about man mad global warming is a giant con job that is meant to draw power and money into fewer and fewer hands. We have seen manipulation of numbers and data from scientists but none of that ever matters to the true adherents. To them it's not a matter of science, in reality it's a matter of faith. And they have the audacity to mock Christians for their faith in some thing unseen. Pretty amazing really
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: Poll Finds Majority Of Americans Support An International Climate

Just to be clear I support a clean environment also but I believe the current hysteria about man mad global warming is a giant con job that is meant to draw power and money into fewer and fewer hands. We have seen manipulation of numbers and data from scientists but none of that ever matters to the true adherents. To them it's not a matter of science, in reality it's a matter of faith. And they have the audacity to mock Christians for their faith in some thing unseen. Pretty amazing really
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Speaking of hysteria, that's a fine illustration. If only it were meta, it would be hilarious.

Yes, today's economy > tomorrow's environment for most

China's on board. That's funny. If it weren't so ironic. Smog so thick you can literally cut it like a brick of cheese. Those pictures of it are literally sickening...how can people live in that astounds me. I'd have to carry oxygen with me to live there. It'd be like living on the moon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT